Which brand new car would you choose for up to 25k

Soldato
Personally I wouldn't be spending 25k on a run of the mill brand new car. Everybody will have different priorities and value manufacturers warranty, rarity, performance etc differently. Rates of deprecation will also vary hugely. If i had to buy new the S90 or GTI would be up there. For newish cars best looking at 1 year old from dealer network.

Soldato
I’ve had an S2000 and DC5 Integra. They’re the type of car that work out really well as a used purchase.

I've owned my DC2 since 2007, but part of me wishes I had either the S2000 or DC5 also.

If ever i'm in a position and have lots and lots of spare cash, would have a big garage and add those 2 cars above to a collection.

Associate
Would that volvo depreciate much after that level of discounting?

Most cars depreciate 50% or more within the first 3 years unless they are rare or well sought after.

So yeah he would be better off buying a 3 year old car that was £50K new. However some people like brand new cars. It's all about the regy plate.
Or avoiding the repair costs and maintenance of a 50k plus car, because even when 10 years old, the parts will be of a 50k plus car.
Lesson is: don't buy second hand something you can't afford new. Buy it second hand to save on depreciation, but keep in mind the costs.

Soldato
I had a GLA 200d as a courtesy car and once you take in to account what it's like to drive, how (un)confortable it is, and how poor the interior is given its price tag, I'd say it's just about the the worst car I've ever driven.
Damn that's annoying - I really like the idea of a 'normal car' with more ground clearance (hence the Baja). Never been in one myself, but there are loads of these about - so I assumed there was something to them. I guess people aren't looking beyond the badge when buying.

Associate
I had a GLA 200d as a courtesy car and once you take in to account what it's like to drive, how (un)confortable it is, and how poor the interior is given its price tag, I'd say it's just about the the worst car I've ever driven.
Drove one when the missus A-Class was in for some major work. The only 2 cars I would avoid from Mercedes: GLA, as doesn't provide higher driving position, as myself, and many assume would be the focus and yes, harsh suspension. Mpg was pretty bad. And the B-Class. Hate them. Sloppy handling, poor mpg. New GLA seems to be pretty decent. Waiting to check it.
My 19 A-Class is much, much nicer than my partner's 65 A-Class, despite hers being Premium Plus. But mine isn't anywhere as sharp to drive as my previous 15 Leon SC 1.8TSI, or the, often underated, Mazda 3.

Soldato
This is the one I want. Wish they'd put it into production (not that I could ever afford it).

17c534_024.jpg

Soldato
25k on a run of the mill brand new car.

There are certainly nice motors you can buy new for £25k but the depressing truth is that £25k these days doesn't really get you anything particularly exciting!

I mean, yes, you could but a mildly quick Golf/Focus or maybe an mx5/GT86 for something a bit sporty but slower but honestly cars don't really get every exciting or interesting at new prices for me unless you're venturing into the £30k+ bracket.

Soldato
Even a new (and factory built) Caterham starts at about 28k now. A bath tub and an engine :eek:

You can't get really quick and cheap anymore. Not if you buy new.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bloody fanboys :p

(2013 CR-V EX for family stuff and a nice low mileage 2001 DC5 in my garage over here ;) )

I doubt you'll find an ex DC2 owner who doesn't hold a special place in their heart for it.

If I won the lottery, it'd be the first car I'd search for in my stable of cars!

Soldato
Im about to buy a classic Elise, before prices go even crazier :D

Keep it for 10 years and it will probably double in value (again).

Man of Honour
I'd never buy a brand new car, waste of money. Get something a couple of years old.

We bought a brand new car because with the discounts available it cost about the same as a 12 month old used one with the advantage of being the spec we wanted. Meanwhile with my other car I bought it at 12 months old at 50% of the list price of a new one.

It's almost like each individual situation can be different.

Back
Top Bottom