LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Caporegime
You can get a decent IPS monitor for cheap enough these days.

Do you need g/free sync, 100+HZ, 1ms response rate, 40+" and 4k if just wanting to browse or work with excel, word docs etc.?

But yes, space is the main reason, which is fair enough.

Soldato
You can get a decent IPS monitor for cheap enough these days.

Do you need g/free sync, 100+HZ, 1ms response rate, 40+" and 4k if just wanting to browse or work with excel, word docs etc.?

But yes, space is the main reason, which is fair enough.

I've yet to see a decent monitor full stop... I've gone through about 20 monitors in the past year or so... VA and IPS... every single one has SERIOUS issues. I actually don't believe good LCD exists anymore, and anyone who says it does is just accepting of issues or blind.

Sure, if you just want to browse the web etc. then these things don't matter... and for such people an OLED obviously isn't going to be on their radar.

Associate
I’m eagerly awaiting the 77 inch oled to drop in price but looks like they increase it to 5999
I am hoping the 77” drop to £3500 this year like last.

reading around people in Sweden I believe it was had done great deals on it during BF. Doesn’t help us much here though,

Associate
Thing is though when you can buy an oled tv for a third of the high end IPS monitors cost, does it matter if you have to keep buying a new tv every two years? Over 6 years it will have cost you the same money but you will have used far superior screens for that time.

Oled’s are easy enough to get with 5year warranties anyway. Get it from the right place and you can return screen with screen burn easily enough.

It’s a no brainer to choose Oled.

Soldato
This is my sit distance. Currently in 4k

C9.jpg

Indeed the 48"will be even better.

Looks an awesome setup. Agree the 48" will be amazing, those few inches less means the screen can be a tad closer and much less head movement. Can't wait!

Caporegime
This could be a solution. A dual setup, though it might not look so nice aesthetically, it would help the OLED.

Depends how it is setup, if trying to incorporate it within your current normal PC desk setup then yeah probably won't look great.

But if your room has the space, could do something similar to mine i.e. where my OLED is mounted on wall but I still have my desk for PC/monitor usage so really it's just like a TV but with a PC desk at the side for the usual PC gaming setup.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Oled’s are easy enough to get with 5year warranties anyway. Get it from the right place and you can return screen with screen burn easily enough.

It’s a no brainer to choose Oled.
Who protects against screen burn-in?

Associate
Dont really get why so many people are fixated on burn in, Rtings have had there test sets on static content for 5 hours a day for over 5 years and they are only just starting to show burnin on static images. I had a plasma for years before my OLED and has zero issues with burin or retentation. They way someone people are talking here having a webpage open for 5 minutes will totaly destroy their TV lol :confused:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Dont really get why so many people are fixated on burn in, Rtings have had there test sets on static content for 5 hours a day for over 5 years and they are only just starting to show burnin on static images. I had a plasma for years before my OLED and has zero issues with burin or retentation. They way someone people are talking here having a webpage open for 5 minutes will totaly destroy their TV lol :confused:
The discussion is around using it as a monitor. That's gonna have the taskbar on for the majority of the time.

Haven't had any issues with my b6 and I watch YouTube a lot. All I know it's LG don't cover burn in under warranty so why would retailers.

Soldato
Hmm a 48 OLED would be a very serious contender for a new screen for me. My C9 55 is beautiful and when I dragged the PC downstairs over Xmas gaming was jaw dropping. Would have to upgrade the 2080ti to next generation though to get 4k @120hz in full glorious colour. Would make for a very expensive upgrade all together. Still it might be worth it depending on the price of the 48"

Associate

Because people want to be able to relax, and use their display as they see fit. That means if they want to play a game with a static image in the bottom left, for 10 hours straight on a Sunday after working 6 days a week, then so be it. If they want to browse the web and Reddit without worrying about static text, then so be it.. so on and so forth. You cannot use an LG oled in a carefree and relaxed manner, you have to be calculated and plan everything you do, remember to not forget something or whatever....

Its just a headache IMHO, and when we can have the benefits of OLED without the fear of Burn in, I'll be there waiting with an open wallet!

Caporegime
For what it's worth, I use my LG OLED in a carefree and relaxed way :D

Although as said above, I don't use it for browsing, reddit or word, excel etc. documents..... I have other displays and/or devices where I do this stuff, which is far better for that type of usage anyway i.e. my phone for reddit usage, my desktop or laptop for work, browsing etc. stuff.

