What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Captain Marvel 6/10 a rewatch in build up to Endgame. A bit soulless, the story lacks punch. Nicely made the supporting cast aren’t bad but lead is not appealing. I imagine it will be a very long time before I watch it again. About 5he weakest of the MCU films for me.

Soldato
A Quiet Place

6/10

It definitely isn't bad, but definitely not great either. Kinda inconsistent at times regarding what can and can't be heard. Corn silo scene was utterly daft. But a solid cast that sold the story well.

Man of Honour
A Quiet Place

6/10

It definitely isn't bad, but definitely not great either. Kinda inconsistent at times regarding what can and can't be heard. Corn silo scene was utterly daft. But a solid cast that sold the story well.
Yes, the huge inconsistencies ruined that film for me. Plus, I saw Don’t Breathe shortly before... which has a similar premise but without any monsters / supernatural and is much better for it.

Soldato
I am Legend - I always loved this Will Smith post apocalyptic drama, I know there are a lot of people that don't but the dog is just epic and everything else works well enough in my opinion. 4/5

Soldato
I am Legend - I always loved this Will Smith post apocalyptic drama, I know there are a lot of people that don't but the dog is just epic and everything else works well enough in my opinion. 4/5

Seen the alternate ending? Would have been amazing if they'd treated the audience like they had any intelligence and gone with that one instead.

turns out he is the monster who hunts them in the day, steals them away and experiments on them, they're essentially fighting for survival. Ends with a sort of understanding and stalemate

Soldato
Seen the alternate ending? Would have been amazing if they'd treated the audience like they had any intelligence and gone with that one instead.

turns out he is the monster who hunts them in the day, steals them away and experiments on them, they're essentially fighting for survival. Ends with a sort of understanding and stalemate
Not seen it but read about it last night. That was the original ending but the studio execs felt they needed to cater for the lowest common denominator, i.e. themselves.

Soldato

That is actually far closer to the original book ending.
The main character is the bogeyman to the new society of vampires, he is the evil monster they scare their children with. They put him on trial and execute him.

Last edited:
Soldato
Days of Thunder. Yes it's a reskin of Top Gun (and many other Cruise vehicles of the same era), yes you can't unsee how they hide the height difference between Cruise and Kidman (they even make a joke about it), but by god does this film have heart and is a lot of fun. The leads and supporting actors are great (including Robert Duvall), and the soundtrack includes the brilliant "Show Me Heaven" by Maria McKee.

It's the sort of film we need more of. Good fun, good charismatic performances from all involved, engaging story and characters that lead the car races, instead of following the special effects as an afterthought. There's pretty much nothing here that breaks you out of the story as you wonder why the characters are doing dumb things, because the story, characters and motivations hang together pretty well, even though this was just a summer popcorn movie.

We could do with more films that take you on an exciting, fun, roller coaster before giving you a big happy hug at the end.

Soldato
Just back from seeing Uncut Gems at the local arthouse cinema - was a packed screening - been a long time since I felt a cinema was that busy. An absolute rollercoaster of a ride and Sandler puts in a great performance as the put upon Harold Ratner 9/10

Soldato
Terminator: Dark Fate - Garbage/10 for a "Terminator" film or 3/10 for a generic film - I'm a terminator fan, I have been since I scrimped and saved over all summer for the £4.50 needed to by the T2 novel as a teen, and despite that actually I'm a bigger fan of T1 than T2, so it was shame to see that franchise literally killed within the first 2 minutes (amazing face change/de-aging CGI however). I now get that this is not a real "Terminator" film but just an attempted franchise reboot for a new "Terminator 2.0" series, swapping everything people already know and love for something new and not seen before, so knowing that this film had so much riding on it I can't fathom the general lack of care this film is made with.

