Spiced Rum Recommendation

Soldato
I forgot to update this thread due to work stuffs, but I managed to pick up some Koko Kanu and Dead Mans Fingers Spiced for £15 and £13 off Amazon.

A5Vzrhb.jpg

Ever since downing half a bottle of Malibu by accident as a 8yr old during a party at home I've been fascinated by coconut based rum. I've heard about Koko Kanu and yes I know it's not relevant to this thread but hot damn - it packs one hell of a coconutty punch, even though it is overly sweet. It really is delicious!

I tried a sip of Deadmans Fingers and whilst I could taste notes of Orange and Cinnamon, I fear I hadn't tried enough to form a good opinion on it. Perhaps during Christmas day I'll properly try it.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Really surprised you could taste anything other than a chemically vanilla flavour with Dead mans, had a bottle and deffo wasn't impressed with it tbh

Kanu sounds like something I'd like, mix with banana liquer and pineapple juice omnom

Associate
Really surprised you could taste anything other than a chemically vanilla flavour with Dead mans, had a bottle and deffo wasn't impressed with it tbh

Kanu sounds like something I'd like, mix with banana liquer and pineapple juice omnom

Had a bottle of the 'Hemp' Dead Man's at my pub over Christmas. Absolutely disgusting. Do not try even out of curiosity- unless it's free, and then don't say I didn't warn you...

Soldato

Tried Dead Mans properly over the festive period. It really didn't do much for me, and I'd been spoilt by Koko Kanu. Then I unwrapped a bottle of Chairmans Reserve Spiced from my father as a Christmas gift so Dead Mans got shoved aside. It almost reminded me of Red Leg, which has a odd chemical aftertaste and too much vanilla for my liking.

Caporegime
Any spiced rums that are not sweet and not a revolting fake vanilla taste? I'm thinking a good mix of ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamon etc.

Soldato
Any spiced rums that are not sweet and not a revolting fake vanilla taste? I'm thinking a good mix of ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamon etc.
Dead mans above has cinnamon notes but it is somewhat lost amongst everything else. It really is a poor rum and I’m wondering what the 5 star reviewers have been tasting.

I agree about most rums having an overly strong vanilla taste. Red leg is one of them too.

Soldato

We tried a bottle of Deadmans and yes, wasn't impressed.

I haven't found anything better than Kraken, but open to recommendations.

Caporegime
Dead mans above has cinnamon notes but it is somewhat lost amongst everything else. It really is a poor rum and I’m wondering what the 5 star reviewers have been tasting.

I agree about most rums having an overly strong vanilla taste. Red leg is one of them too.

What is worse is it is a fake vanilla ester and not real, so it is cloyingly chemical.

Rumbullion is pretty good spiced, diplomatico reserva is a pretty amazing golden rum, so is Ron Zacapa 23

Thanks I'll keep my eyes open.

We tried a bottle of Deadmans and yes, wasn't impressed.

I haven't found anything better than Kraken, but open to recommendations.

Kraken is OK but I wont buy it again, too sweet and too much fake vanilla. Saw a liter bottle half price at the airport but thought better of it.

I also wonder if it is possible to make you own. Get a good dark rum, and infuse it with some sticks of cinnamon, a few clothes and tea spoon of moscavdo sugar.
Edit: yes, looks like it very easy so will try that.

Soldato
Sainsburys, ASDA, M&S, neither of them have Koko Kanu :(

Is Malibu white rum with coconut a worthy substitute?

I saw Gingerbread Captain Morgan on sale at ASDA for £10 I might give that a go. I've had Kraken Black Spice rum at pubs, I didn't catch any vanilla flavours but I really enjoyed it and want to try it with Dr. Pepper so I may buy a bottle of that for home.

Soldato
Sainsburys, ASDA, M&S, neither of them have Koko Kanu :(

Is Malibu white rum with coconut a worthy substitute?

I saw Gingerbread Captain Morgan on sale at ASDA for £10 I might give that a go. I've had Kraken Black Spice rum at pubs, I didn't catch any vanilla flavours but I really enjoyed it and want to try it with Dr. Pepper so I may buy a bottle of that for home.

Everything about this post is wrong.

Soldato
Everything about this post is wrong.

I've taken your valuable and well explained explanation on board.. and decided to do nothing with it :(

Went into Waitrose today and they didn't have Koko Kanu either, however I ordered a bottle from Amazon last night and it was delivered today so I have some now, and Kraken black spice. So it's a trip to Sainsbury tomorrow for Dr. Pepper and Pineapple juice :) just need the weekend to come so I open them :D

Soldato
Not a spiced rum but I just love it with Coke. Havana Club 7. I have a very sweet tooth and mostly drink spiced rums + coke on a night out but Havana club 7 is up there with my favorite rums. The rest have been mentioned here. Such a shame they killed off the good Sailor Jerry with that awful new recipe.

Soldato
Opened the Koko Kanu tonight and it's very very nice just drinking it neat, I've also tried it with pineapple juice. I think I prefer it neat but using a mixer I can drink more of it quicker.

Back
Top Bottom