BMW and M Power Owners

NVP

NVP

Soldato
The mileage is displayed directly in front of you the entire time you use the car. How can you not know what it is?
There are a lot more important things for me to remember in life haha, plus I haven't driven it daily since end of October. I'm a train yuppy now...

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I cant see how you cant remember the mileage of it :)p) but i am actually in the same boat that you were. My commuting diesel (although Mercedes) is just about ticking over 150k now. Touching wood it is fine but you really must expect cars of this mileage to fail sometimes if used heavily.

I drive mine with a lot of sympathy too, which i think contributes to its continued near 100% reliability. (Never boost until very warm, never boost without a lot of cool down time afterwards, never really subject it to anything other than smooth acceleration).

If there were no reliability issues with 150k mile cars, then there wouldnt be such a rush for everybody who seems to constantly buy new cars with a fear of old ones :)

Soldato

NVP

NVP

Soldato
If there were no reliability issues with 150k mile cars, then there wouldnt be such a rush for everybody who seems to constantly buy new cars with a fear of old ones :)
True, although I'd never have expected this many issues.

I'm putting the blame on diesels being unable to cope with my driving style, as it was no where near a dog when I bought it... and I look after my cars whatever the cost so it's been maintained well altjoigh an absolute money pit. Lame :(

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Have all your issues been the engine then? I thought the first massive bill was the adaptive suspension?
All others, yep. The suspension was expensive but has been perfect since. The gremlins under the hood appear to have never fully disappeared.

Associate
I've seen a very competitive price for a new 530D touring but cannot get a decent insurance quote. I've only tried the comparison sites so far but the policy costs coming in at over £1k are really worrying. Is this normal for this type of car? I know it's an expensive car. I have no accidents, points or claims and 12 years NCB. Any ideas or suggestions of companies to try?

Soldato
I've seen a very competitive price for a new 530D touring but cannot get a decent insurance quote. I've only tried the comparison sites so far but the policy costs coming in at over £1k are really worrying. Is this normal for this type of car? I know it's an expensive car. I have no accidents, points or claims and 12 years NCB. Any ideas or suggestions of companies to try?

1. Are you of a different ethnicity, so not of a white background?
2. Do you live in Bradford, Blackburn, Luton, Birmingham, Manchester, Burnley, or a post code which has a high crime rate?
3. Are you below 30 years of age?

Soldato
Soldato
They ask where you are born... which always annoyed me as I paid more than someone born in the UK yet I have British nationality (they can't ask this) and passed license in UK (they also can't ask this). Was costing me ~50 extra.
Same with my dad... He has been in the UK about 52 of 56 years but costs extra on the insurance

Man of Honour
Try BMW Insurance. They were much cheaper than the comparison sites for me.

Man of Honour

Yeah that's odd, like Fox, my insurance with the 530d was around 450. Although, weirdly enough, my C43 has been much, much cheaper than the 530 for the two renewals I've done since having it but still, £1k seems far too high

Associate
1. Are you of a different ethnicity, so not of a white background?
2. Do you live in Bradford, Blackburn, Luton, Birmingham, Manchester, Burnley, or a post code which has a high crime rate?
3. Are you below 30 years of age?

1. No
2. I'm in Northamptonshire
3. No, I'm 34

Try BMW Insurance. They were much cheaper than the comparison sites for me.

Just tried, still over £900!

Yeah that's odd, like Fox, my insurance with the 530d was around 450. Although, weirdly enough, my C43 has been much, much cheaper than the 530 for the two renewals I've done since having it but still, £1k seems far too high

I had the same problem when looking at an M140i. I don't get it - cars with similar performance from other marques come in around £3-400ish, generally. I do under 8000 miles a year. As mentioned - lots of NCB, no claims, no accidents, no points, etc.

Soldato
If you have a look on google, theres a list saying how high risk your post code is, IIRC it uses the first half of you postcode. I think mine was quite low risk (£520 for an E92 M3 and i'm 33). It might even be that lots of BMW get trashed in your area and that makes them all more expensive (TBH i think insurance prices can be a bit of a lucky dip sometime).

Caporegime
If you have a look on google, theres a list saying how high risk your post code is, IIRC it uses the first half of you postcode. I think mine was quite low risk (£520 for an E92 M3 and i'm 33). It might even be that lots of BMW get trashed in your area and that makes them all more expensive (TBH i think insurance prices can be a bit of a lucky dip sometime).
http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car-insurance-explained/car-insurance-postcode-risk-list.html

Back
Top Bottom