• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Interesting.

The EVGA KO in this review is one of the first RTX 2060 (non-Super) cards to be based on a larger "TU104" silicon, while the PCB design of this card is identical to that of EVGA's GTX 1660 Ti Ultra graphics cards. See what we mean? NVIDIA created an RTX 2060 out of a TU104 for EVGA, by enabling 30 out of 48 streaming multiprocessors. Most RTX 2060 cards are TU106 based (30 out of 36 SMs being enabled). The RTX 2060 KO from EVGA has the exact same specs as the RTX 2060, and you neither miss out on, nor gain any features from the card being TU104-based.

Man, Nvidia's margins must be bonkers.

Associate
Soldato
Thanks fella, I'm sticking at 1080 for the time being as I'm happy with my current G Sync monitor, however its more to play the latest titles with good frame rates. Been debating picking up Red Dead Redemption 2 for a while now, I hear thats a pretty demanding title on PC......

Runs fine on a 1080 @ 1440p. Use the Digital Foundry settings. Looks and runs great.

Soldato
The 3070 needs to be practically on par with the 2080Ti, if the 3080 = a 2080Ti then this is going to be yet another disappointing generation. Which would be a big mistake with new consoles around the corner.

I think thats just not going to happen.

A 3070 will probably be as powerful as a 2080S or a little more.
3080 will probably be a bit better than a 2080ti.
3080ti will probably be a lot better than a 2080ti.

Thats me being optimistic.
I hope they increase the VRAM this generation as I'm genuinely scared with the new consoles that the higher end cards might become VRAM gimped in more complex games as texture sizes are bound to increase. Releasing another set of 8GB VRAM cards at the 2080 price is going to be a bit of a joke.

I don't think you're wrong at all though. If Nvidia were to go all out and release 2080ti performance at the price of a 3070, they will set themselves up for dominance in the GPU market for the next 2 years and they will probably long term co-erce a lot of people who wouldn't consider Nvidia GPU PC gaming into PC gaming due to their marketting stategy with LG OLEDs & Gsync. AMD users will probably switch too as its just too much of a good deal to not take up and now Nvidia are semi-open to fresync compatible displays, its one less pro in AMDs locker.

It would be almost a no brainer for LG OLED buyers to grab a 3070 and enjoy top of the line gaming with Gsync and all of Nvidia's recent software optimisations (Sharpening, reshade, DLSS, integer scaling).

The reasoning for my pessimism is Nvidia illustrated last generation that without AMD giving them a tiny kick up the backside, they're content with marginal upgrades and AMD are once again no where to be seen and will arrive with performance to compete at around 90% of the price tag about 6-12 months late as usual.

I do hope Nvidia see the bigger picture and price and release realistically.

The day Nvidia will get a kick up the ass is the day the Xbox one decided to just run windows and allows users to use steam for their games. Then we'll run into squeaky bum time for Nvidia.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think thats just not going to happen.

A 3070 will probably be as powerful as a 2080S or a little more.
3080 will probably be a bit better than a 2080ti.
3080ti will probably be a lot better than a 2080ti.

Thats me being optimistic.
I hope they increase the VRAM this generation as I'm genuinely scared with the new consoles that the higher end cards might become VRAM gimped in more complex games as texture sizes are bound to increase. Releasing another set of 8GB VRAM cards at the 2080 price is going to be a bit of a joke.

I don't think you're wrong at all though. If Nvidia were to go all out and release 2080ti performance at the price of a 3070, they will set themselves up for dominance in the GPU market for the next 2 years and they will probably long term co-erce a lot of people who wouldn't consider Nvidia GPU PC gaming into PC gaming due to their marketting stategy with LG OLEDs & Gsync. AMD users will probably switch too as its just too much of a good deal to not take up and now Nvidia are semi-open to fresync compatible displays, its one less pro in AMDs locker.

It would be almost a no brainer for LG OLED buyers to grab a 3070 and enjoy top of the line gaming with Gsync and all of Nvidia's recent software optimisations (Sharpening, reshade, DLSS, integer scaling).

The reasoning for my pessimism is Nvidia illustrated last generation that without AMD giving them a tiny kick up the backside, they're content with marginal upgrades and AMD are once again no where to be seen and will arrive with performance to compete at around 90% of the price tag about 6-12 months late as usual.

I do hope Nvidia see the bigger picture and price and release realistically.

The day Nvidia will get a kick up the ass is the day the Xbox one decided to just run windows and allows users to use steam for their games. Then we'll run into squeaky bum time for Nvidia.
I would be surprised if that turned out to be true. Would be an utter failure if it was. They are not only brining a new architecture but also making a huge jump to 7nm+ so performance will be better than that imo.

Soldato
Even if there was huge gains on 7nm+ nothing stopping nvidia selling a smaller '3080' chip as a 3080Ti and charging those prices then releasing the full deal later :p

Didn't something similar happen with the 680 (or was it 780)?

Back
Top Bottom