Hive dual channel on a combi boiler

Soldato
The dual receiver doesn't do low voltage switching so be careful what you connect it to in your boiler as it could damage it.

Looking at your boiler manual you'd run a cable from pin 4 on the hive to the mains thermostat terminal block on the boiler and from there back to pin 2. Make sure you remove the bridge wire on the low voltage terminal block also.

Associate
Hi There
Thanks for that
So as you say 4 to the mains block.and back to pin 2.
Will the polarity be an issue ? Ie I’ll need to make sure 4 is connected to the load side of the terminal block and 2 to the supply.

Soldato
I'm not sure polarity would be an issue as it's AC, the boiler just detects when a 230v signal is being sent from the hive and turns on the heating accordingly.

Associate
Hi I’ve wired it all up and nothing happens.
The terminal goes from 0v to 230v on my tester but the actual boiler doesn’t fire ?

Associate
I’ve now put it all back to original and it fires fine.
Running great with cleaner in at the mo. But no working clock.
So back to drawing board.
Will start at step 1
Remove link on lv stat outside box.
Separate wires on 230v stat
Previous method was wire both sides of 230v stat to give 2&4
Also tried just connecting 4 to terminal block.
This time may bridge L-2 on hive the connect 4 to terminal block. Leaving other side unconnected?

Associate
Sorted.
Wired up exactly as last time and this time it worked
So for anyone wiring in a heat line with 240v thermostat block
It’s no4 to the mains terminal block leave other side unconnected.
But the lv stat link on the outside of the control box needs to stay in.
Won’t work otherwise.
Don’t understand it but it works ?!
If you are not convinced try with the link out first but I’ve been testing it nownoff and on for ten mins and only works with link in...

Associate
Sorry for the hijack. I'm in a similar situation. I have a Vaillant ecoTEC pro28 combi, and am currently using a Siemens rcr10/433 unit with it.

Looking at the Vaillant manual, the PCB looks like it has a 24v and a 230v section. Would I be able to use a dual channel Hive with this?

Thanks.

CLjYkkC

Associate
Yes, although the HW function would be superfluous.

From the manual:

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/download...tec-pro-24-28-installation-manual-1414773.pdf

Conditions: Connecting 230 volt controller ▶ Connect the switched live supply with the terminal marked RT at X1 (beside the LNPE connections) then remove the link at X100 (do NOT connect 230 volt to any other terminal than the RT connection).

So on the dual channel receiver, terminal 4 is CH ON, which would go to the 230V RT connection on the boiler at X1.

Associate
Would someone be able to put it in more simpler terms for me as I have the same issue but am not that well versed in boiler wiring.
I have a Ariston microgenius he 24 mffi and the dual channel hive.

From reading about I understand I need to connect to pin 4 for CH but what am I connecting to in the boiler???

Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks!

Associate
Ok, so there has been some very usefull information on this page which has led me to investigate how to get a dual channel hive working as a single channel system.

As mentioned previously, the reason why it's not a straightforward swap of wires is that a single channel receiver works as a switch between two contacts,
But the dual channel receiver works as a 240v supply from the contacts, not as a switch.

However, thankfully HIVE like to save money and the internals are almost exactly the same for both !
Just that there is two wires connected either in single mode or dual mode.
And best of all it seems only 1 single wire needs to be moved.

** DO NOT ATTEMPT THE FOLLOWING.
THIS WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY, AND IS MESSING WITH VOLTAGES.
IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU PURCHASE THE CORRECT RECEIVER TO USE **

that said, im just going to document what i did.

The instructions

Back
Top Bottom