My thermal flask test thread.

Soldato
24 hrs in,

1. thermos ultimate - 65 c
2.stanley classic legend - 63c
3. sigg hot and cold -60 c
4. klean kanteen tk pro - 56c

That's great Dan but these aren't real life results. Who would use a flask at home in 18c when there's access to hot water anyway?

How about conducting the tests again but storing the flasks outside, maybe each one in some sort of bag to replicate outdoors people out and about with a rucksack?

Associate
And maybe add a dash of milk to each as most folks do. I've been following this thread all weekend now I'm thinking I could do with a flask to take fishing with me. Good dedication staying up late and getting up early in the name of this tests:D

Associate
OP
And maybe add a dash of milk to each as most folks do. I've been following this thread all weekend now I'm thinking I could do with a flask to take fishing with me. Good dedication staying up late and getting up early in the name of this tests:D

No problem, was a bit worried i would not be awake to take the 18 hour test results.

I think my thermometer is a bit meh, i need a professional one so will be looking at google results for one,

Dan.

Soldato
Associate
OP
@lltfdaniel are you looking for any more suggestions and is it just large flasks you're wanting to test or also travel mugs?

This is my suggestion from when i was researching the purchase of a travel mug but obviously I'm not sure how one of these would compare to others, other than they seem to get favourable reviews.

Contigo West Loop Autoseal Travel Mug
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contigo-Au...39318560702&ref_=sb_s_sparkle_slot&th=1&psc=1

Yea i am up for doing more tests and yes any suggestions for testing is welcome.

I am currently looking at 'professional thermometers' or any suggestion from you folks because i need a proper one i think.

I feel that cheap thermometer i used didn't do full justice, not to worry because i can test these again using a proper thermometer and test it outside in a bag as @bainbridge said,

Also a dash of milk test after that, i am roughly thinking 125ml of milk.

Soldato
Yea i am up for doing more tests and yes any suggestions for testing is welcome.

I am currently looking at 'professional thermometers' or any suggestion from you folks because i need a proper one i think.

I feel that cheap thermometer i used didn't do full justice, not to worry because i can test these again using a proper thermometer and test it outside in a bag as @bainbridge said,

Also a dash of milk test after that, i am roughly thinking 125ml of milk.

Also does pre warming make any difference?

Associate
OP
So have we reached a conclusion? What am I best buying to store two cups of coffee and a choc ice?

To the best of my knowledge a 500ml flask will suffice for 2 cups of coffee me thinks so 250ml in each cup, should be enough, also do you intend to add milk with the coffee in the flask?

Do you want the flask to have a cup or not or will you use a separate cup?

I don't know what would be the best but if you want a good start in the world of thermal flasks the thermos ultimate 500ml flask definitely will be a good start so i would point you towards that.

My 2 pence,

Dan.

Soldato
That's great Dan but these aren't real life results. Who would use a flask at home in 18c when there's access to hot water anyway?

How about conducting the tests again but storing the flasks outside, maybe each one in some sort of bag to replicate outdoors people out and about with a rucksack?

I personally think you're introducing too many variables. I also personally don't think you need a 'real world test', you just need a test of which is best at keeping something warm. I would think it is unlikely that whatever is best at insulating in lab conditions, then does worse in real life conditions.

With the more variables, you can't then keep testing new flasks. Today is very cold, put it outside for 24 hours will have a very different result to a different flask tested in March, April or May perhaps (or even just next week if it warms up a little)

Results thus far are updated in THIS GOOGLE SHEET.

Soldato
do any of the metal ones actually have a vacuum .... ? I've never looked on utube to see if some one band-sawed one in half
titanium, obviously, might be stronger to support a vacuum..

Never actually sawed one in half myself but I've found no discernable difference between a glass flask and a stainless in terms of keeping their contents hot, and I believe its down to the thickness of the metal as to whether it distorts due to atmospheric pressure on the vacuum... again none discernable.

n.b. personally I've never bothered to check whether any of them are still hot after 24hrs because a) I've never been away from a source of hot water for that length of time and b) who would want to drink tea thats been stewing for 24hrs anyhow...

Soldato
been giving mine another run out to crantock today ,dont see the point in paying good money to cafes

IMG-20200119-151643-1.jpg

Associate
OP
In my quest for a thermal flask to give the best heat retention,

I have decided to buy one of these > https://www.outdoorwales.net/stanley-master-vacuum-bottle-14qt13l.ir

Why well because it uses quadvac.

From https://www.stanley-pmi.com/blogs/t...rand-introduces-master-series-for-spring-2017

QuadVac™ adds a double layer barrier to the double wall vacuum insulation, locking in heat or cold better than any other technology currently available. The four layers offer protection from convective, conductive and radiant energy transfer creating the highest thermal retention rates. To create the most durable bottle, Stanley Master Series uses 1.0mm thick stainless steel, compared to the industry standard 0.6mm, making Stanley’s construction 50 to 100 percent thicker than others on the market.

It is rather expensive but i have confidence this will be the best flask in my inventory, until i find out by testing it.

Dan.

Soldato
You know when you discover the best flask you're going to need to solve the science to the liquid not tasting stewed after so long in there. :D

I wonder if this would make any difference...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laken-Ther...F78BASDDTNT&psc=1&refRID=E735C48DRF78BASDDTNT

Its even ethernet enabled apparantly. What more could you ask for

“Description
Thanks to its layer of foam Ethernet-enabled between two layers of polyester”

also @op. You really need to look no further than this

0raIiEl.jpg
https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/furniture...VB7LtCh26xALzEAQYAiABEgJrvvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Soldato
I have one of these, keeps my milk cold at work fine enough over a 12 hour day.

Also filled it with a freshly boiled kettle at 8pm and it was still steaming when I took the lid off at 5am.

HYDRATE Super Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle - BPA Free, Vacuum Flask - 24 Hours Cold & 12 Hours Hot (500ML, Carbon Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MXLU30C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9JnjEbKRQN3JK

Those are crying out for a redesigned lid that you can sip out of without taking the thing off. As it is it looks as though if you were drinking out of it in the copious amounts of space you get these days on public transport in rush hour, you'd loose most of your front teeth from some ***** jogging you.

Soldato
To create the most durable bottle, Stanley Master Series uses 1.0mm thick stainless steel, compared to the industry standard 0.6mm, making Stanley’s construction 50 to 100 percent thicker than others on the market.

... so why does thickness help ... or that's the drop test ? without their explanation as to why that improves heat retention it isn't a compelling marketting message, better quality vacuum ?

who would want to drink tea thats been stewing for 24hrs anyhow...
solve the science to the liquid not tasting stewed after so long in there
you don't leave the tea-leafs in the flask ... but there again I usually carry coffee ( more motivational hit) , either, brewed in a tea-pot or filter machine;
definitely not sugar, in either, too cloying.

Back
Top Bottom