Which brand new car would you choose for up to 25k

Caporegime
An S60 will probably lose over 60% (of its full price) at trade in after 3 years.

Buying new has nothing to do with the reg plate for me. Instead spending £25k on an older car would mean far more £ and inconvenience in running and repairs. No movement on price and probaly worse deals to buy.

For what my new Touran costs a month, I could have got a 3 year old one for the same price per month, paid over 60 months. The 3 year old one would probably be a previous model and abused by previous owners kids and dogs as well.

It's funny how some people manage to buy a car for £4k then maybe spend £2000 on servicing and repairs. So £6k total over 4 years. And the car is still worth £3k+ at the end of it all.

Yet you think it's better to spend £50k on a car and lose £25k in 3 years.

Not all cars fall apart as they get older. Some have issues yes. Some are very reliable and only need the odd major repair every few years. Some don't even need that

Caporegime
It's not all about that though is it? You surely recognise that a sub 12 month old car is a different ownership experience from a 3-4 year old car which in turn is a different experience to a 10 year old one.

Depends on the car. Some cars at 3-4 years old are no different to a sub 12 month old one bar needing mot and a major service.

Soldato
OP
It's funny how some people manage to buy a car for £4k then maybe spend £2000 on servicing and repairs. So £6k total over 4 years. And the car is still worth £3k+ at the end of it all.
I look at it this way

My car cost £23,500
Let say I get £13,500 for it if I sold it at 4 year old
That £10,000 loss over 4 years = £48 per week

£3000 loss on an older £4,000 car + 2k repairs = £14 per week over 4 years

So it costs roughly £34 per week more to have a brand new 23k car over 4 years then an old 4k car

Correct me if am wrong here

Caporegime
I look at it this way

My car cost £23,500

So it costs roughly £34 per week more to have a brand new 23k car over 4 years then an old 4k car

A car worth £4K would never lose £3K though in most cases. It will usually still be worth something if you buy smart and if you didn't I'd say maybe still worth £2K and again if you buy smart shouldn't cost £2K in repairs unless something major fails on it.

Like buy an old honda civic or a toyota. Rather than an old vauxhall.

My car has appreciated in value since I bought it as an even more obscure example.

Anyway your maths helps me prove my point. It's cheaper to buy a car which has already depreciated than buy brand new even when you take into account repair costs. As depreciation is massive on new cars. It would take several major bills to make new cheaper than old.

Soldato
Sorry, I am going to rain on every bodies parade here. But I am really puzzled.

I really do not understand how you can do it? £25,000 on a Car! :eek:

The most I have spent on a vehicle in the last 25 years is actually £3500 on a Luton van that I bought last year because I knew I needed one to move house (which I am now doing)

I have nevertheless spent most of my motoring life driving around in (Old admittedly) luxury Jaguars, BMW's and whatever, so I am not selling myself short or anything

Really, why does anybody ever have to go anywhere near £25,000 for a nice car?.

I am seriously baffled...I really am.:confused:

Caporegime
Sorry, I am going to rain on every bodies parade here. But I am really puzzled.

I really do not understand how you can do it? £25,000 on a Car! :eek:

The most I have spent on a vehicle in the last 25 years is actually £3500 on a Luton van that I bought last year because I knew I needed one to move house (which I am now doing)

I have nevertheless spent most of my motoring life driving around in (Old admittedly) luxury Jaguars, BMW's and whatever, so I am not selling myself short or anything

Really, why does anybody ever have to go anywhere near £25,000 for a nice car?.

I am seriously baffled...I really am.:confused:

You say it yourself - so that they don't get something old. If people didn't pay more than 25k you wouldn't be getting your old luxury jags and BMWs...

Soldato
You say it yourself - so that they don't get something old. If people didn't pay more than 25k you wouldn't be getting your old luxury jags and BMWs...

That is very true,

My lifestyle leeches off the early adopters. :D :cool:

I know it! :D And have known it for the last 40-50 years, I have spent my whole life living really rather well on less than the minimum wage (Even before that concept ever existed) by being careful of how I spent my money. Not parsimonious (Remember the thing about Jags and BMW's), Just careful!

But I still have never really worked out the mind set of the people who spend all this on a few years of having the latest thing, I really haven't. While I am happy to advantage myself from this, I really cannot understand it.

Caporegime
That is very true,

I know it! :D And have known it for the last 40-50 years, I have spent my whole life living really rather well on less than the minimum wage (Even before that concept ever existed) by being careful of how I spent my money. Not parsimonious (Remember the thing about Jags and BMW's), Just careful!

But I still have never really worked out the mind set of the people who spend all this on a few years of having the latest thing, I really haven't. While I am happy to advantage myself from this, I really cannot understand it.

