Solved: High pitch whining noise

Soldato
So my cart is a Volvo S60 1.6 turbo charged petrol.

It has this really weird intermittent high pitch whining noise, to describe the noise, its a bit like a dentist's drill, really high pitch noise.

This noise was completely in pitch with teh RPM of the engine, ranging from about 1.5k rpm up to about 4k rpm, makes the noise in gear or not, which rules out the transmission, and if the car was moving or not, ruling out any wheels or brakes etc. Again, the pitch was completly in line with the RPM, getting a higher frequency the higher the RPM.

So my mind is racking itself, what teh hell could that be?

Turbo hose? Possible? Although didnt sound like an air leak?

Bearing going? As this is in time with the engine RPM that could be something really nasty. I had basically resigned to hoping that it would either go away, or not cuase any major damage.

This morning driving to work the high pitched squeel was there, and as I was driving along in my own little world thinking about it, I wondered why I couldnt hear the sound past about 4k rpm, and thought, its probably because the frequency goes above my audible hearing range. My hearing isnt amazing and it reminded me of an app my son has on his phone where you could graually increase the frequency of a sound until you couldnt hear it anymore, the others in my family could hear it way past the point that I could.

And then it clicked, like a lightbulb.

Turned the volume up on my radio, and sure enough, the sound got louder.

Turns out, I have a bluetooth audio receiver plugged into the aux input of my car radio, which runs on a usb from the ciggerette lighter, its usually on even when I am not actively using it. So, somehow, this bluetooth device must be picking up some interferance from wahtever part of the engine is spinning and feeding back through the radio.

There we go!

Associate
I bought a cheap radio before christmas for the bluetooth connectivity, did exactly the same and I wondered what was suddenly making the noise.

Luckily for me, the first thing I did was turn the radio off so I could hear it better, and it went away.

Sent it back and bought a branded radio and it no longer makes a noise.

Soldato
Turns out, I have a bluetooth audio receiver plugged into the aux input of my car radio, which runs on a usb from the ciggerette lighter, its usually on even when I am not actively using it. So, somehow, this bluetooth device must be picking up some interferance from wahtever part of the engine is spinning and feeding back through the radio.
did you find out if it is the cigarette usb widget or the bluetooth adapter itself ?

Associate
Had similar issue in the past and the culprit was one of those cheap 12v to USB converter, to install dashcam.
Also had problems using cheap cigarette lighter USB adapter.

Back
Top Bottom