• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You're asking me where AMD's Ray Tracing solution is, AMD don't have a Ray Tracing Solution, they just run it where the Game Developer chooses to use it in their game, AMD didn't invent it, in the same way that Nvidia didn't invent it, Nvidia took an existing technology, created a never before needed and unnecessary piece of hardware to run RT when its turned upto 9000, partnered with a few game developers and turned RT to 9000, branded it RTX and sold it as a feature needing over sized and over priced GPU's.

Could AMD do the same? yes, should they? i'll leave you to decide that.

So, basically you jumped into the conversation just to bash Nvidia.

Even @LoadsaMoney got the point I was making, even though I misunderstood him initially.

I'll just leave Martini's post here, it seems as good as reply as any.

Where are these games that utilise ray tracing that can be run on AMD?

Caporegime
Where are these games that utilise ray tracing that can be run on AMD?

They are quite common, any game that uses Real Time Reflections for example, that's most driving games where the paint reflects the scenery, the Grid games, the Dirt Games, Forza and so on....

The other form of Ray Tracing is Voxel-Based Global Illumination, the earliest game that i'm aware of using that was Dirt Showdown.

Soldato
Games at the moment use either Microsoft DXR or Vulkan RT. So how are you going to make games that use AMD's RT solution only?

Not sure where you are going with the performance, I didn't mention anything about performance. I hope AMD's solution is faster. And there is talk of Ray Tracing coming to consoles but again, what's that got to do with AMD locking out their RT solution?

It's probably best you don't say anymore about it. It was a ridiculous idea.

AMD is generally all about that open source.

tgey won't be using some custom api, it will be DX DXR just everything else because it's open source and free

Soldato
Let's face it AMD will be playing catch-up for a while yet even if they are pumping a lot of extra money in right now. Probably 7000 series by then. I'm looking forward to more competition and saner prices. A 2080Ti+ performance AMD card would be great but I'd expect it to be more than I'd be prepared to pay.

Permabanned
56 compute units would be roughly enough to equal the performance of RTX 2080 Ti that was released in September 2018.

RX-5700-XT-Performance.png

Soldato
80 RDNA2 CU would be a monster.

still not enough if ampere comes in as nvidia promised 50% faster than 2080ti. I would wager that AMD will close the gap this time round
to possibly within 10-15% but I doubt it would be faster than Ampere or as efficient. I really hope I am wrong and AMD pull a Ryzen on Nvidia as they did on Intel.

Permabanned
still not enough if ampere comes in as nvidia promised 50% faster than 2080ti. I would wager that AMD will close the gap this time round
to possibly within 10-15% but I doubt it would be faster than Ampere or as efficient. I really hope I am wrong and AMD pull a Ryzen on Nvidia as they did on Intel.

I expect a RTX 3080 to be no more than 10-20% faster than RTX 2080 Ti, while RTX 3080 Ti not released until many months later.

Caporegime
3080 will be no less than 25% better than a 2080Ti imo. Will have more tha double RT grunt too I predict.

yup I reckon they'll be going all-in with RT on this round, not so much on traditional rastering. It'd be nice if the RT cores could be more flexible though too as AMD touted, that they could do either for pure fps when needed :)

Soldato
Oh man, I wanna be so hyped for a big navi card too, but after seeing AMD trip over themselves in launching even a low-mid range card (5600 XT), it's hard to have much faith.

One great thing about it is that it could turn out to be a repeat of GCN due to consoles. An easy buy & enjoy for the rest of the console generation as it ages better than a Turing/Ampere.

Then again, maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom