• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Weird issue with my Vega 56

Associate
Hi all,

New to the forums but have been buying from OC since 2005 or so! I'm having a lot of trouble diagnosing an issue with my graphics card at the moment and would appreciate any ideas anyone has here. Rest of system:

CPU: i5 8600k @ 4.8ghz, 1.305v
RAM: 4x4GB DDR4
PSU: 650W Corsair

Background:
The card itself is the Vega 56 MSI 'air boost' which I picked up dirt cheap. I did the usual tinkering with the card (power limit +50%, undervolt, memory 950mhz) which got it running faster and cooler, but the thing still ran very hot (75 degs) and sounded like a jet engine. It crashed roughly every couple of hours while gaming (black screen, fans ramp to 100 degs) unless I even further undervolted and underclocked it. I mostly put up with the noise and crashes, but, I decided my girlfriend probably wouldn't put up with the noise when we're due to move in, so I installed a Morpheus II on it with a couple of 120mm case fans. First run was all good - everything working, dropped 20 degs (!) on temps, but I got cocky and decided to see how quiet I could get it and re-ran the Heaven test with fans at 30%. Got very hot and I was just about to stop the test as it hit 78 degs when the screen froze and I turned off the system.

Issue:
After that I can't get it the card to consistently load Windows via the GPU display outputs even though it displays bios just fine. Sometimes it would load (but never with both monitors), other times it wouldn't. Did a clean reinstall, reseated card, changed to good quality cables but the issue persists. Have tested everything else working fine with the on-board graphics.

Display ports 2 and 3 I haven't been able to get to load Windows yet. 1 does actually boot Windows SOMETIMES, but then doesn't others and last time I got it to work it had weird artifacts which disappeared as soon as I moved a window around (weird!!). Finally tried the HDMI and that seems to be fine although haven't hit it with anything other than browsing yet.

Potential causes?:
- Damaged displayports during installation of Morpheus ii? Very possible, though it worked fine for around 10 mins with both monitors plugged in
- Heat damage/faulty card? As mentioned, it's done the black screen/fans ramp to 100% thing ever since I got it, and I did have one BSOD 'driver stuck in loop' error a week before trying the morpheus ii.
- Some sort of driver/bios issue? The fans are plugged directly into the motherboard now so it can't ramp its own fans up which might be making it throw a hissy fit?
- PSU insufficent power? Less likely but I'm well aware that this is a lot for a 650w PSU to be powering.

It'd suck to have to bin the card because it doesn't seem to be totally borked and does run cooler and quieter now. Maybe I could plug two monitors in by having my second display in the motherboard iGPU as a quick fix, or does anyone have any other possible solutions?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yea, it's just a bit concerning that it went fubar during a stress test when it hit 78 degs and has been bad ever since. Maybe the hot spot was super bad or something...I've tried a few more things and I got the display outputs to work but it always crashes (and corrupts the hell out of Windows) on installing anything other than the basic display drivers. Gonna test if it's the PSU next and test in another PCI-E slot but pretty unlikely. Relatively new (2 years) CX unit...

Back
Top Bottom