• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i9-9900k upgrade from i7-8700k - Help needed

Soldato
I've finally (after banging on about it for years) clicked the buy button on a tonne of new WC'ing gear, getting back into it.

Now, I future proofed my self in a way by getting a Z390-E motherboard which currently has a 8700k which I delid and put liquid metal on. It runs very cool at 4.8Ghz, however, with the additional cooling that will be available (2x EK 360 PE radiators) I'm tempted to go to 9900k, however knowing this is soldered on, how much more additional heat will be put into the system for what benefit?

Is it really worth it? Machine is used for gaming, editing GoPro footage and music creation.

Thanks!

Soldato
You will spend a lot and gain very little for it in many workloads, same with the water cooling. As long as you understand that and are OK with it, then it’s up to you, but you are unlikely to be sat afterwards thinking this was a great upgrade. Also as someone who has been in a similar situation, while the initial idea is ‘I’ll buy xyz and get back into...’ doesn’t work unless the underlying issue that limits your usage changes, but YMMV.

Associate
I've finally (after banging on about it for years) clicked the buy button on a tonne of new WC'ing gear, getting back into it.

Now, I future proofed my self in a way by getting a Z390-E motherboard which currently has a 8700k which I delid and put liquid metal on. It runs very cool at 4.8Ghz, however, with the additional cooling that will be available (2x EK 360 PE radiators) I'm tempted to go to 9900k, however knowing this is soldered on, how much more additional heat will be put into the system for what benefit?

Is it really worth it? Machine is used for gaming, editing GoPro footage and music creation.

Thanks!
Can you not push the 8700K further?
I did my mates one and his is stable @5.1Ghz.

Associate
Buying a new CPU, when the next generation is so close seems like flogging a dead horse.
The gains can't justify the outlay.
Better off upgrading the whole system while you can, at the moment, recover quite a chunk from your investment, or simply don't bother for now, and wait few weeks after the next gen out, plenty of bargains available as many will simply go mad to upgrade, not always because they need, but simply because they want the extra performance.

Soldato
You will spend a lot and gain very little for it in many workloads, same with the water cooling. As long as you understand that and are OK with it, then it’s up to you, but you are unlikely to be sat afterwards thinking this was a great upgrade. Also as someone who has been in a similar situation, while the initial idea is ‘I’ll buy xyz and get back into...’ doesn’t work unless the underlying issue that limits your usage changes, but YMMV.

I made that mistake when I upgraded from my [email protected] to i5 [email protected]. I upgraded too soon as I didnt notice much difference at all.

The general view on upgrading an 8700(non K) to a 9900K is not to bother and there will be a more meaningful upgrade available by the time that games are utilising more than six cores effectively.

I think it will take a year or two before games use more than six cores, as Im guessing games that use six cores dont properly use all cores yet?

Back
Top Bottom