My thermal flask test thread.

Soldato
In my quest for a thermal flask to give the best heat retention,

I have decided to buy one of these > https://www.outdoorwales.net/stanley-master-vacuum-bottle-14qt13l.ir

Why well because it uses quadvac.

From https://www.stanley-pmi.com/blogs/t...rand-introduces-master-series-for-spring-2017

QuadVac™ adds a double layer barrier to the double wall vacuum insulation, locking in heat or cold better than any other technology currently available. The four layers offer protection from convective, conductive and radiant energy transfer creating the highest thermal retention rates. To create the most durable bottle, Stanley Master Series uses 1.0mm thick stainless steel, compared to the industry standard 0.6mm, making Stanley’s construction 50 to 100 percent thicker than others on the market.

It is rather expensive but i have confidence this will be the best flask in my inventory, until i find out by testing it.

Dan.
looks a great flask with a very useful capacity ,some people have said very long heat retention times are not useful in the real world but in my world i have very long days out that may turn into wild camping in the summer ,when we moved to cornwall we had to sleep in the car on house hunting trips in the winter and just pay for the odd campsite (was moving down without a job looking to buy for cash from the yorkshire house sale but only just affording the lowest priced properties} so again a flask was a great help

Soldato
been giving mine another run out to crantock today ,dont see the point in paying good money to cafes

IMG-20200119-151643-1.jpg
I had one of those many years ago,huge capacity it was
Sadly i found it crap Coffee,no milk,preheated and by dinnertime the coffee was cold :(
How do you find it ?
Was over 20 years ago,have they got better?

Associate
OP
It's amazing, very hot all day long, I'm using it now down in Newquay,, lifetime guarantee, don't even need to preheat milk, love it

1+

My Stanley classic legend also was nice and hot,

At the 12 hour mark it is hot enough to burn your lip (so it is just like boiling water straight from the kettle) despite fewer c when first put in until 12 hours.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Please do the tests in the fridge and freezer.

I need a decent flask so will be keeping an eye on this

If i can find space in the freezer or fridge or the alternative is leaving the flask outside, instead of the fridge but not the freezer.

Also, i will test the flask up to the 12 hour mark, not 24, because for most people 12 hours is ample time for most people as have said and still give you an idea.

When i am ready i will let you know, i will be doing another test indeed, also i will be this time preheating the flask from the start, by filling up fully with boiling water and leave it for at least 2 minutes, then drain and then put boiling water in it again and then start the test.

I will be testing 1 flask which is the Stanley master vacuum bottle 1.3l with quadvac.

If i can find room in the freezer i will let you know and conduct the test in the freezer.

So yea every 6 hours i will check the temperature also i will be using a different thermometer.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
In comparison to my other tests right, which i did without preheat and leaving them in a room with a temperature of 18c, i will have to test the stanley master 1.3 litre bottle in that condition which is testing it without preheat and in the same temperature conditions so to get a rough idea of how good the heat retention is in comparison to the other flasks that were tested, yea may seem unfair because apparently the more hot fluid the more it will stay hotter.

If i think the Stanley master quad vac is any good and is the best i am considering giving my other thermal flasks away, friends family or people on this thread.

As well as testing the flask outside and in the freezer.

Dan.

Last edited:
Soldato
yea may seem unfair because apparently the more hot fluid the more it will stay hotter.
they have a bigger surface area though ... ideally the'd be spherical ?

metal flasks are definitely harder to maintain than glasss too, for daily use; look at the grim earlier picture, for glass you can use babys bottle tablets/bicarb ..
and remove that tomato soup tang.

Soldato
Also, i will test the flask up to the 12 hour mark, not 24, because for most people 12 hours is ample time for most people as have said and still give you an idea.

I like this, as it makes them easier to test and as you say, is plenty long enough. I have the thermometer, but I don't think I have the dedication to cut my sleep short to measure temps though :) 12 hours means I can test the two items I have on my day off.

Associate
OP
I like this, as it makes them easier to test and as you say, is plenty long enough. I have the thermometer, but I don't think I have the dedication to cut my sleep short to measure temps though :) 12 hours means I can test the two items I have on my day off.

Let me know what you think about that thermometer, also make sure you leave it in the liquid for at least 10-15 seconds for it to give a correct reading.

Nice to have you on board.

Dan.

Associate
OP
Will do. I have a Chilly's to test and a insulated travel mug to try too. Are there any other branded flasks needed doing?

The 2 top brands i know of personally is Stanley and Thermos and possibly the Zojirushi brand as well and or whatever brand the people here would bring up like the tartan flasks that were mentioned on this thread.

Anyways the more brands we test the more we will know any how, so it is like busting the myth and the more comes to light the better with the results for example the chilly flask you will test.

We will be using this > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r0ZEVhnXF97QpugLyveziQB0vIAPz8T1bz6sRLTNlUE/edit#gid=0

We will have to state the testing conditions like if the flask was pre heated or not or what the room temperature or temperature is etc,

Dan.

Last edited:

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I was thinking about getting a flask to put in the car which I can swig on using one hand whilst driving stopping, turning the engine off, and fully engaging the handbrake.

Has anyone tried a Thermos Direct Flask? Apparently keeps warm for 10 hours.

Soldato
Associate
I don't really need a flask that much, I'm rarely away from a kettle for long. But it would be good to have some kind of cup for my car that can stay hot for a while. Does anyone have any recommendations.

Associate
OP
I've got a Thermapen 4 (fastest and best thermometer in the world) and a 1.2 litre flask. Are they ok for the test?

Yeah, in that spreadsheet will have to mention of what thermometer was used.

Just a change of mind, it is contradictory but forgive me, i don't mind at all anyways what i am doing is just a hobby.

@AndyCr15 controls that spreadsheet so you will have to ask him to publish results on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom