Upgrade Or Start From Scratch

Associate
So I got the annoying windows message pop up that kindly tells me Win7 is no longer being supported. I thought my PC was only 4 years old, I got quite a shock when I clicked my own signature link and discovered it was 8 years ago now.

I’ll be honest, I have no idea on best CPUs or anything now, I’ve lost all touch, I built my PC I’ve loved using it and the question is do I need to virtually rip the insides out and start again or can a few bits be used?

Corsair Obsidian 800D Case
Corsair HX620 PSU
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen3
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz
ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU
Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler

I don’t play a lot of games, when I do I’m more turn based tactical games, I hate first person shooter type games. I have a few 1TB and 2TB hard drives that have had minimal use knocking around, they’re about 5 years old, I’d like a solid state boot drive.

I use Excel and Word via Office 10, keyboard, mouse, monitor is all fine, budget £500 pushing to £700 if it’s a huge difference, advice appreciated

Associate
If it does what you want and you don't find it lacking, but a 480GB drive I would say either there Teamgroup Vulcan or WD Blue for either £50 or £53 (not the M2 version as your MB probably doesn't support it).

Then get a Windows 10 key for £10 - £20 and you are set.

If you want to upgrade that is a different story and will need a complete overhaul except for potentially your HDD's and case.

But, it could be done for that budget. If you prefer this option, we can certainly make recommendations so let us know

Associate
OP
If it does what you want and you don't find it lacking, but a 480GB drive I would say either there Teamgroup Vulcan or WD Blue for either £50 or £53 (not the M2 version as your MB probably doesn't support it).

Then get a Windows 10 key for £10 - £20 and you are set.

If you want to upgrade that is a different story and will need a complete overhaul except for potentially your HDD's and case.

But, it could be done for that budget. If you prefer this option, we can certainly make recommendations so let us know
It does what I want but slowly, I think it was a couple of years back now, I had a free upgrade from 7 to 10 but after spending an entire day trying to get things to work as I wanted I used the switch back function.

I think I’m probably trying to talk myself into an upgrade using my case, possibly PSU?

Soldato
This is what I'd do; (Assuming you built the PC listed in the OP yourself) PC Building hasn't changed that much, If you get stuck ask here or go on Youtube for build videos.
Keep the Case, PSU, Graphics card & hard drives as you can upgrade those later.
Buy this lot:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £515.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
OP
This is what I'd do; (Assuming you built the PC listed in the OP yourself) PC Building hasn't changed that much, If you get stuck ask here or go on Youtube for build videos.
Keep the Case, PSU, Graphics card & hard drives as you can upgrade those later.
Buy this lot:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £515.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)
Thank you, I assume the TeamGroup drive for booting Windows and the Samsung for programmes

Back
Top Bottom