The Tesla Thread

Soldato
And it says right at the top 4 years and 50 k miles lol

Then the battery for 8 years seperately. And what do they mean by "drive unit".

Soldato
A video of, albeit model s, drive unit tear-down, does justify a more prestigious name than an electric motor

What's inside a Tesla Engine?
w/ references to back to the future .... at least there's no clutch (afaik?),
but the taycan with a multi-speed gearbox must present some additional reliability issues for , as the triumverate said, i think, the torques

Soldato
Longer day out and about yesterday visiting clients. First potential day where I would need to charge at some point whilst out.

4 client appointments, 180 miles driven, 4 hours 8 minutes driving time, rate miles used 246. (SR+)

1st & 2nd appointments done fine, headed for 3rd on and was about 25 minutes early, previously I would have just sat in the car and used my phone, instead, just found local charger and sat and watched netflix.....Supposed to be a 50kw fast CCS but was only getting 18kw from it at 50% battery.

Anyway - off for last appointment and again about 30 minutes early, found another 50kw charger about 3 minutes from clients house - lovely and fast, 48% battery to 85% battery in 25 minutes.

Home with 48% battery left.

Very simple and easy, no hassle at all, no "extra" time used to charge as I would have previously just sat around in the car waiting anyway. Very comfy and relaxed all day. Left home at 11am - home after 9.30pm and all was well.

Soldato
Not really, BMW have a 3 year unlimited miles. I thought the tesla was quite poor by comparison.

unlimited 3 years assuming you service it inline with the manufactures recommendation.....

versus - zero service for the Tesla unless required. 50k mileage and 4 year warranty will cover 90% of the model 3 drives fine. Unlimited mileage warranty is a sales tactic as very few people will actually do that level of mileage.

It's like saying unlimited text/minutes on a phone deal - most people are unlimited, however they probably use 60 minutes a month in reality.

Soldato
unlimited 3 years assuming you service it inline with the manufactures recommendation.....

versus - zero service for the Tesla unless required. 50k mileage and 4 year warranty will cover 90% of the model 3 drives fine. Unlimited mileage warranty is a sales tactic as very few people will actually do that level of mileage.

It's like saying unlimited text/minutes on a phone deal - most people are unlimited, however they probably use 60 minutes a month in reality.

True, but you look at Toyota and Hyundai and the cars are cheaper and longer.

The tesla is nothing special and IIRC the battery and drive unit warranty is in force due to USA regulations on EVs.

Soldato
I commute by bike/foot so will never be using it for that!

Do you do lots of 'leisure' miles? I can walk to work now so I only do 6-7000 miles a year, so using that chance to keep running noisy fun petrol cars until they're taxed off the road.

Having said that, if I needed the practicality of a family car like the 3 - I'd certainly take on over an M3/M4/C63/QF etc.

Soldato
Do you do lots of 'leisure' miles? I can walk to work now so I only do 6-7000 miles a year, so using that chance to keep running noisy fun petrol cars until they're taxed off the road.

Having said that, if I needed the practicality of a family car like the 3 - I'd certainly take on over an M3/M4/C63/QF etc.

A bit. We do 5-6k a year so similar, tends to either be short trips around town where a car's needed or a couple of hundred going to see family dotted about the UK.

My OH does commute ~24 miles a day and there's a free charger at her work (hospital) so she may well use it too. That'd only add 3,500-4,000 if she used it every single shift but given the free fuel I see no reason for her not to.

I'm imagining the Model 3 will give me a bit of driving enjoyment back as well and I'd like to push it a bit by driving to Europe or just further afield in the UK (Edinburgh for example); especially given the lower cost of fuel too.

Soldato
Fair enough. I couldn't justify it at that mileage personally, not when you could run something properly fun for less money. If you're not a car nerd though I totally get it, I am super on board the Tesla train - just waiting for the right time to get onboard.

I hope that the Model S refresh/Plaid/whatever it is brings in some styling though. I think it is a shame that the Performance models still look very plain, and despite demolishing everything else in their class they look very boring next to their competitors.

Watched an interesting carwow video last night. It was the main contenders all on a trip, they over night charged and set off (none were on 100%, so i assume they meant they charged then stopped charging overnight, so had limited battery degradation, iirc they said all were over 95%)
They drove them all until they stopped, literally stopped with no go at all. Some was night driving and they had heating on

Quite interesting real world ranges, how far they went on zero miles left etc.
Must admit the Kia looks very good considering price point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7V2tU3iFc

One thing I disagreed with was the logic of no sat nav, so waiting until the car complained about charging. If I was driving a decent distance I would have the sat nav on even if not actively using for the route.

I wonder what % of journeys one of these would be good for real world, 99%, 99.9% even?

Soldato
Fair enough. I couldn't justify it at that mileage personally, not when you could run something properly fun for less money. If you're not a car nerd though I totally get it, I am super on board the Tesla train - just waiting for the right time to get onboard.

I hope that the Model S refresh/Plaid/whatever it is brings in some styling though. I think it is a shame that the Performance models still look very plain, and despite demolishing everything else in their class they look very boring next to their competitors.

Yeah, fair enough. The FYA knocks £7.5k off the OTR so that's a biggy for me.

50,000 miles @ 5p/kW is ~£650 vs £6,994 for diesel (132ppl, 43mpg), so ~£6,300 difference. Can't claim that I'll average 5p yet as that's solely the overnight rate, but assuming it'll be mostly that due to our mileage/usage, with some free charging at OH's work and some public 25p chargers, I don't think it'll be much over. Plus cost of diesel will increase. Even double @ 10p is £5,690 difference. Appreciate this is all maths and not real world, but excited to see how close I can get.

£39940 - £7588 - £5690 = £26,662. Some BIK on top, £257.94 in first 3 years then unknown, but let's say not more than £1k in 5 years.

Plus all insurance, accessories, repairs, maintenance etc can go through the business too.

Back
Top Bottom