• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does multiple monitors increase temps?

Soldato
Hey guys,

Just finished my new 3 display setup..running good..but..

My temps for the GPU has increased from low 30's to high 30's? Is it the 3 monitor setup (using all 3 display ports) causing the issue? Well, not really an issu ebut you know :p

NEEkkD5.jpg

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys!

Only thing im unsure about now is the boost clocks..?

They dont down clock, they now stay fixed as in the photo shows!

Is that an issue?

Cheers.

Soldato
It's not boosting the card to max or anything
And you already know 36c isn't much to worry about
Around 30c or so would be normal idle
Depending on ambient temp and cooling solution
6c rise appropriately doing 3x monitors
Doesn't seem too unreasonable

Gpuz will show gpu% usage
Or can even show it in task manager
Or task bar in later windows 10 builds

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
It's not boosting the card to max or anything
And you already know 36c isn't much to worry about
Around 30c or so would be normal idle
Depending on ambient temp and cooling solution
6c rise appropriately doing 3x monitors
Doesn't seem too unreasonable

Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up dude!

Permabanned
Yes. Although less than it used to. These days the increase in temperature is usually pretty small. However, the more mismatched the resolution and refresh rates of the monitors, the higher it is. Also, of course, just driving three times the overall resolution will increase the work the GPU has to do and so the temps.

Associate
Load of rubbish, i have a 3 monitor setup and my 1660 Super clocks down like a single monitor, same with my previous AMD cards too. The issue is sometimes caused by different refresh rates. Mine are all at 60Hz and its running fine idling around 29c-31c.

@rip-the-jacker.. do a clean install of the drivers in the custom install option while you have the 3 displays plugged in, this might fix it. I have a feeling you have the issue i had last week that only a clean install will fix.

Btw, what are your refresh rates on each monitor?

Soldato
OP
Load of rubbish, i have a 3 monitor setup and my 1660 Super clocks down like a single monitor, same with my previous AMD cards too. The issue is sometimes caused by different refresh rates. Mine are all at 60Hz and its running fine idling around 29c-31c.

@rip-the-jacker.. do a clean install of the drivers in the custom install option while you have the 3 displays plugged in, this might fix it. I have a feeling you have the issue i had last week that only a clean install will fix.

Btw, what are your refresh rates on each monitor?

Will give that a shot mate and see where im at.

my main is 1440p 144hz and the two small monitors are 1080p 75hz.

Soldato
OP
Just turned off both my side smaller monitors, and then checked AfterBurner..

My temps dropped 3-4 degrees, and the boost clock went back down to 200/300 ish. Soon as I turned back on the monitors, the boost went back up to the fixed speeds and the temps back up to mid 35's. :confused::confused:

Associate
Just turned off both my side smaller monitors, and then checked AfterBurner..

My temps dropped 3-4 degrees, and the boost clock went back down to 200/300 ish. Soon as I turned back on the monitors, the boost went back up to the fixed speeds and the temps back up to mid 35's. :confused::confused:

So did you clean install drivers too? Also have a play around with refresh rates, like see what happens when you set all to 75Hz if possible.

I just enabled DSR and changed my main display to 1440p75Hz with my 2 others at 1080p60Hz and clocks still drop for me.

Permabanned
Check your Core Idle clock, it should be 139mhz, I know in the past (many years and Gens ago) with dual screens (even Desktop extension mode to a TV) it would not drop down fully and to get round it people used a profile made via Nvidia Inspector and saved to desktop as a shortcut.

I was sure this was fixed after a long time of being asked for on the NV forums or even due to the newer cards.

Soldato
OP
So did you clean install drivers too? Also have a play around with refresh rates, like see what happens when you set all to 75Hz if possible.

I just enabled DSR and changed my main display to 1440p75Hz with my 2 others at 1080p60Hz and clocks still drop for me.

Gonna try that soon. Cheers.

Check your Core Idle clock, it should be 139mhz, I know in the past (many years and Gens ago) with dual screens (even Desktop extension mode to a TV) it would not drop down fully and to get round it people used a profile made via Nvidia Inspector and saved to desktop as a shortcut.

I was sure this was fixed after a long time of being asked for on the NV forums or even due to the newer cards.

How can I check the "core idle clock"? Where is it located?

Back
Top Bottom