Solskjær... on borrowed time + board/ownership issues

Caporegime
Laughable isn't it? Really makes me wonder if he's a yes man or if he truly believes that. We had two decent spells in the Liverpool game, the first 10 to 15 minutes and the last 15 to 20 minutes.

When I say decent, I mean not struggling to get out of our own half and actually looked to press forward. Not creating clear cut chances as I can only remember two, the one Martial blasted over and where James couldn't quite latch on to AWB's ball across the box.

Outside of those time periods, we could have conceded 4 or 5 goals and were saved by an incorrect VAR decision, the woodwork and Mane's poor 1st touch that allowed Shaw to hook the ball away.

You make it sound like we should compete? Man Utd are at the bottom of their rebuild curve having cleared out much last summer. Liverpool are arguably at their peak and 3-4 years further down the line than United. I think the fact we held them to a draw at Old Trafford is a miracle in itself.

Soldato
You make it sound like we should compete? Man Utd are at the bottom of their rebuild curve having cleared out much last summer. Liverpool are arguably at their peak and 3-4 years further down the line than United. I think the fact we held them to a draw at Old Trafford is a miracle in itself.

Your rebuild isn't a curve, it's flatlining because there is no strategy. I have to say, I think this is something that's improved under OGS with the buys of James, AWB and Maguire and the use of Rashford, Greenwood, McTominay etc. He's got a clear strategy, wants to play high energy forward thinking football with young players, and is trying to acquire the players for it. Even if he's not going to take you back into the top 4 as he's not there tactically, I think he should be given a couple of years and be replaced by somebody similar but better eg Poch. You'll be left with a better and more cohesive squad for someone else to build on if you do that than if you get rid now and another manager comes in and goes back to teh drawing board.

Soldato

Where in my post do I specify or suggest we should be competing with Liverpool? Teams like Man City and Leicester who have a philosophy on how they play aren't anywhere near Liverpool so I don't believe we can compete. My post was purely in response to Solskjær's comments that the game was close. It wasn't, the scoreline flattered us and Liverpool could have been out of sight before half time if they were clinical.

Permabanned
There's been no coherent strategy for 6 years, there is now a strategy under OGS which is at least sensible and cohesive.

Youth? That was a tradition set before Ole where we always have an academy prospect in the team. Ole has basically muh speedy counter attack as plan A, B and C. His main problem is he can not motivate his players that is a sacking offence alone nevermind his lose record.

It is the owners mainly though how can you do what they did and the way they took us over and levy United with a billion quid of debt and not expect this? Considering they took out a billion and United still can field Pogba Rashford De Gea is still impressive. But thier all pretty clueless. Here is another point to note we probably need another CB now. You see when we got Lindelof we thought he was a bit softy and so we went for Maguire. But Maguire is seemingly not that player from what i seen Harry looks like a Lindelof type who needs an agressive bully partner. That is what this whole defence and team needs a bully.

Man of Honour
MU traditionally had youth but really if you look at it it's tended to be down the manager. By that I mean you've got OGS promoting youth. Before that it was Mourinho not promoting youth. Before that it was Van Gaal who blooded a couple of youngsters. Moyes, OK so he gave Janujaz a go but don't think he made much use of Lingard etc, preferring to bring in Fellaini. Before that, Alex Ferguson. So leaving the Fergie dynasty out of the equation it's basically flip-flopped between managers promoting prospects and managers who don't.

Edit: one thing people may not realise about Moyes is, he has the third highest win % of any MU manager in history, behind only SAF and Mourinho (the likes of Busby, Van Gaal and Atkinson left trailing in his wake).

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Edit: one thing people may not realise about Moyes is, he has the third highest win % of any MU manager in history, behind only SAF and Mourinho (the likes of Busby, Van Gaal and Atkinson left trailing in his wake).

He was there for 10 months and inherited the title winning side from the previous season. There were many reason he got sacked and his points total was just a part of that.

Ole has done a great job in a few areas, its just a shame that none of them are anything but a minor part of being a top class manager. He is tactically poor, struggles to coach and improve players and doesn't seem to be able to inspire his players.

Caporegime
He was there for 10 months and inherited the title winning side from the previous season. There were many reason he got sacked and his points total was just a part of that.

Ole has done a great job in a few areas, its just a shame that none of them are anything but a minor part of being a top class manager. He is tactically poor, struggles to coach and improve players and doesn't seem to be able to inspire his players.

Fred, Rashford and McTominay have all drastically improved under Ole. People seem to forget just how poor Fred and Rashford were. He has also tactically had flashes of brilliance. It's just those weird wtf moments like Watford away, Newcastle away and Burnley at home get you scratching your head but the thing in common with those games is that we have our best players heavily injured.

Soldato
Fred, Rashford and McTominay have all drastically improved under Ole. People seem to forget just how poor Fred and Rashford were. He has also tactically had flashes of brilliance. It's just those weird wtf moments like Watford away, Newcastle away and Burnley at home get you scratching your head but the thing in common with those games is that we have our best players heavily injured.
Fred just needed games really to settle in in my opinion mctominay got Jose player award so and Rashford had promise from the start again playing more helps the players havent improved really at all in some cases they have got worse

Soldato
McT has improved drastically under Solskjaer in every area, if you look at the numbers this season it's pretty incredible.
I wasn't saying he hasn't improved but I don't think it's down to solskjaer playing plenty of games has helped him release his potential give him a proven coach like klopp or pep and he'd probably be even better I really don't rate Ollie at all

Caporegime
Poch most definitely isn’t a sidestep and achieved a lot with limited funds.

You took a manager from Molde and who relegated Cardiff, a significant step down from Mourinho, LVG and potentially Moyes

Caporegime
Yep things went stale (happens everywhere bar a few exceptions for even the best managers) on a thin squad and Mourinho doesn’t look so hot now the new manager bounce is over, they need a lot of change

Don
Levy's determination to get the best price for every player backfired. By all accounts there were numerous players that either Poch wanted to sell or they wanted to leave but Spurs priced them out of the market. Not only weren't they then able to reinvest whatever money they could raise on players Poch wanted, they have or will end up losing most of the ones that wanted out for less than they could have got previously.

Re Poch/Ole. It's so disrespectful to say it would be a sideways step. Utd could appoint just about any manager in the PL and it would be an upgrade on Ole. Poch has and will continue to be linked with just about every top side in Europe, where as Norwich could sack their manager tomorrow and they wouldn't even consider Solskjaer for the job should he be available.

Back
Top Bottom