Voiding warranty?

Soldato
Cheers. It's frustrating that 3 have said the same. Porsche saw it first end, the other 2 saw that same image.
I can understand the Porsche tech mentioning it while it's in for inspection service. No way should any tester be saying that constitutes an MOT fail. Looks like any brake pipe on a car over a year old.

Soldato
It's just surface rust. If they are going to fail people for that, then every UK car over about a year old is "unroadworthy".

This kind of thing makes MOT histories untrustworthy. Some testers are very lenient, some fail cars for stuff which isn't really a problem. I've seen cars with totally clean MOT histories which have issues, others with loads of fails but are almost immaculate :/

Soldato
It's just surface rust. If they are going to fail people for that, then every UK car over about a year old is "unroadworthy".

This kind of thing makes MOT histories untrustworthy. Some testers are very lenient, some fail cars for stuff which isn't really a problem. I've seen cars with totally clean MOT histories which have issues, others with loads of fails but are almost immaculate :/
Yip comes down to standard of tester. Worked with a few guys who you just wouldn't trust to work on or assess your car.

Soldato
If you can get some made of copper, what about steel or even stainless then it's a moot point. I highly doubt a technician could tell the difference between stainless and mild steel brake lines apart from a lack of rust:p. I'd be wary of copper pipe, as it will oxidise to some extent, brake fluid may even eat through it as I've heard it's quite corrosive.

Caporegime
OP
If you can get some made of copper, what about steel or even stainless then it's a moot point. I highly doubt a technician could tell the difference between stainless and mild steel brake lines apart from a lack of rust:p. I'd be wary of copper pipe, as it will oxidise to some extent, brake fluid may even eat through it as I've heard it's quite corrosive.

Copper, from corrosivity point of view is better than steel or stainless.

Soldato
Its ok guys, I've digitally enhanced the photo and hopefully made it a lot clearer.

blurred-bokeh-background_36923-877.jpg

Associate
I would definitely be attacking them with a wire brush. Once the surface corrosion is off you will be able to see if they are pitted or not. Couple of minutes work will either save you a fortune or confirm the brakes need urgent safety maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom