LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
"MicroLED is poised to overtake OLED as the ultimate display technology" ….. By Don Reisinger April 01, 2018
still poised then, lol.

Yes. MicroLED is X years away from being affordable, where we know for sure X is > 3. In reality it's probably a decade away or never (after all, no one says success is guaranteed for bringing down costs low enough; OLED itself has severe production constraints, that's why you see WOLED in TVs but AMOLED/POLED in Phones but not vice-versa, and none for monitors at an affordable price). There are always trade offs, always. Unless you're rich, in which case you can phone up Samsung and have this at home:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Soldato
OP
Yes. MicroLED is X years away from being affordable, where we know for sure X is > 3. In reality it's probably a decade away or never (after all, no one says success is guaranteed for bringing down costs low enough; OLED itself has severe production constraints, that's why you see WOLED in TVs but AMOLED/POLED in Phones but not vice-versa, and none for monitors at an affordable price). There are always trade offs, always. Unless you're rich, in which case you can phone up Samsung and have this at home:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Clearly you need to be a multi millionaire to get a MicroLED TV in 2020.

Poor dude has no taste though - the rest of the room looks absolutely awful

Soldato
By the time micro LED hits consumer homes, you will likely be able to buy the same sized OLED panel, let it burn in, and then buy another one a couple of years later.. and have change to spare.

My personally detest people who write off the best-in-class current technology to idolise the next level of tech which is far away from being consumer friendly price wise.

People a few years ago said OLED was the holy grail of TVs. The same is now happening with MicroLED and it'll happen again. /

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
By the time micro LED hits consumer homes, you will likely be able to buy the same sized OLED panel, let it burn in, and then buy another one a couple of years later.. and have change to spare.

My personally detest people who write off the best-in-class current technology to idolise the next level of tech which is far away from being consumer friendly price wise.

People a few years ago said OLED was the holy grail of TVs. The same is now happening with MicroLED and it'll happen again. /
Yeah. True. I wanted OLED from a while ago but only recently got it. My reasons were still being happy with my plasma, not enough 4K and HDR content, waiting for the tech to mature and come down in price, finally to have HDMI 2.1 which I felt we reach in 2019 so I pulled the trigger on Black Friday on a 55” LG B9 which cost me £994 with 6 years warranty.

I am set for no less than 5 years now. Let’s see if MicroLED will be out by then at a reasonable price for say an 70+ inch screen. Around that time I may do an extension to the living room so a bigger screen will be needed :)

Soldato
Yeah. True. I wanted OLED from a while ago but only recently got it. My reasons were still being happy with my plasma, not enough 4K and HDR content, waiting for the tech to mature and come down in price, finally to have HDMI 2.1 which I felt we reach in 2019 so I pulled the trigger on Black Friday on a 55” LG B9 which cost me £994 with 6 years warranty.

I am set for no less than 5 years now. Let’s see if MicroLED will be out by then at a reasonable price for say an 70+ inch screen. Around that time I may do an extension to the living room so a bigger screen will be needed :)
I think you made an excellent, well timed, well thought out decision there.

We're now in a situation where there is lots of content, the C9 ticks every single box most gamers would want so yeah.. you smashed it.

I'm personally waiting for the 77'' C9 to come down in price (if ever). If it doesn't, I MIGHT just go for the 65'' C9 but it will be regretably as honestly I REALLY want an upgrade in screen size.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think you made an excellent, well timed, well thought out decision there.

We're now in a situation where there is lots of content, the C9 ticks every single box most gamers would want so yeah.. you smashed it.

I'm personally waiting for the 77'' C9 to come down in price (if ever). If it doesn't, I MIGHT just go for the 65'' C9 but it will be regretably as honestly I REALLY want an upgrade in screen size.
77” would be awesome. Just as you say right now just too expensive. If you look at Black Friday pricing, you could have got around 3 of 65” C9’s for the price of a 77”.

Soldato
77” would be awesome. Just as you say right now just too expensive. If you look at Black Friday pricing, you could have got around 3 of 65” C9’s for the price of a 77”.
I have a projector and it’s sadly got me used to a big screen so 65 just feels like it lacks a lot of impact now.

Soldato
Get rid of the projector, force yourself to use a 40” LCD for a month, then get the 65” OLED ;)

haha just can’t do it. I can’t watch black bar content on a normal screen now. The sense of scale and detail I can actually see cos the image is bigger is insane.

My 65 tv is now for gaming

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
haha just can’t do it. I can’t watch black bar content on a normal screen now. The sense of scale and detail I can actually see cos the image is bigger is insane.

My 65 tv is now for gaming
:D

Which projector you got by the way? I always felt quality wise they were no way near tv’s, but not seen the latest tech. How does it compare to say a QLED or OLED?

Soldato
:D

Which projector you got by the way? I always felt quality wise they were no way near tv’s, but not seen the latest tech. How does it compare to say a QLED or OLED?

HW40ES + A Draper React 3.1 screen. the screen is high end but the PJ is a second hand old high end projector.. which translates to dirt cheap lol.

Its all about the ALR screens.
In envrionments which aren't batcaves, they manage to plummet the black levels really nicely. I'll take a video of it tonight and show you.

I'm aiming to upgrade the PJ to a 4K one but sadly they are very expensive atm (circa 5000) except for one which is the epson 9400.. thats still about 2500.. and i'd rather put that money towards the 77 OLED cos i can game on it nicely. My personal opinion is the quality is not near enough to an OLED TV unless u have a high end PJ + a high end screen which is very expensive but dependant on content.. the experience is 10x better.

but yeah ill take a few vids and u can judge for urself how u think it compares to a qled/oled (the blacks don't compare imo but my hw40es is a bargain basement projector).
ill do a video from seating position on my 65'' FALD panny.. and then do one with it on the PJ screen at seating distance.

but this years OLEDs are stackkkked. hdmi 2.1, gsync, 120hz... its too much to pass up for gamers.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
HW40ES + A Draper React 3.1 screen. the screen is high end but the PJ is a second hand old high end projector.. which translates to dirt cheap lol.

Its all about the ALR screens.
In envrionments which aren't batcaves, they manage to plummet the black levels really nicely. I'll take a video of it tonight and show you.

I'm aiming to upgrade the PJ to a 4K one but sadly they are very expensive atm (circa 5000) except for one which is the epson 9400.. thats still about 2500.. and i'd rather put that money towards the 77 OLED cos i can game on it nicely. My personal opinion is the quality is not near enough to an OLED TV unless u have a high end PJ + a high end screen which is very expensive but dependant on content.. the experience is 10x better.

but yeah ill take a few vids and u can judge for urself how u think it compares to a qled/oled (the blacks don't compare imo but my hw40es is a bargain basement projector).
ill do a video from seating position on my 65'' FALD panny.. and then do one with it on the PJ screen at seating distance.

but this years OLEDs are stackkkked. hdmi 2.1, gsync, 120hz... its too much to pass up for gamers.
Thanks. Will be interting to see. The last projector I watched a movie on (apart from cinema) was my brothers from like around 15 years ago. We watched the Resident Evil DVD. At the time you had DVD's that were called SuperBit or something like that which were higher quality. I think they removed all the extras on DVD's and used the full size of the disc on the movie.

Was cool from the sheer size of the thing and having a cinema experience at home. Though he did not have the space to have it setup at all times as he already had a huge CRT TV at the time so it did not get as much use. Also as I recall you had to replace something in the projector after so many hours of viewing which was not cheap.

These days I go cinema and I am disappointed with the picture quality. Even my Plasma TV has better quality. Though admittedly I have not gone to say something like IMAX in some years now.

Back
Top Bottom