*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Bought a US-16-150W cheap. Sold 1 of my US-8-150W, still have the 2nd. Was getting loads of dropouts, 2 AP AC Lite and the controller.

Various Facebook groups said it was the Gen 1 controller at fault. I moved to a hosted solution from a friend and still have the issue.

I grabbed the injectors supplied with the AP’s and put them between the switch and AP. Problem solved and confirmed a faulty switch.

I raised and RMA and been asked to send it to the Czech Republic. Anyone here RMA’s UniFi kit?

Soldato
Your first port of call should always be where you bought it from. They should handle any RMA for you, in the UK.

If you raise the RMA directly with Ubiquiti it used to have to go back to Utah, in the US. And that was a proper nightmare, with HMRC charging re-import duties on lit that had already been imported. Incredible.

So, compared to that, the Czech Republic sounds pretty good. At least there is no customs issues (yet).

Assuming you bought it in the UK, send it back to where you bought it from and let them sort it out.

Your first port of call should always be where you bought it from. They should handle any RMA for you, in the UK.

If you raise the RMA directly with Ubiquiti it used to have to go back to Utah, in the US. And that was a proper nightmare, with HMRC charging re-import duties on lit that had already been imported. Incredible.

So, compared to that, the Czech Republic sounds pretty good. At least there is no customs issues (yet).

Assuming you bought it in the UK, send it back to where you bought it from and let them sort it out.

Urgh what is with this place today. Different topic an oversight.

Did you not see I bought the switch cheap? That means it wasn’t a reseller. I bought it off Facebook local group thing £30. Guy didn’t know what he had. Credit to Ubiquiti for offering RMA. Shipping to them in europ is £15. Better than states side due to the issues like you say.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Urgh what is with this place today. Different topic an oversight.

Did you not see I bought the switch cheap? That means it wasn’t a reseller. I bought it off Facebook local group thing £30. Guy didn’t know what he had. Credit to Ubiquiti for offering RMA. Shipping to them in europ is £15. Better than states side due to the issues like you say.
Thought you had to provide proof of purchase to log an RMA? I did one recently and they said I had to send it back to the US! (Which I won’t be doing).

Caporegime
Will a G3 do a decent job of a small space that I want to cover (as its a place that parcels get left) and its sort of like this:
I6WC2XS.png
forgive the crudity but tried to draw that with a 3 year old jumping on my arms; grey lines are supposed to be field of vision. It's a long thin corridor by the side of the house (the brown lines are the house and fence, dont worry, straight in real life!) but the camera has to be mounted where I've drawn it (little black box) because thats where the ethernet cable comes out of the house. Will a normal G3 cover that sufficiently? Or due to the nature of the space would a flex be better? They're certainly cheaper and easier to orientate, but not sure how good they are, night vision being a consideration.

Soldato
The G3 has a 3.6mm fixed lens so about a 90 degree field of view. You don’t have any measurements in your diagram but my gut feel is you’ll be looking at lots of wall and bad night-time IR reflections. Also bear in mind that the G3 doesn’t have an IP rating because although it can be used outdoors it really means under the eaves of a building where it’s not expected to get especially wet.

Soldato
The G3 Pro offers a wider FOV but youll likely need an elevated position to capture what you want to.

This has the disadvantage of likely being above the optimal height for optimal capture of facial features.

You also have to consider the ultimate position of the camera when mounted as the base will sit proud of the wall a good 7-10cm further pushing your lens out and lowering your FOV close to the camera.

I jave a G3 Pro in the corner of the house above/near the front door monitoring a safe space for deliveries. I don't have about 75cm of space below the camera covered but otherwise capture what I want of the driveway area.

Soldato
Without measurements anything is going to be a guess. From the description (long/narrow) it sounds like a 6-8mm fixed focus lens in a portrait format would do the job, but a Ubiquiti don’t offer alternative fixed focus lenses so you’d need a G4 Pro with the zoom to get the dimensions correct. At which point it’s possibly worth looking at 2xG3 flex and a US-5-Flex externally mounted PoE splitter switch.

Soldato
I’m looking at the Unifi NanoHD for home use. I take it that this is just a WAP and that it needs to be connected to a router for DHCP, DNS, Net access, etc, etc

Associate
I have been hanging on to my CK Gen1 waiting for the UDM Pro, but now I need to check if the current firmware does what I need given the lack of config.gateway.json support.

I am working my way through various posts and the UDM limitations/bug list on their forums but does anyone know if:
  • Dual WAN in fail-over mode works?
  • Can I set a NAT masquerade rule to get modem access?

Soldato
I have been hanging on to my CK Gen1 waiting for the UDM Pro, but now I need to check if the current firmware does what I need given the lack of config.gateway.json support.

I am working my way through various posts and the UDM limitations/bug list on their forums but does anyone know if:
  • Dual WAN in fail-over mode works?
  • Can I set a NAT masquerade rule to get modem access?

What does your current setup NOT do that you want a UDM-Pro? I’ve had an Early Access unit for quite a while and it’s deeply unimpressive. Unless you’re running Protect, it does less than the outgoing USG-4P and it looks downright rubbish next to the QNAP QDG-1602P that’s just turned up. That’s a router, 2-bay NAS, 16-port 10/5/2.5GbE PoE switch and it runs QNAP’s NVR solution, Untangle and the UniFi controller simultaneously. That’s impressive.

Associate
What does your current setup NOT do that you want a UDM-Pro?

Mostly performance as I currently just have the USG-3P. Currently limited for VPN speed and have a growing load routing between VLANs and I would like to use QoS.

Given the USG-4P is old and over priced and I have the old CK Gen1 the UDM-Pro appears a cost effective upgrade for both (although I would prefer separate devices). I have no need of Unifi Protect as I already have a powerful CCTV server that's doing a lot of real time processing/recognition and Protect is woeful in comparison.

Perhaps it is indeed time to start looking elsewhere for certain parts as the fully 'Unifi'ed dream is getting to be too much work with delays on new kit and missing features in the firmware.

Soldato
The all Ubiquiti dream died a long time ago unless you have a slow connection. The camera side is sub-par, the routing hardware underpowered when you want to do anything more interesting than just basic routing and the latest opt-out of data being sent back to Ubiquiti is turning into a utter poop storm :(

Associate
I have FTTP from Gigaclear and I have a Ubiquiti Edge Router X arriving tomorrow. At the moment I have Ethernet from the ONT to a switch that then connects to my computer, a Ubiquiti AP, another switch downstairs with loads of things off that. It seems to work fine. Will the router add or detract anything to the mix?

Back
Top Bottom