Leave a game on pause for half an hour or hour? No problem as the LG tv dims to the lowest brightness after 5 minutes automatically with no activity detected or it will activate the fireworks screensaver for me, I even fall asleep with the tv on at times (TV will then auto turn off after 4 hours with no activity at all)

Don't think I have ever done a 10 hour gaming session though.... maybe 6/7 hours at most....

The discussion is around using it as a monitor. That's gonna have the taskbar on for the majority of the time.

Haven't had any issues with my b6 and I watch YouTube a lot. All I know it's LG don't cover burn in under warranty so why would retailers.

Taskbar not even really the problem as you can auto hide it, I do this on my LCD monitor anyway as prefer it like this.

Associate

Although as said above, I don't use it for browsing, reddit or word, excel etc. documents..... I have other displays and/or devices where I do this stuff, which is far better for that type of usage anyway i.e. my phone for reddit usage, my desktop or laptop for work, browsing etc. stuff.

Leave a game on pause for half an hour or hour? No problem as the LG tv dims to the lowest brightness after 5 minutes automatically with no activity detected or it will activate the fireworks screensaver for me, I even fall asleep with the tv on at times (TV will then auto turn off after 4 hours with no activity at all)

Don't think I have ever done a 10 hour gaming session though.... maybe 6/7 hours at most....

Taskbar not even really the problem as you can auto hide it, I do this on my LCD monitor anyway as prefer it like this.

No offence then mate, but your input is rather moot then...

You don’t use your OLED as a monitor or display for work and you don’t game on it like a pc gamer would either....

Rather somewhat contradicting statements, carefree usage, but mention of clear limits and exclusions with your usage...

Makes no sense at all.

Suggest you read the OP title

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Had my LG OLED since Black Friday and used it as I please and not seen any screen retention yet, let alone burn in. I do get screen retention on my Plasma that lasts a short while but never had burn in on that and I have had the plasma for well over 5 years. Therefore I know that unless I actually get very unlucky there really is nothing to worry about as OLED deals with burn in a lot better than Plasma and I never had any issues with that and I used that as a monitor as it was hooked up to my pc and we would browse and watch movies on it etc :)

It is a shame LG do not provide warranty for burn in, they should be able to offer at least 1 year against it by this point as their tech has advanced since the past few years.

Is it Panasonic that offer a thicker OLED TV’s which further helps towards burn in by cooling the display or something like that? They should do that as right now it is so thin that even if you doubled the thickness it would not be a big deal.

Caporegime
No offence then mate, but your input is rather moot then...

You don’t use your OLED as a monitor or display for work and you don’t game on it like a pc gamer would either....

Rather somewhat contradicting statements, carefree usage, but mention of clear limits and exclusions with your usage...

Makes no sense at all.

Suggest you read the OP title

Yup you're right about using it for work etc. but answer this (read the entire post thoroughly before you do though).......

Why would "I" use a 55" OLED for browsing the web, reddit, work stuff like word docs, visual studio, sql etc. when I have a proper dedicated setup for this, which suits these tasks far better? Also, I quite like working on my desktop computer when at the desk with the oled playing a tv show/film in the background or using my laptop when lounging with a film/tv show on. If I used my TV purely for all pc/desktop type of stuff where would I have a film/tv show playing in the background? On my crappy LCD monitor or laptop???? Or if I only had the 1 display connected i.e. my oled, I wouldn't be able to have anything playing in the background?

I game it on it just as much, if not more than most gamers here, not just for PC but also console usage, like I said earlier, I probably have close to, if not over 5k hours now since 2017 and I would say probably about 60/70% of that been from gaming and HDR gaming at this too so certain games where the HUD is fully opaque i.e. spiderman, days gone, assassins creed etc.

I am fully aware of what people mean by "PC monitor" but again, people seem to miss the point here of why are they limiting themselves to just 1 display for "everything" despite wanting the goodness of OLED for primarily gaming/media. Think bigger, isn't this why people like PC as they have choice for how they want their systems to work for their usage.....

So for my overall usage, the way my setup works for me is superb, it is a seamless experience for work and play where I get the full benefits of OLED for all my entertainment purposes (where the IQ really matters to me) and then my "desk" setup for the normal/boring type of usage.

