Heaviest mouse on the market?

Soldato
Unlike a lot of people, it seems, I like a heavy mouse. I used to have a M.A.D Catz RAT 7 mouse that you could configure to be any shape and size you want, and I used to love that mouse. I now have a Logitech G502 with all of the weights installed, but it isn't anything like the old mouse. I would have kept that mouse, but it broke which was a real shame and now they don't seem to be sold anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a new mouse at all? Cheaper is better, but I'm prepared to spend if it means I get an excellent mouse out of the deal.

Soldato
OP
Like you, I also prefer the heavier mouse. I gave up years ago because I couldn't find any ambidextrous shapped heavy mice :(

That is a shame. I'll continue to dream :). Fortunately, I can go with a normal right-handed mouse but I do miss the heavier weights you used to be able to get.

Soldato
ROG Spatha is meant to be a hefty beast?

It also uses a laser instead of an optical sensor, which is a no-no in my book.

Laser mice pretty much always have some sort of built in prediction, while weight is important having the right sensor and shape is usually the key to a good mouse.

@OP: You could always look into getting some custom weights made for your g502? Maybe a denser/heavier material, there might even be something like that out there already.

Soldato
OP
@OP: You could always look into getting some custom weights made for your g502? Maybe a denser/heavier material, there might even be something like that out there already.

If there isn't that is a ready-made business right there. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm trying to remember. Was the RAT 7 a laser mouse? If it was I wouldn't mind going for the ROG Spatha if it really is a heavy mouse. I'm just a bit nervous as I've heard so many people say laser mice were terrible I have no idea if I would like it or not. I guess I could always send it back if it sucked but that is a PITA.

Soldato
It seems like the RAT 7 is a laser sensor, which again I wouldn't personally recommend, but if you were happy with it.

What about the RAT 8+? It seems very similar to the RAT 7 but comes with an optical sensor, and is very nearly as heavy at 145g (not counting the cable), compared to the 158 or so of the RAT 7. Although a fully loaded G502 is supposed to be in excess of 160g. Did you buy the Lightspeed or the Hero version?

Review for you:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/mad-catz-rat-8/7.html

The author actually lists as a negative that it's one of the heaviest mice he's ever used, but that's a plus for you! lol

Soldato
OP
It seems like the RAT 7 is a laser sensor, which again I wouldn't personally recommend, but if you were happy with it.

What about the RAT 8+? It seems very similar to the RAT 7 but comes with an optical sensor, and is very nearly as heavy at 145g (not counting the cable), compared to the 158 or so of the RAT 7. Although a fully loaded G502 is supposed to be in excess of 160g. Did you buy the Lightspeed or the Hero version?

Review for you:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/mad-catz-rat-8/7.html

The author actually lists as a negative that it's one of the heaviest mice he's ever used, but that's a plus for you! lol

Hmm, I didn't even know that existed. My hand is hovering over the buy button from OCUK right now. I'm going to have to think about this.

As for the G502 I have the Proteus Spectrum.

Soldato
Could add your own weights, crack it open, if there's space under the shell you could glue in some fishing weights or wheel balancing weights or similar?

Soldato
Have you looked at Rocket jump ninja? He reviews an endless stream of mice and lists their width, height, length and weight. Be a good starting point.

Associate
I've had the Logitech G5 (Blue) for 10 years+ and I use my left hand!

Needed to replace it with a similar top quality mouse and ended up with G903, after sending two other options back to the rainforest, nice returns policy they have.

Now enjoying Modern Warfare on XB1 with mouse & keyboard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom