• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Upgrade from 1060 3GB

Associate
Hi Guys,

I've been looking at upgrading my GPU from a 1060 3GB to something a bit more beefy. I'm looking to play recent games (RDR2, Cyberpunk when its released) on high - ultra settings if possible but unsure on what the best VFM card will be.

I'd prefer to keep with Nvidia if possible as I've had a few AMD/ATI cards in the past but drivers have always let me down. I'd say a budget of around £400 - £500 is the max I'd spend. The 2070 Super has caught my eye but just seeing if theres better options around or if waiting for the next gen to come out will be more beneficial.

Current Specs:
I5-9600k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
1060 3GB

Any advice is appreciated.

Associate
In your shoes, even though tempting I would hold off until the new gpus are released. The current Nvidia gen is out since Autumn 2018 and hopefully there would be the new 30X0RTX or GTX series coming out by summer and amd pushing the big navi in 2020 which possibly will get answered instantly by Nvidia with a price cut or a 30x0 product. Problem is we don't have any concrete details and you might need to wait a lot. At least Cyberpunk has been delayed by September so you will need to hold off for that game.

If you cannot wait the 2070 super is a card for that price I guess. Its frustrating to recomend a card bracket that used to be 240ish(970gtx) for double but not much we can do as consumers I guess. I would concider the AMD 3700xt but as you said the drivers can be funky.

Associate
If it was me I would wait for the next gen of cards the wait will not be too long and you should be able to play RDR2 on medium or high settings for now and Cyberpunk will not release until September and the Nvidia 3000 cards will release near the end of this year

I have the 1060 6gb myself and I am going to wait until the Nvidia 4000 cards release before I upgrade

Soldato
Go for the 2070 Super with full confidence. The GPUs coming out this year will all be >£500 easily. It's gonna be more than a year before a 2070 Super replacement arrives. Either the £435 Kfa2 or the £450 MSI with an extra year of warranty, you can't go wrong.

Soldato
I expect the new gpu range especially from Nvidia to be extremely pricey. They'll be faster but you'll just end up paying more. It's the trend. Soon even a basic gaming gpu will be £500 to start with. If your current card isn't coping get a better one now.

Associate
I expect the new gpu range especially from Nvidia to be extremely pricey. They'll be faster but you'll just end up paying more. It's the trend. Soon even a basic gaming gpu will be £500 to start with. If your current card isn't coping get a better one now.
New consoles are coming out this year though and supposedly they will be good, not saying that they will do proper 8k gaming but if they manage 4k 30fps and hopefully more since xbox one x does that or more then a lot of pc gamers will jump ship especially if Nvidia keeps upping the prices.

970 bracket was £240 then £340 then £400 and now even more it is ridiculous. I cannot justify spending 2080 or 2080ti prices, even £400 feels bad, considering that amount gets you a console and have money to spare. 20X0 generation to me didn't feel like an upgrade compared to the 10x0 gen. They gave us some more power yes but for a lot more money instead of more power for the same money as it used to be.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think what I'll do is wait for the new Nvidia cards to at the very least be officially announced. See what specs we're looking at and see whether the massive price tag that I would expect Nvidia to put on them is worth it.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom