• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are NVidia clearing the decks for a new high end card?

Man of Honour
I have just noticed that the RTX Titan has had a £150 price reduction and the Titan V is no longer listed on their UK site and out of stock on the US site.

The reason I find this interesting is the price or availability of the above cards is not effected by anything AMD has on the market at the moment.

Does this mean either there is a new high end NVidia card on the way or are the new AMD RX 5950XT, RX 5950 and RX 5800 XT cards seen as a serious threat?

Soldato
Maybe they realised a lot of people got stung before buying titans at huge prices
Only for a card to be released soon after a good bit cheaper that had most of the performance
Was it the 980ti or something?
Forget now

Soldato
Probably. The dies for those are so big, I don't think they are churning them out & unlikely they'll have more than what they already made. So it makes sense to clear them out before the new ones, as these don't sell well once they're no longer the best (because they don't get proper discounts either).

Soldato
People at the height of their career like CEO's and chief execs who are buying luxury extravagant items like an RTX Titan aren't going to care about saving £150 though surely? They likely tip waitresses more than that.

Soldato
Lol so you have to be a CEO to buy a Titan do you :p

Well no I could easily buy one but it's the justification.

Like for example, somebody on minimum wage could aford to spend £40 on a Parker pen. But it's not justifiable. You'd have to have a very good job before you could justify spending £40 on a biro.

It's the same with a graphics card. Then again, there's probably people who live with their parents and instead of saving for a mortgage, they'll happily spend their hard earned wages on a 2080ti instead.

Soldato

Like for example, somebody on minimum wage could aford to spend £40 on a Parker pen. But it's not justifiable. You'd have to have a very good job before you could justify spending £40 on a biro.

It's the same with a graphics card. Then again, there's probably people who live with their parents and instead of saving for a mortgage, they'll happily spend their hard earned wages on a 2080ti instead.

So, hang on, are you saying that, in your world, only people with 100k+ salaries, or live with their parents buy 2080ti's? And that something that costs 5 hours work is "unjustifiable"?

Soldato
So, hang on, are you saying that, in your world, only people with 100k+ salaries, or live with their parents buy 2080ti's?

Well no that's not what I'm saying. I know for a fact that people with less income than me have bought a 2080ti. I'm talking about justifiction.

I know someone who used to live way beyond his means and he bought luxury items like expensive games consoles etc. So he had to sell them after a few months to pay his water, gas, electric bills etc. Then he'd save up to buy another games console, only to sell it again to pay bills. That's the extreme end of unjustifiable. I still know the guy and he's got himself out of that hole now.
And that something that costs 5 hours work is "unjustifiable"?

It depends what your buying for those 5 hours work. My computer case cost 5 hours work and was a bargain. I dont know how anyone could justify 5 hours work for a biro though.

Last edited:
Soldato

I find your opinion odd.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Must admit in hindsight a founders edition 1080ti would have been a great buy considering the price hikes and poor generational step increment if you (later on) wanted the RTX flavour to be an improvement. For the past 2 years this would have been a good performer making the 2080Ti way overpriced at > £1k. Until something that can smash 4k for sensible prices is available the top tier is a joke.

Back
Top Bottom