• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help picking GPU and understanding all the options!

Associate
Going crazy trying to pick a GPU for my build. It will be paired with the following and mainly for general use and video editing. Will need to be bale to connect 2 monitors and the quieter the card the better.

Ryzen 7 2700
Tomahawk Max
16GB 3200MHz
500GB NVMe

Budget was around £130 for a GPU, but might up it to £150ish. I'm not a gamer so it won't be used for that, might dabble with gaming, but the main use is for Video Editing (non professional)

Read Nvidia is better for Video Editing and those cards run cooler. AMD seem to run hotter and louder and possibly have issues with drivers??

Seems to be more choice round the lower price point for AMD with the RX570,580 and 590 cards. Nvidia have the GTX1050 and 1650 round the £140 mark.

I'm just lost with all the different choices and different models. I was starting to lean towards the Nvidia with the reviews regarding video editing and cards running cooler. No idea whether to go for a GTX1050/1650 with 4GB or am I better looking at a RX570/580 with 8GB for the same price. Or do I need to go up to around £160+ and look at the SUPER cards??

As I'm not gaming, I don't want to spend a fortune on a GPU, it can always be upgraded in a couple of years.

Thanks

Soldato
The 1650 Super is almost certainly the way to go here, unless you fancy trawling the second hand market for a 2060 or Vega 64. They will likely cost closer to £200 if you can find one though.

Associate
OP
The 1650 Super is almost certainly the way to go here, unless you fancy trawling the second hand market for a 2060 or Vega 64. They will likely cost closer to £200 if you can find one though.

Is there a great deal of difference between the 1650 and 1650 super when the main use will be for video editing?

Seems to be a few different manufacturers for the 1650 such as Palit, MSI, Zotac. Is any better than the other?

Also is it ok picking up a 2nd GPU ok? Would be a bit worried that it had been OC and hammered - or would that not matter?

Thanks

Soldato
A 1650 super is about 20% faster than the 1650 for a 25% higher price tag. So you're not overpaying for the extra performance like would at higher tiers.

You may not even need the extra power as video editing is mostly CPU intensive. You obviously know that already because you chose an 8 core CPU. However, some video editors such as DaVinci Resolve do make very heavy use of GPU based parallel compute and will prioritise it over the CPU.

Soldato
1650 will be fine for video editing. The only thing you'd want more of is vram, but the price jump on the nvidia gpus for >4gb is steep. but even for 4k it's gonna be fine really.

Back
Top Bottom