Harry and Meghan to resign

Associate
I dont think paying back 2.4m will be a problem , he is reported to be worth 25-40m and she was a multi millionaire from her career. Even after stating that i'm sure Charles would cover it if he needed to

Caporegime
^^^^ Damn it looks like it is happening*, the papers were right to read into "Harry and Megan" being used by the Queen.

Wonder if they'll still use "Duke and Dutchess" through? Like Harry would then be "his grace" instead of "his royal highness".

Andrews daughters still use HRH without being working Royals, though they just take on individual work/employment privately, I guess this perhaps indicates that Harry and Megan might have their eyes on some larger commercial deals and so can't be seen to cash in on the old "HRH" status.

*Well not quite "stripped" of the titles but not using them.

Daily Fail was wrong. They retain their royal titles, they've just agreed not to use them. They'll continue to use Duke and Duchess.

Caporegime
Daily Fail was wrong. They retain their royal titles, they've just agreed not to use them. They'll continue to use Duke and Duchess.

I did put that at the bottom of my post - that they're not being stripped of them, interesting that they'll still use Duke and Duchess though... I guess he'll be "your grace" now.

Caporegime
Do you honestly think this is about money? I think its about having their speech controlled by the Palace and the way the press relentlessly attacks Meghan.

Eh? That sounds dubious - did the press suddenly stop reporting on Diana when she lost her HRH title and was no longer a royal??? Nope...

Why on earth would this stop the press from reporting on (or attacking) Megan? They're going to get plenty of coverage of whatever they're up to next.

As for whether it is about the moment - well lets wait and see, do you honestly think they'll be happy to carry on with Harry's inherited wealth (should be well into double digit millions now) and a mere few million a year allowance from Charles/Duchy of Cornwall?

I suspect you'll find they'll be looking to top that up significantly and bring in a fair few million on top, privately.

Soldato
lot's of press coverage for the upcoming court case.

[
famous name sakes ...
wasn't there a classic 60s film , bank robbing couple, in which his nickname for her was the duchess ? can't see it on imdb
was thinking the getaway or bonnie & clyde but seems not; on the other hand duke was in escape to new york isaac heyes
]

Man of Honour
Hopefully, having given everything up - titles, money, property etc - they can now just carry on with the life they've decided on in Canada without any further hassle from the UK. I do wonder what would happen however if in say 3-5 years, they should they divorce - would Harry be welcomed back as a Royal etc as I personally would be against that?

They haven't. They've given up public royal titles, that's all. He remains a prince, but will not use royal titles publically. They remain Duke and Duchess and unless those are absolutely empty titles they will have money and property from them. Harry can't be "welcomed back as a royal" because he remains one. He hasn't abdicated.

A compromise measure. A neat, civilised diplomatic measure. Which is unsurprising, given that the queen is an excellent diplomat. Hopefully the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will play along and not be overtly political in an intrusive way that clashes too much with the royal family.

If the Cottage already belonged to the family then it makes sense they only repay the money they had from the tax payer for doing it up. I don't see where they are going to magic to £2.4m from though. Charity work doesn't pay, so is Harry doing to have to some advertising, or after-dinner speaking (after-all that is where ex-pms make their money).

He has personal assets he inherited from his mother. She has personal assets she made from her successful acting career. They won't need magic to come up with £2.4M - they already have far more than that. Also, I doubt if the Duchy of Sussex is a completely empty title with no income of its own. Also, his father and grandmother are quite rich and could give them £2.4M without any problem.

Then there's new money to be made. She could work again - she's a proven actor and she now has an immensely high profile. How often would a film or TV company be able to get a bona fide English Duchess who is also a proven actor to work for them? Lots of money to be made there. They could both do the usual celebrity board member thing, for the publicity and the contacts.

Or they could probably not work at all - the income from his assets alone would be enough considering they won't have any housing costs.

Soldato
BBC News is using the headline "Harry and Meghan drop royal duties and HRH titles" which to me would indicate that they have dropped their HRH titles. Or perhaps I'm somehow reading it wrong?

Harry and Meghan drop royal duties and HRH titles - BBC News

Permabanned
Do they get to keep the website/twitter-handle ? seems false pretences now .. give it back to the guy, if he still wants it .

Did they steal the sussex royal handle and not pay the guy? I thought it was really bad PR when you abuse Royal position and Twitter steals you someone elses name so you can have it. They were beaten to the sussex royal name and should have paid as they are loaded.

Instead they and Twitter stole it from thier subject, Quite the King indeed. But this is Harry and not William and why i like William.

Soldato
Compare These 20 Headlines To See How Differently Royal Reporters Treated Kate Middleton And Meghan Markle
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal

What a lot of cherry picking codswallop.

Looking at Canadian headlines, they don't won't them there either.

Oh they're happy to have them, just not pay for their security.

apparently they have a 10million readership, about the same as mirror+sun, so if they all reflect what their readers believe, or now believe,
oine thirds of the population are anti Meghan,
this buzzfeeds site also sets itself up as an echo chamber to regurgiate that; and more of the population, from posts, then believe it must be a majority view .
.. it's pyramid marketting
eg. https://whatsnewinpublishing.com/how-people-in-the-uk-are-accessing-news-6-key-findings/

So just like the site above, then.

BBC News is using the headline "Harry and Meghan drop royal duties and HRH titles" which to me would indicate that they have dropped their HRH titles. Or perhaps I'm somehow reading it wrong?

Thats what they were saying just now on the news. Its unclear whether they're actually being stripped of them or just dropping them for public use, theres a world of difference between those two.

Repaying the 2.4m as well as well? Well thats good news. Now we just need to not pay the rest of their bills!

Soldato
Eh? That sounds dubious - did the press suddenly stop reporting on Diana when she lost her HRH title and was no longer a royal??? Nope...

Why on earth would this stop the press from reporting on (or attacking) Megan? They're going to get plenty of coverage of whatever they're up to next.

As for whether it is about the moment - well lets wait and see, do you honestly think they'll be happy to carry on with Harry's inherited wealth (should be well into double digit millions now) and a mere few million a year allowance from Charles/Duchy of Cornwall?

I suspect you'll find they'll be looking to top that up significantly and bring in a fair few million on top, privately.

They are moving to Canada, yes the British press will continue to harass them for a while but they'll get bored. Diana was a whole different level. They will be able to comment in any way they wish now, they will be able to work for any charity they wish now. They are both millionaires. I don't believe for one minute that this is about money.

Soldato
They haven't. They've given up public royal titles, that's all. He remains a prince, but will not use royal titles publically. They remain Duke and Duchess and unless those are absolutely empty titles they will have money and property from them. Harry can't be "welcomed back as a royal" because he remains one. He hasn't abdicated.

A compromise measure. A neat, civilised diplomatic measure. Which is unsurprising, given that the queen is an excellent diplomat. Hopefully the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will play along and not be overtly political in an intrusive way that clashes too much with the royal family.

Thanks for the update, not quite what I saw reported earlier but happy to get new info.

Caporegime
They are moving to Canada, yes the British press will continue to harass them for a while but they'll get bored. Diana was a whole different level. They will be able to comment in any way they wish now, they will be able to work for any charity they wish now. They are both millionaires. I don't believe for one minute that this is about money.

Why would they get bored? It's not like they're writing about them/photographing them for a hobby or covering them is going to be too much different (in fact they'll probably have easier access to them) - people are interested in them now and will still be interested in them. Do you think they're going to stay out of the public eye and lead a quiet life? Doubt it if they want to be "self sufficient"...

As for "They will be able to comment in any way they wish now" yes they will, and if they do so that will attract even more attention.

As for the money - like I said we can wait and see on that one - it seems unlikely - think about it, if they were just sticking to charity work then why did they need to drop the HRH titles? Andrews daughters aren't working royals and have no need to drop the HRH titles... though they only take individual paid employment, they don't seem to be into documentaries or acting gigs or whatever commercial sponsorship deals might be on the cards. Doing that sort of thing with HRH titles would be seen as cashing in... (obvs there is still an element of that regardless, Harry can't change who he fundamentally is).

On the other hand Zara doesn't have a title and has done rather well from sponsorship etc..

Caporegime

They haven't lost their titles, they've just agreed to stop using them. They're still entitled to do so.

Here are the key messages from Buckingham Palace:

Harry and Meghan will still be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex

The couple will no longer use the titles of "royal highness", but they are not being stripped of them

Harry will remain a prince and sixth in line to the British throne

They will not be funded by taxpayers' money and will pay for the Frogmore Cottage renovations themselves

They will no longer formally represent the Queen

(Source).

Soldato
All a lot of pointless noise and sums up why they want out, if they had any sense they would go and live a quiet life on their existing wealth and just enjoy family life I would if I was as rich as them! The press would soon forget about them and move on to harassing someone else in the ‘public interest’.

Soldato
It's absolutely not the same thing. If they were stipped of their titles, Harry would no longer be a prince. But he still is.

No it is not. To lose it means it has gone. Not to use it means it is still there but just not being used.

Some posters think they should be stripped of their titles. I simply meant that not using them amounts to the same thing in the long run. It's not like the Windsor family were ever going to disown Harry over this. He was always going to remain a prince.

Soldato
Seriously? You think either of them are going to be twiddling their fingers for things to do? He has the Invictus Games and they will both be doing lots of charity work but charities of their choice now not ones that are approved by the Palace and Gov. I expect her to take on lots of roles with charities working with young women. I'd imagine he'll do lots with mental health charities and veterans.

I think she'll do what shes always done and nothing more.

He will still do the Invictus Games, but I suspect there won't be as much demand for him as he won't be doing any royal duties, so he's not going to be as publically visible as he is today. Also being in Canada he'll probably get the anonymity he wants. Though this decision is going to give him a lot of time on his hands.

I think he's being manipulated with saviour syndrome.

Caporegime
Isn’t he doing a joint venture tv series with Oprah on mental health? I suspect he won’t be short of job offers and can as little or as much as he wants to.

I know he’s not going to get the £2.1m a year from the Sovereign Grant which they won’t get anymore but I always know his father gives him £4m a year as well. Anybody know if he is still going to get that?

Back
Top Bottom