That's why you never have owners manuals.

:D

Soldato
That's why you never have owners manuals.

:D

True,

But (Except when the Bloody Lawyers are involved, see other thread) A Real Man doesn't need owners manuals!

Particularly with Women, all so different, all so much fun. Best to just make it up as you go along! :p :cool:

:cool:

Man of Honour
That is very true,

Everyone has different things in life which they enjoy. Some like to travel, some like nice food, some like tinkering with old cars, some like the latest tech.

Why is that hard to understand?

Associate
I look at it this way

My car cost £23,500

2k repairs?? on a 4k car?? where do you buy your cars from?

You can get a solid working car for 4k from auto trader.

As for depreciation ;

What are the averages for car depreciation?
With so many factors contributing to the exact rate of car depreciation, there can be enormous variations within ranges of models from an individual manufacturer. So how do you know roughly what to expect?

The average car depreciation will hit hardest in the first year of ownership. Generally the drop will be around 15-35% in the first 12 months. And that will continue to rise up to 50% or more over three years.

• Year 1: 15-35% depreciation. 65-85% of original value.
  • Year 3: 40-60% depreciation. 40-65% of original value.
  • Year 5: 60-70% depreciation. 30-40% of original value.
  • Year 8-10: 80% depreciation. 20% of original value.

Source : https://motorway.co.uk/guides/car-depreciation-guide

So my advice don't buy a car new, I'd look at buying a car 3 years old.

Soldato
For the last 13 years i've been driving the same 99 Honda Integra Type R, it's been a daily and an occasional track car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJNocpg1pQY&t=89s

In 20 years it's had the following gone wrong.

New battery (original lasted 16 years)
Slave clutch cylinder
2 x rear brake calipers
1 x ABS sensor
A few front bulbs needed replacing.

So that's under £500 of failed parts in 20 years, (average of £25 a year from new) just hold that for moment. Of course it's had a lot in servicing, 2 x new cambelts, engine oil every 5k miles, gearbox oil every 10k etc, but actual parts failed is very little.

Car is still on all original bushes and suspension, still on original clutch also. I don't think it's quite as tight as when I first purchased it 13 years ago, but not enough to do anything about, even on 20 years old handling / drive on this car is still better then most any other FWD car out there made.

And the engine gearbox is totally fine, no burning of oil, never been opened from factory, reliability even more remarkable with you consider it's a 1.8 NA engine with a 8500rpm fuel cut off.

The big expense I have coming is the milano red paint is faded and looking at around £2000 for a full respray and alloy refurb at some point.

And it's not just this Integra. I do track days with people who also own Honda S2000 and Honda Accord TypeR, and it's same reliability story. The cars are driven hard but they almost never go wrong, the secret is keep surviving them.

Last edited:
Associate
For the last 13 years i've been driving the same 99 Honda Integra Type R, it's been a daily and an occasional track car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJNocpg1pQY&t=89s

In 20 years it's had the following gone wrong.

New battery (original lasted 16 years)
Slave clutch cylinder
2 x rear brake calipers
1 x ABS sensor
A few front bulbs needed replacing.

So that's under £500 of failed parts in 20 years, (average of £25 a year from new) just hold that for moment. Of course it's had a lot in servicing, 2 x new cambelts, engine oil every 5k miles, gearbox oil every 10k etc, but actual parts failed is very little.

Car is still on all original bushes and suspension, still on original clutch also. I don't think it's quite as tight as when I first purchased it 13 years ago, but not enough to do anything about, even on 20 years old handling / drive on this car is still better then most any other FWD car out there made.

And the engine gearbox is totally fine, no burning of oil, never been opened from factory, reliability even more remarkable with you consider it's a 1.8 NA engine with a 8500rpm fuel cut off.

The big expense I have coming is the milano red paint is faded and looking at around £2000 for a full respray and alloy refurb at some point.

And it's not just this Integra. I do track days with people who also own Honda S2000 and Honda Accord TypeR, and it's same reliability story. The cars are driven hard but they almost never go wrong, the secret is keep surviving them.

Honda have always been reliable, its just a shame I don't like the new shape civic :p

Associate

Yet you think it's better to spend £50k on a car and lose £25k in 3 years.

Not all cars fall apart as they get older. Some have issues yes. Some are very reliable and only need the odd major repair every few years. Some don't even need that
It’s funny how some people think a £50k car and a £4k car are comparable.

I gave an example with my Touran. New was much more appealing.

Associate
I’ve had an S2000 and DC5 Integra. They’re the type of car that work out really well as a used purchase.

I’ve also been in a relatively bad car accident where I believe my then new Fiat Panda 100hp kept me alive, where as the old Saxo I had a few months prior would not have.

Back
Top Bottom