NZXT H510 vs H510i mATX and alternatives

Soldato
Hi guys,

Looking at the NZXT H510 I notice there is also an i version which has:
  • Vertical GPU mount (not bothered)
  • Smart Device V2 includes a faster microprocessor providing NZXT CAM-powered control of two HUE 2 RGB lighting channels, and three fan channels that support either voltage regulated or PWM fans.
What is the Smart Device and why would I need it? I'm not planning on overclocking and the only change I will probably make is to move one of the stock fans from the top to the front.

Two other cases I'm looking at are the Enthoo Evolv and Coolmaster Silencio S400. Any preferences for any of these four in particular?

Thanks

Soldato
The smart device is essentially a PWM Fan/Lighting hub.

You would plug this into your motherboard via USB header and download the NZXT CAM software which would allow you to monitor temps and system status, set lighting (The I variant comes with two LED strips also) - It's NZXT equivalent to the Corsair Commander Pro for example.

Evolv is fantastic, but the ITX and mATX variants are dated now - Phanteks have updated the ATX version to the Evolv X - the dated ones are OK but lack the visual aspects out of the box (RGB lighting) and things like USB Type C but if you're not bothered about that, its cracking.

No experience with the CM one I'm afraid.

I recently decided to get the H210 (Non-I) because I have bought into the Corsair eco system. To my surprise the build quality of the case was rubbish. Flimsy panels and the way the front panel connected, by this lousy plastic clips which I could forsee breaking if you tinker a lot with your PC. As a result I returned it to OCUK. Food for thought and maybe the mATX is a bit better, but something for you to consider. To be fair the H line of cases from NZXT do have great reviews.

Soldato
OP
I recently decided to get the H210 (Non-I) because I have bought into the Corsair eco system. To my surprise the build quality of the case was rubbish. Flimsy panels and the way the front panel connected, by this lousy plastic clips which I could forsee breaking if you tinker a lot with your PC. As a result I returned it to OCUK. Food for thought and maybe the mATX is a bit better, but something for you to consider. To be fair the H line of cases from NZXT do have great reviews.

Having watched a few reviews from people saying "why get Micro ATX when you could get an ATX for only 2-3cm difference" I think I'm starting to agree. I keep coming back to the Cooler Master S400 but otherwise I'm stuck between the H510, CORSAIR iCUE 220T RGB Airflow, and Fractal MESHIFY C BLACKOUT. Really don't want to be spending more than £90 max.

Associate
I have the H500i and as HoneyBadger said the smart device should really just be looked at as a fan/rgb controller, the 'smart' features are pretty pointless and you can get better results by creating a custom fan curve. CAM has a bad reputation but the new version is not too bad and allows me to monitor my system and control the fans/lights better than my motherboard software.

The i versions come with the RGB light strips installed so if you're interested in RGB this saves the hassle of buying separate strips and installing them. For me this and having an external fan controller was worth the extra.

If you do go for the H510 I wouldn't move the top fan to the front as it will likely make it hotter, the stock configuration uses a negative pressure setup and is pretty effective. The GamersNexus review goes into more detail on this and I have had similar results.

Back
Top Bottom