200k mile petrol Mondeo?

Soldato
Further to my recent £10k estate thread, I've spotted a 65 plate 2.0t Titanium automatic for less than £6k, it just happens to have 187,000 miles on the clock...

It's 1 owner with full service history, is there anything to be aware of with such a high mileage, bearing in mind it will only get about 5000 extras miles on in the next year, lol!

Soldato
Further to my recent £10k estate thread, I've spotted a 65 plate 2.0t Titanium automatic for less than £6k, it just happens to have 187,000 miles on the clock...

It's 1 owner with full service history, is there anything to be aware of with such a high mileage, bearing in mind it will only get about 5000 extras miles on in the next year, lol!

I would expect it to be just fine in the main.

What you "Might" find is that you "Might" have issues with wear and tear items that might normally be considered issues on rather older cars (EG Wheel bearings, Rotating components like alternators, wiper motors, ball joints and suspension and so on)

But I wouldn't be put off by a high mileage per see, especially if it really is one owner and a FSH from new with all fluid changes done as required. the price seems good and gives a load of wriggle room to cover the costs of any repairs if they are needed.

Soldato
OP
Check the gearbox has been serviced regularly.

I would expect it to be just fine in the main.

What you "Might" find is that you "Might" have issues with wear and tear items that might normally be considered issues on rather older cars (EG Wheel bearings, Rotating components like alternators, wiper motors, ball joints and suspension and so on)

But I wouldn't be put off by a high mileage per see, especially if it really is one owner and a FSH from new with all fluid changes done as required. the price seems good and gives a load of wriggle room to cover the costs of any repairs if they are needed.

Thanks, literally just found it and thought I'd see if there might be anything serious to look out for, I'll ring them tomorrow to find out about service specifics.

Soldato
Got a brace of mk5 mondeos both on north of 1/4 million miles now

They wear the miles well as long as their services regularly the mk5s aren’t quite as hard wearing as the mk4s just watch for lots of little bits of broken trim as that seems to be the only issue in the main we’ve found. And check the gearbox has been serviced correctly otherwise avoid like the plague

Soldato
OP
Got a brace of mk5 mondeos both on north of 1/4 million miles now

They wear the miles well as long as their services regularly the mk5s aren’t quite as hard wearing as the mk4s just watch for lots of little bits of broken trim as that seems to be the only issue in the main we’ve found. And check the gearbox has been serviced correctly otherwise avoid like the plague

Thank you very much, I'll be checking the service history with a fine tooth comb if I end up going to look at it. :)

Soldato
The Mk5 2.0T petrol uses a 6 speed torque converter automatic transmission. Contrary to many adverts, it was never fitted with the PowerShift DCT box.

I'm not sure what the maintenance requirement is on these, but I would imagine it would less frequent than a PowerShift.

Soldato
My good old 2.5t just passed 230k 150k of those running over 300bhp. As long as it's been looked after it should be fine, make sure to check if its had cambelt/clutch (inc DMF) etc that these miles.

Associate
The Mk5 2.0T petrol uses a 6 speed torque converter automatic transmission. Contrary to many adverts, it was never fitted with the PowerShift DCT box.

I'm not sure what the maintenance requirement is on these, but I would imagine it would less frequent than a PowerShift.

Yup, I own a 66 plate version of this on a much lower 30,000 miles or so. It means I can't comment on the high milage aspect of it but one think I can warn is the low MPG they return. Even on a run to scotland I only managed around 32MPG driving at a sensible 70ish on cruise (the boot was fully loaded and a couple of passengers though). With that in mind I dread to think how much the prior owner spent on petrol doing 187,000 miles with that engine / gearbox combo!

Back
Top Bottom