The acting (even from the originals) is generally poor, almost like they can't be bothered but it's a good paycheck, with the new "hero" characters especially having absolutely no charisma and seemingly no talent for acting even when given easy "show everyone your talent" scenes in the script. Just look back at the acting range of the cast in T1 as an example of how a battle scarred soldier from the future can console the person they have to save compared to the cockpit scene from this one. While I thought the choice to make the new "Rev-9" more "human" during interactions was a strong decision, and I though Gabriel did a better acting job than the "hero's", there was just no real visceral impact to seeing the Rev-9, unlike the original T800/T1000 models when they first appeared, I mean instead of seeing something new, we just had "oh look, its visually just a T800/T1000 hybrid, seen it before" with some absolutely awful CGI for his "liquid metal" transformations (the skeleton wasn't bad but the chrome T800 still looked more impressive) and some of the CGI during his fight scenes was "new guy using Adobe After Effects" levels of bad, nowhere near good enough for a blockbuster film.

However my biggest problem is just the lack of care shown to the existing franchise with this "Bugger it, Terminator fans will come and see this anyway so lets not bother putting much effort into the story, casting, script, CGI etc because we'll still make hundreds of millions off those 'right wing anti-strong female' man-child fanbois anyway, the mugs!" attitude shown through-out the making and release of the film. I mean even as a stand-alone movie (forgetting everything before it) it is just a badly made film, which doesn't seem to have been made by a director, producers and studio who had any love for the finished film but treated it and the fans as a simple cash grab, an all too common problem currently in Hollywood.

I'm especially annoyed that James Cameron had any part in that too as, despite having his name plastered all over the it during the production, he seemingly palmed off 95% of his duties so he could finish his Avatar series rather than overseeing what ended up being the destruction of his creation.

One positive note to end on though (it's all been a bit negative so far I know) - now the franchise I loved is dead I never have to see another one ever again, saving me some money!

Soldato
6 Underground. 4/10

Some good Parkour moments, some good action scenes and some amazing camera work.

But, what a stupid movie. Didn't really care what happened.

Maybe worth a watch if you have absolutely nothing better to do or you are huge Ryan Reynolds fan.

Soldato
Jungle with Daniel Radcliffe. Surprisingly good really enjoyed it and never heard of it until I spotted it on Amazon video.

I'm going to give it a 9 just because it's the first time a film has really surprised me in a while with something different

Soldato
Jungle with Daniel Radcliffe. Surprisingly good really enjoyed it and never heard of it until I spotted it on Amazon video.

I'm going to give it a 9 just because it's the first time a film has really surprised me in a while with something different
You should try Swiss army man or Horns. They're great. I actually admire Radcliffe for his choice of movies, people dislike him but he's taken on some strange titles and some have been gems in the rough.

Soldato
Joker, it's a great film but it's not the master piece it's made out to be nor the perfect 10/10

Abit too slow at the start for me but the second half of the film more than made up for it

Caporegime
Mad Max: Fury Road

I am not sure why I watched this. I remember quite a few people raving about it when it came out. I tried to watch it 2 years ago but got cut off 30mins in so really this felt like an itch I needed to scratch more than anything, and I checked the rating on IMDB which has it at 8.1 - usually anything above 7-7.5 is pretty decent and worthwhile.

But this thing? it left me with a feeling of just...why?

Plot was thinner than a pancake. Too many unanswered questions. Normally films build up and up then peak and then come back down, sometimes mutilple times in the movie. This felt like it tried to go straight to that peak and tried to maintain it near consistently all the way through with almost little to no downtime. This was the problem in my opinion. Its incredibly difficult to maintain that "rush" attained during a build up. It also went to it so quickly, there was no build up, no rush...so while it held my attention, it was holding it because I was waiting for the big thing to happen, which ultimately never really arrived.

The one time I did feel some adrenaline, was after the biggest lull in the movie when they're in the desert at night with the mothers and they're making the final run back to the citadel. But this just backs up the rest of my point for me. I know in terms of set pieces that the majority of it was real. Which is why it looked so incredibly realistic. Which I appreciated. But thats pretty much the only good thing I have to say about this flick.

This one wasn't for me :)

Back
Top Bottom