My thermal flask test thread.

Associate
OP
Anyways that is my mission for this test to be transparent as possible and for people to know which flask to get.

So food for thought, i am up for doing all sorts of tests to see what flask or whatever is best for this or that, like storing hot food how long it lasts but yea obviously you don't put food in a flask hah, but one designed for storing food though.

But first will be the boiling water test.

I bet the thermos flask will be first but will know from the test results.

Soldato
And there's how much heat the contents lose when a flask is opened. That's an important factor for those who regularly top-up their cups.

I appreciate this is quite an undertaking though and agree that testing at full capacity with boiling water is a good starting point. I'm surprised there aren't websites covering this already.

Associate
OP
Right well i will start my 24 hour test run with boiling water, i'l be testing 4 flasks because about 5 minutes ago the rest of what i needed has arrived as with the picture below.

Going to have to remove the paper instruction thingy in side the flask i think.

83027121_10157916635662375_2386977969387077632_o.jpg

Edit

Ready to go

82905193_10157916663562375_483436674114650112_o.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Did you warm the flasks first?

A quick swish around with about a cups worth of hot water, when you tip it out it's surprisingly cool.

Sigh no i didn't do that, i will have to do another 24 hour test but with the flasks heated as you say if requested.

Anyways it will still give us a good idea on how good the flask is which was not heated though (i hope), to be fair all the flasks i test were all cold and all of them had the same starting temperature when i filled them all with boiling water.

I will give my results very soon now for the 6 hr test.

Dan.

Last edited:
Soldato
the more flasks are coming from amazon prime ? you could be waiting.

what's the pre-heat strategy ?
will be interesting to see the build of the zorsky***, they have a reputation, and associated price tag.
but, for anything but sports where it could get banged around glass is still best ? walking/skiing/climbing excepted - never dented a metal nonetheless.

aren't there some titanium ones floating about ?... would love that for a bike frame.

Once I went stainless I never looked back! Never go for glass they always break. Fall out your bag... break. Slip out of your hand... break. Roll off the car seat... break. Titanium... meh. Get a Thermos as a minimum avoid the cheapo no name brands the metals thin and the plastic cup liner falls out or cracks easily once the cups had it the flask has pretty much too.

After a while of no washing you don't need tea bags

TSU1ezB.jpg

I find once they get to that state the milk in the tea goes wierd if you leave it for any length of time, coagulates into lumps and separates out. Not pleasant.

Tablespoon of washing powder in the bottom, fill with boiling water give a good shake and leave to soak overnight and she's be right as rain. Rinse out throughly afterwards unless you want tea that tastes of soap.

Associate
OP
Ok here are my results for 6 hours thus far.

From start 0 hours in all flasks the water was all 93c

Now 6 hours later the results are below and it is a close one so far.

And all flasks started cold

1st place is the thermos ultimate (900ml) at 87c
2nd place is the stanley legendary classic bottle (1 litre) at 85c
3rd place is the klean tk pro (1 litre) at 83c
4th place is the sigg hot and cold (1 litre) at 80c.

Next up will be around midnight for the 12 hr test.

Dan

Last edited:
Caporegime
Doesn't a smaller volume lose heat more slowly? What I mean is that 900ml (first place) compared to 1000ml (all others) seems to have an advantage.

caveat: physics and chemistry and I don't get along so this might be utter nonsense.

e: more importantly, this is the best thread OP. Love your work x

Last edited:
Soldato
think it's like if you make a big cup of tea it stays warm for longer than a small cup....more hot stuff to stay hot!

Yes, that's right. A big cup of tea (or flask) will have a greater volume to surface area ratio meaning it will cool down slower than a smaller cup of tea (or flask).

Soldato
Does that mean that the Thermos Ultimate is over-performing given it's at a disadvantage regarding volume and heat retention?

Yes, it would appear so. They are all fairly similar shapes so nothing to suggest the others have a disproportionally greater surface area.

Soldato
Ive already said my stanley is amazing and a lifetime guarantee but there is room for a little improvement as i can feel a little warmth through the screw stopper thingy ,still gives me hot tea after many hours ,just saying ,for ultimate

Back
Top Bottom