January Transfer Window 2019/20

Don
I guess if Werner came, then we'd play something like a 4-2-1-3 , with Mane, Werner, Salah as the front 3 and Firmino sat behind them

I can't see that ever happening, why would there be a need for a change in formation? The front 3 aren't old, I'm sure Klopp will just look for young, squad players to replace them when injured. Werner is going to be going for around 80m odd, Real will probably get him.

Don
Very likely that Shaqiri will be off in the summer. All the Liverpool press pack have just reported that we've turned down approaches from Sevilla and Roma to take him on loan and we'll be demanding €30m for him in the summer. As soon as the club start briefing about the possibility of somebody leaving and even touting a price, it's safe to say they're very open to him leaving. With Minamino arriving and Ox back fit this season, plus the possibility of another forward in the summer, it doesn't leave much room for Shaq. He done a job for us and we'll no doubt get a nice profit on what we paid for him but ultimately he's not suited to how we play.
I guess if Werner came, then we'd play something like a 4-2-1-3 , with Mane, Werner, Salah as the front 3 and Firmino sat behind them
I really can't see us playing with all 4 of Firmino, Mane, Salah and Werner in the side on a regular basis. It's just far too attacking. At best you might see them together if we're chasing a game late on or maybe at home vs a lesser side but that's about it. If we're in for Werner then it'll be on the basis of him being another option for our current system. His (plus the current 3's) versatility, mean there will be plenty of opportunities for him to play, especially with the African Cup of Nations being moved back to January again next year.

My preference would be for Sancho though. He'd provide that 4th option for the front 3 but you could also see all 4 of them playing regularly too. We've had periods where we've played a 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 in the last 18 months and he's enough of a midfielder that he could play wide in that system for us.

Man of Honour
Thing is...Is Werner really going to want to come and sit on the bench from time to time? His stock and value is high, you'd expect him to want to be a starter whenever possible. Equally, Firmino, Salah and Manes stock is high, are any of those going to want to sit out on the bench so that Werner can come in? If we don't play all 4 of them then I think someones nose will be out of joint. I'd almost say that we just don't need Werner if Mane, Salah and Firmino all remain.

tbh, I'd rather we signed Havertz (or Grealish even, for a cheaper option) for the midfield than Werner for a front line which is fine as it is.

Soldato
Apparently thats nonsense.

Werner to Liverpool floating about. Yes please

Said with no hint of irony at all :D

Just cos a player is 'linked' with a club it doesn't mean its going to happen. Every single window a bucket load of players are associated with clubs, eventually one or two stick but until its done, there's no point in getting your knickers in a twist about which transfers would be good / bad / true / nonsense. :o

Don
Thing is...Is Werner really going to want to come and sit on the bench from time to time? His stock and value is high, you'd expect him to want to be a starter whenever possible. Equally, Firmino, Salah and Manes stock is high, are any of those going to want to sit out on the bench so that Werner can come in? If we don't play all 4 of them then I think someones nose will be out of joint. I'd almost say that we just don't need Werner if Mane, Salah and Firmino all remain.

tbh, I'd rather we signed Havertz (or Grealish even, for a cheaper option) for the midfield than Werner for a front line which is fine as it is.
It's not going to be easy to keep them all happy all the time but I don't think it would be quite as big an issue as you think. The benefit of Werner as opposed to an other striker is that he could easily play wide in our front 3 too. With us likely to play 50-55 games, the versatility of all four of them would mean that's 150-165 opportunities to start. Assuming Werner would effectively replace Origi and even accounting for some games where Minamino would play in the front 3, you'd still be looking at close to 40 starts each on average for Werner, Salah, Mane and Firmino and total appearances including subs of around 50, which would be the same as Salah, Mane and Firmino averaged in the last 2 seasons.

I don't buy into the idea that it's been down to luck that none of our front 3 have had a bad injury (clubs will take into account fitness records and a players durability when they sign them) but there's still the potential that one of them could be unlucky and pick up a bad injury at some point. Throw in the fact that the Afcon is being moved back to January to make room for FIFA's new club world cup and the need for another top quality forward far outweighs the risks of keeping 4 of them happy imo.

Re Havertz, I've not seen him enough to comment too much. If he was capable of playing more as a midfielder as well as a forward then he, like Sancho, would potentially be a more suitable option.

Permabanned
Said with no hint of irony at all :D

Just cos a player is 'linked' with a club it doesn't mean its going to happen. Every single window a bucket load of players are associated with clubs, eventually one or two stick but until its done, there's no point in getting your knickers in a twist about which transfers would be good / bad / true / nonsense. :o

This is why I mostly no longer bother looking at transfer "news", its 99% bull.

Caporegime
Course it won't happen but then again over 30, utd would give him stupid wages since they do every one else so suddenly seems plausible :p

Why do South Americans give up so young? Tevez was immense on his day but basically retired at 30.

Also I can see United getting no one in this window. Say what you want about Ole but the people above him are diabolical.

Back
Top Bottom