LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
The 48" LG CX is being promoted as a gaming monitor for PCs so definitely not a week as the panels haven't changed significantly since C9.

I think a fair few have/will invest in them for gaming with the promotion of gsync, so we'll hear reports eventually.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 48" LG CX is being promoted as a gaming monitor for PCs so definitely not a week as the panels haven't changed significantly since C9.

I think a fair few have/will invest in them for gaming with the promotion of gsync, so we'll hear reports eventually.

I'll be interested to hear LG's take on this, given how heavily they are pushing their marketing towards PC use and gaming... if they turn around and say this is misuse if and when people suffer burn-in... well, that's going to cause a bit of a fuss to say the least... :rolleyes:

Associate
I am fully aware of what people mean by "PC monitor" but again, people seem to miss the point here of why are they limiting themselves to just 1 display for "everything" despite wanting the goodness of OLED for primarily gaming/media. Think bigger, isn't this why people like PC as they have choice for how they want their systems to work for their usage.....

So for my overall usage, the way my setup works for me is superb, it is a seamless experience for work and play where I get the full benefits of OLED for all my entertainment purposes (where the IQ really matters to me) and then my "desk" setup for the normal/boring type of usage.

I think people are just too hung up on having to have one display for everything and can't stand the thought of having more than 1 display connected to their PC.

Also, iirc aoaaron (the OP of this thread) has done a similar setup to mine now after experimenting with different displays, setups etc.

I prefer they'd fix the monitors so no ones "forced" to "think bigger". Multimonitor setups are just not possible for 99.9% of users, especially when the sizes are at 48" or 55" and 49" suw etc.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I prefer they'd fix the monitors so no ones "forced" to "think bigger". Multimonitor setups are just not possible for 99.9% of users, especially when the sizes are at 48" or 55" and 49" suw etc.
I would prefer micro led comes out soon and costs less than OLED, but it is what it is right now. If you want the best image quality then you either have to take a chance or go multi monitor. Then you can be CaptainComplete :p

Caporegime
^^

Exactly.

With the way the monitor market is, you'll be waiting years. I had enough of the **** show of the monitor market in 2017 and have enjoyed thousands of hours on loads of games on my OLED now and will continue to do so until monitors catch up on all fronts especially pricing, if ever...... which is highly unlikely given the completely different consumer base and the way the market works.

Back then, I was the exact same of just wanting to have one display (went from dual screen to one UW), however, I'm glad with the way I went in the end as the versatility and the way my setup works for my needs/usage is actually far better than just having one display for "everything".

If people are happy to continue waiting for oled/micro led "monitor" goodness and can put up with all the drawbacks of the monitors today until then, then no problem but know that you will be in for a long wait and know that you will be paying a fortune for them. I wanted the "true" blacks with an infinite contrast ratio with proper HDR support without paying a fortune, there was no option on the monitor market and I knew there wouldn't be for a long time.

Will strongly disagree on that, having seen most "PC gamer" setups on here over the years, there is far more people with dual setups and with loads of space than 0.01%.........

Soldato
^^

Exactly.

With the way the monitor market is, you'll be waiting years. I had enough of the **** show of the monitor market in 2017 and have enjoyed thousands of hours on loads of games on my OLED now and will continue to do so until monitors catch up on all fronts especially pricing, if ever...... which is highly unlikely given the completely different consumer base and the way the market works.

Back then, I was the exact same of just wanting to have one display (went from dual screen to one UW), however, I'm glad with the way I went in the end as the versatility and the way my setup works for my needs/usage is actually far better than just having one display for "everything".

If people are happy to continue waiting for oled/micro led "monitor" goodness and can put up with all the drawbacks of the monitors today until then, then no problem but know that you will be in for a long wait and know that you will be paying a fortune for them. I wanted the "true" blacks with an infinite contrast ratio with proper HDR support without paying a fortune, there was no option on the monitor market and I knew there wouldn't be for a long time.

Will strongly disagree on that, having seen most "PC gamer" setups on here over the years, there is far more people with dual setups and with loads of space than 0.01%.........
Have you noticed any burn in? If I buy a new screen then it will probably be the LG 48" as the monitor market is just terrible in terms of bang for buck, 48" is still rather large for close viewing and my desk though. I am sceptical about the burn in 'excuse' as we managed fine with CRTs and screen savers in the past.

Caporegime
Have you noticed any burn in? If I buy a new screen then it will probably be the LG 48" as the monitor market is just terrible in terms of bang for buck, 48" is still rather large for close viewing and my desk though. I am sceptical about the burn in 'excuse' as we managed fine with CRTs and screen savers in the past.

Not a single sign at all.

Caporegime
Good to know, thank you. As I said, I think the issue is overblown.

From my experience, most definitely overblown.

Only time I really see people posting about burn in is when they watch sky/cnn news like 8 hours a day at 100% oled light setting...........

TBH, now that I think of it, did that Dell OLED monitor ever show signs of burn in, as I don't think it did.

Also, some of the OLED laptops out there seem to be holding up very well:

Associate
The Alienware laptop may have survived burn-in better due to low frequency PWM (240hz).

Fortunately PWM has yet to make its way to OLED TVs - give it time tho and burn-in will be the least of your concerns for use as a monitor.

Soldato
OP
All this is convincing me to get the 48" version when it comes out. Do hope it's affordable.

If you can’t fit in a 55’’ then 48’’ will be great.

I have a REALLY soft spot for the 55’’ because it has the actual width of a CRG9 monitor / Sammy G9 monitor and that’s one of my favourite displays of all time

Associate
This thread has been really interesting but one thing that your not getting is the curve which from what I've read adds to the immersion on these super ultra wide monitors.

Caporegime
I would prefer micro led comes out soon and costs less than OLED, but it is what it is right now. If you want the best image quality then you either have to take a chance or go multi monitor. Then you can be CaptainComplete :p

Going to be 5 years at least before micro led is cheaper than OLED. With OLED panel production maturing and ramping up from more manufacturers to over 3m units per year and cost of production dropping to $30 - the same as lcd panels.

Micro led is going to be stupidly expensive when it first comes out. Hell most mini LED monitors are £3k+ still atm.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Going to be 5 years at least before micro led is cheaper than OLED. With OLED panel production maturing and ramping up from more manufacturers to over 3m units per year and cost of production dropping to $30 - the same as lcd panels.

Micro led is going to be stupidly expensive when it first comes out. Hell most mini LED monitors are £3k+ still atm.
Yea I know man. He was just saying what he would prefer, so I thought I would tell him what I would prefer, you know as we are dreaming. End of the day, if it was easy, it would have been done by now.

Associate
Hi all just got my LG C9, all is great but one thing, when using it as pc monitor, its all zomed in even in 1440p and 4k like google search fill half the screen whats up whit that, same for youtube in search i can onle see like 2-3 recomendations as it so zoomed in???? i use 16:9 what u guys did to fix this.

Caporegime
Hi all just got my LG C9, all is great but one thing, when using it as pc monitor, its all zomed in even in 1440p and 4k like google search fill half the screen whats up whit that, same for youtube in search i can onle see like 2-3 recomendations as it so zoomed in???? i use 16:9 what u guys did to fix this.

Right click on Windows desktop and select Display Settings, you should be able to change the scaling from in there.

Back
Top Bottom