New car buying help - possibly seat leon fr 2.0 diesel?

Soldato
Thanks, yeah just seen photos and spotted the rear seat marks myself....

I quite like adaptive cruise but looks like few models have it.

Looks a great example that does! Apart from the seat I noticed also that looks a good car for the pennies.
Don't let the mileage sway you on that, mine only had 3k more when I bought it. It could be the person rarely used it as opposed doing loads of small journeys for all you know and as you say, warranty will give peace of mind.

Adaptive cruise is a option on Excellence, not standard.
Paddles are not standard in Excellence either.

I have to say I love adaptive. We don't have it in the Excellence but I have it in the FR and I struggle to be without it now.... that's probbaly more so because most our roads are single carriage NSL. We have no motorways up here. So there is a lot of utter muppets on the road that cannot sit at 60mph and are down at 45 before randomly doing stints at 65 etc. It gets bloody annoying but with adaptive cruise I can just sit there and live an easier life as I am trapped behind them.

Soldato
OP
Looks a great example that does! Apart from the seat I noticed also that looks a good car for the pennies.
Thanks for help

Ive put a (refundable) Deposit on the above with extra warranties at family discount. Going to see tomorro

Not too bothered on paddle shift, unfortunate it doesnt have adaptive cruise but ive lived without any cruise thus far just fine!

Edit: bought the car

Last edited:
Associate
I've seen a delightful 2012 BMW 3 Series 2.0 318d Touring. High Mileage though at 147k. Private sale at £2900 for what was a £30k car.

We've just let our ultra reliable 2008 Mondeo go - family runabout that was written off after the local bin lorry side swiped it on the street so I need to get it right. insurance firm paid market value so I'm royally knackered less the excess.

The BMW has had 2 owners, manual, documented FSH, claimed 80% motorway mileage and is up for £2900. Checked the MOTS and nothing but advisories on each test. It seems too good to be true, but I'd value peoples opinions on what I need to look out for when I take it out for a test drive on Sunday.

I've heard horror stories regarding timing chains and the engines eating themselves, but I only need the car for 10 miles a day and to last me 2/3 years.

I'm afraid our budget is firmly set at £3000 as I've had too many kids and my other cars a Range Rover.

Many thanks,
Richard

Soldato
OP
@Richard H Seems low cost outlay but high risk/potential maintenance cost! I dont know enough about the cars tho.

@xdcx do you know how to change driver profile /change to eco mode on the new 2017 touch screen? I know i can flick to sport via the DSG gearbox but dont know if there's seperate methods to change to eco etc.

Pictures of car:

oAowLoi.jpg

M3bBOfc.jpg

(yes i did clean the mess just gives an indication of colour :D:eek:)

Xmq7quY.jpg

tRz1HzL.jpg [/QUOTE]

Associate
From what I am aware you can only change it from the "mode" button on the dashboard and dont think it came on the Excellence trim, on the 2019 range it's only on the FR and Cupra

Soldato
Seem fairly decent? Theyve sent a video and ive seperately asked for hi res photos
Only thing that puts me off is low mileage for a diesel (so potential diesel particulate filter issues) but mechanical warranty may offset that.

after you expressed the concern, is there any concession in warranty for potential particulate filter issues, or are these really off the radar for any manufacturer ?
there does seem an arbitrary aspect to categorisation of parts, ... epitomized by ev battery warranties - where customer may not buy one if not warrantied

Soldato
@The Craig
Looks lovely pal and hope you are enjoying it :)

Excellence doesn't have the button to select between the modes. FR and Cupra only.
I think the Excellence essentially runs in the eco mode unless you flick the auto gear lever into the S mode for sport.

I am basing this on the fact that our Excellence in non S mode feels like what my FR does when I put it into Eco mode.
I leave the FR in standard all the time to be honest and it does feel sharper in standard than the Excellence does in non S.
I'm honestly not sure if putting the Excellence into S changes the steering feel or just increases the engine/throttle response.... In the FR you can toggle the steering and the throttle so both these absolutely do change but I have a feeling the Excellence simply changes the throttle response only.

Soldato
OP
Yes enjoying the car thanks!

Hey @kinetic747 @xdcx do you find that your window wipers are squeeky?

I bought new ones (bosch aeroblade) when i got it and didnt make it any better. My mate says he has the same issue with this car.
Any wipers that fix the issue?

Soldato

I bought new ones (bosch aeroblade) when i got it and didnt make it any better. My mate says he has the same issue with this car.

I'm still on the original wipers but I keep the glass clean and have no issues. I'd try a deep clean of the glass using one of the guides out there.:)

Soldato

Excellence is on 32k miles with original wipers and never had an issue.
FR on 17k miles with originals and as above.
So can't advise further I am afraid as all good here! Advice from Kinetic sounds like a better start than splashing cash straight away :)

Back
Top Bottom