I think people are just too hung up on having to have one display for everything and can't stand the thought of having more than 1 display connected to their PC.

Also, iirc aoaaron (the OP of this thread) has done a similar setup to mine now after experimenting with different displays, setups etc.

Had my LG OLED since Black Friday and used it as I please and not seen any screen retention yet, let alone burn in. I do get screen retention on my Plasma that lasts a short while but never had burn in on that and I have had the plasma for well over 5 years. Therefore I know that unless I actually get very unlucky there really is nothing to worry about as OLED deals with burn in a lot better than Plasma and I never had any issues with that and I used that as a monitor as it was hooked up to my pc and we would browse and watch movies on it etc :)

It is a shame LG do not provide warranty for burn in, they should be able to offer at least 1 year against it by this point as their tech has advanced since the past few years.

Is it Panasonic that offer a thicker OLED TV’s which further helps towards burn in by cooling the display or something like that? They should do that as right now it is so thin that even if you doubled the thickness it would not be a big deal.

I have seen this posted a few times before about heat possibly contributing towards burn in, some guy posted about the sunlight being a massive factor for his burn in on avsforums but not seen much else other than that.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup you're right about using it for work etc. but answer this (read the entire post thoroughly before you do though).......

Why would "I" use a 55" OLED for browsing the web, reddit, work stuff like word docs, visual studio, sql etc. when I have a proper dedicated setup for this, which suits these tasks far better? Also, I quite like working on my desktop computer when at the desk with the oled playing a tv show/film in the background or using my laptop when lounging with a film/tv show on. If I used my TV purely for all pc/desktop type of stuff where would I have a film/tv show playing in the background? On my crappy LCD monitor or laptop???? Or if I only had the 1 display connected i.e. my oled, I wouldn't be able to have anything playing in the background?

I game it on it just as much, if not more than most gamers here, not just for PC but also console usage, like I said earlier, I probably have close to, if not over 5k hours now since 2017 and I would say probably about 60/70% of that been from gaming and HDR gaming at this too so certain games where the HUD is fully opaque i.e. spiderman, days gone, assassins creed etc.

I am fully aware of what people mean by "PC monitor" but again, people seem to miss the point here of why are they limiting themselves to just 1 display for "everything" despite wanting the goodness of OLED for primarily gaming/media. Think bigger, isn't this why people like PC as they have choice for how they want their systems to work for their usage.....

So for my overall usage, the way my setup works for me is superb, it is a seamless experience for work and play where I get the full benefits of OLED for all my entertainment purposes (where the IQ really matters to me) and then my "desk" setup for the normal/boring type of usage.

I think people are just too hung up on having to have one display for everything and can't stand the thought of having more than 1 display connected to their PC.

Also, iirc aoaaron (the OP of this thread) has done a similar setup to mine now after experimenting with different displays, setups etc..

Ok, well you use it to an “extent”, but many others, myself included, want to be able to use it without limitations or worry or any other way, other than a regular monitor we have used up until now. And between your usage, and where I wanna feel comfortable, there is still a long way to go....

Right now, if I used an oled like I do my pc monitor (which I’ve used for 8 years) I’d have burn-in in a week no doubt, which is clearly a hinderance.

I would love nothing more than to enjoy a big oled screen with amazing IQ and response times and other features, I got offered an incredible deal recently, but turned it down, it simply does not meet my requirements.

Your usage, does not fulfil my requirements, or usage patterns/habits, and I’m not prepared to change them.

Soldato
Ok, well you use it to an “extent”, but many others, myself included, want to be able to use it without limitations or worry or any other way, other than a regular monitor we have used up until now. And between your usage, and where I wanna feel comfortable, there is still a long way to go....

Right now, if I used an oled like I do my pc monitor (which I’ve used for 8 years) I’d have burn-in in a week no doubt, which is clearly a hinderance.

I would love nothing more than to enjoy a big oled screen with amazing IQ and response times and other features, I got offered an incredible deal recently, but turned it down, it simply does not meet my requirements.

Your usage, does not fulfil my requirements, or usage patterns/habits, and I’m not prepared to change them.
Instead of going on and on its quite simple, don't buy one then :)

Burn-in in a week, aye OK :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom