Witcher 3

Soldato
Just started playing through this properly, I think it's going to be hard going after BotW.

The movement and feel, especially on a horse doesn't work for me, very floaty. With Zelda it always felt much more weighty.

I can see why Witcher received such high acclaim at the time but coming to it new it seems quite clunky.

Will keep at it for a while and see if it clicks but feeling it might be on the MM soon.

Also, Geralt seems like a bell end.
I've got the same issue, BOTW has ruined other open world games for me. Although weirdly Death Stranding has really grabbed me.

Soldato
The game's incredible, the horse is annoying though, I tend to run or use fast travel unless I have to. Although Roach follows the path ok sometimes I find myself tangled in a tree for no apparent reason. This is, admittedly, coming from someone who couldn't get the signs to work without help from forum members :D.

Soldato
Just started playing through this properly, I think it's going to be hard going after BotW.

The movement and feel, especially on a horse doesn't work for me, very floaty. With Zelda it always felt much more weighty.

I can see why Witcher received such high acclaim at the time but coming to it new it seems quite clunky.

Will keep at it for a while and see if it clicks but feeling it might be on the MM soon.

Also, Geralt seems like a bell end.

sadly even RDR2 doesn't match BOTW in certain mechanics.

BOTW reduces realism in favour of making the open world feel.. open.. and more accessible and a hell of a lot less scripted.
this is summed up with the fact you can and should play BOTW without a mini map. it basically doesn't have one and even the dungeon mini maps aren't the best. You have to look around you and learn what paths to go.

i standby that BOTW took open world games and made them feel magical. its just that annoyingly pathetically amazing nintendo charm in regards to video games which no one seems to be able to easily emulate consistently.

in RDR2/TW3 sadly it is very muchso a mini map game and without the mini map, almost impossible to complete or play. Certain quests require you to go to an EXACT spots.. whilst BOTW will give you some weird riddle oyu need to try and figure out..

try to concentrate on the quality of the story as thats where TW3 shines. but even then, if you've played GOW, you'll probably find the storytelling based on cut scenes to be very last-gen compared to GOW's one-take over the hsoulder camera which is 10000x more immersive.

Soldato
I'm playing of PS4 Pro rather than Switch due to the significant price difference.

The story seems interesting, but like you folks mention I seem to be staring at the minimap half the time rather than taking in the beautiful world.

My other weird gripe is the trees, they awsw really badly and too fast, odd complaint I know but feels like I'm on a set rather than in a world. :D

Soldato
The story seems interesting, but like you folks mention I seem to be staring at the minimap half the time rather than taking in the beautiful world.

In Witcher 3 (and a few other games actually) I have turned most of the HUD off, including the minimap - as it really distracts you from the gorgeous surroundings. It can make it a faff sometimes, having to jump into the main map to navigate - but you start to memorize landmarks etc to help you - so you soon learn to live without it :)

Soldato
Combat is janky, acting is laughably bad and Gerallt is totally unlikable. I've bought it twice, tried to get into it twice and I've failed both times. I bought it on the Switch in the sale this Christmas and I am determined to give it one more shot. Because of all the praise it gets there must be something good about it - I just haven't found out what it is yet!

I couldn't get into RDR2 either but I adored BoTW. Maybe I'm just burnt out with open world games. Maybe Zelda ruined them for me, too?

I'll give it a go with the HUD off. I used to love playing Far Cry games that way. Far more immersive.

Man of Honour
Combat is janky, acting is laughably bad and Gerallt is totally unlikable. I've bought it twice, tried to get into it twice and I've failed both times. I bought it on the Switch in the sale this Christmas and I am determined to give it one more shot. Because of all the praise it gets there must be something good about it - I just haven't found out what it is yet!

I couldn't get into RDR2 either but I adored BoTW. Maybe I'm just burnt out with open world games. Maybe Zelda ruined them for me, too?

I'll give it a go with the HUD off. I used to love playing Far Cry games that way. Far more immersive.

Zelda is quite different to most open world games.

Most (e.g. Skyrim, Witcher, Fallout) have janky combat and movement but great atmosphere, sorry telling, and characters. BotW is literally the opposite of that so it's no surprise if you like it that you dislike most other open world games.

Soldato
Zelda is quite different to most open world games.

Most (e.g. Skyrim, Witcher, Fallout) have janky combat and movement but great atmosphere, sorry telling, and characters. BotW is literally the opposite of that so it's no surprise if you like it that you dislike most other open world games.

You're probably right. I forced myself to finish Fallout 4 but I never really enjoyed it. I really like Skyrim though and I've played through it a few times. Perhaps the setting appeals to me more. The scale of the world in Skyrim gives me a similar feeling of wonder in the same way that Zelda does (though not quite so much!). Not feeling that with TW3. I will push past where I got to the last couple of times. I think maybe lifestyle has played a big part in me not continuing with longer games (RDR2, Assassins Creed etc) as I don't get much couch time. The Switch suits more because of those short sessions.

The acting in TW3 is really, really bad though.

Soldato

How far do you get in W3?

I think its one the best games I have ever played, I do find the start a bit slow, but once the story gets going and the world opens up it's brilliant.

I'm trying to start a 2nd play through, but haven't had the free time.

Soldato
How far do you get in W3?

I think its one the best games I have ever played, I do find the start a bit slow, but once the story gets going and the world opens up it's brilliant.

I'm trying to start a 2nd play through, but haven't had the free time.

Not far at all. An hour or so after the Griffin - both times. So yeah, barely started.

Soldato
In Witcher 3 (and a few other games actually) I have turned most of the HUD off, including the minimap - as it really distracts you from the gorgeous surroundings. It can make it a faff sometimes, having to jump into the main map to navigate - but you start to memorize landmarks etc to help you - so you soon learn to live without it :)

Thanks, I'll give that a try, I did find with the first few quests I hardly ever took my eyes off the minimap.

Soldato

I had the same problem with RDR2 and AC: Odyssey (as well as W3), I think BotW has broken most games for me :)

I'm loving Subnautica at the moment though, not an open world game but feels like I'm really exploring (and there is no map!).

Soldato
I have another dumb question, when I have an ingredient missing it says I can pin it to the shop menu, I'm lost as to where that is specifically? Also, when browsing a shop for ingredients if I get a green sentence in the description does that mean I already have it?

Thanks.

Soldato
I have another dumb question, when I have an ingredient missing it says I can pin it to the shop menu, I'm lost as to where that is specifically? Also, when browsing a shop for ingredients if I get a green sentence in the description does that mean I already have it?

Thanks.

Pinning just means the specific ingredients will be highlighted in the shop - I don't recall how, my memory is suggesting they show in green or something. Bear in mind, the shops/traders sell different things - so you might find yourself going to several locations to find the necessary ingredients.

Soldato
Pinning just means the specific ingredients will be highlighted in the shop - I don't recall how, my memory is suggesting they show in green or something. Bear in mind, the shops/traders sell different things - so you might find yourself going to several locations to find the necessary ingredients.

Thank you sir.

Associate
I'm going to start my 2nd play through at the weekend, well I have already started it again, but not had the time to get into it, only arrived at White Orchard.

Don't forget to hoard some Silver for the Viper Silver Sword as this covers you till around level 11 where you can look to change to a full set of Griffin gear incl. Steel and Silver swords.

Shawrey

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom