Looking to upgrade current set-up advice please.

Associate
Heya, I bought a custom PC from OCUK a couple years ago... starting to sound like a helicopter and all temps are slowly going past 70 degrees Celsius.

This is why I'm looking to upgrade... my current specs are:

Asus Strix X99 Gaming Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Intel i7-6800K 3.40GHz (Broadwell-E) Socket LGA2011-V3 Processor - Retail
Team Group Elite 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit - Black (TPKD416GM2400HC16Q
Alpenfohn Matterhorn White CPU Cooler - 120mm
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-FQC-08929)
NZXT Hue+ RGB Dual Channel LED Controller - Black
In-Win 805 Aluminium Midi-Tower Case - Black
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/EU)
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST1000DM010)
BenQ Zowie RL2455 e-Sports 24" 1920x1080 TN Widescreen LED Monitor - Black
ASUS Monitor 28"
Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance Gaming Sound Card - OEM (30SB150200000)
Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless PCI-E Network Adapter
Super Flower Leadex II 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - White
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050Ti SC Gaming 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

I also changed out the ram from this to
2x G.Skill 8GB Trident RAM.. .

I would have added the ram sticks but literally impossible to how the tower has been built the be quiet fan is enormous and there's wires been left bloody everywhere so its a right pain. (possibly the case i chose was a very bad choice.

Was thinking to re-house this PC Build in a be quiet Dark Base pro 900full tower - orange.

Simply to allow more space and everything to work as it should?
(I use my PC to edit multiple things the same time, and also to Game/stream)

Let me know if i'm thinking completely wrong.

Also - Does PCWORLD rehouse PC's? I honestly cant be fussed wasting my time and would rather pay someone to do what they do well including cable management.

Associate
Not sure where your Bequiet fan is...you show an Alpenfohn cooler above.

However, if it does what you need, maybe start by cleaning out the case and fans of dust.

Then remove the CPU cooler and reapply thermal paste. That should solve any temperature issues. Perhaps a couple of case fans?

You should probably upgrade your GPU and if your PC is struggling to do what you want, we can then suggest a new system based around AMD Ryzen.

Associate
OP
Not sure where your Bequiet fan is...you show an Alpenfohn cooler above.

However, if it does what you need, maybe start by cleaning out the case and fans of dust.

Then remove the CPU cooler and reapply thermal paste. That should solve any temperature issues. Perhaps a couple of case fans?

You should probably upgrade your GPU and if your PC is struggling to do what you want, we can then suggest a new system based around AMD Ryzen.

sorry I think something was wrong on the paste

Case In-Win 805 Aluminium Midi-Tower Case - Black
Mechanical Hard Drive 1 Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (ST2000DM006)
Mechanical Hard Drive 2 Not wanted
Optical Drive **Please Check Chassis Support** Not wanted
Case Lighting NZXT Hue+ RGB Dual Channel LED Controller - Black
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-FQC-08929)
Build Time Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
Motherboard MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1700 3.70GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler
Memory Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD48G2400
Keyboard Not wanted
Mouse Not wanted
Speakers Not wanted
Monitor BenQ Zowie RL2455 e-Sports 24" 1920x1080 TN Widescreen LED Monitor - Black
Gaming Chair Not wanted
Soundcard Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance Gaming Sound Card - OEM (30SB150200000)
Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC68 802.11ac Dual-band Wireless AC1900 PCI-E Adaptor
Power Supply Corsair HX1200i 1200W '80 Plus Platinum' Digital Modular Power Supply (CP-9020070-UK)
Security Software Bullguard Anti-Virus 2017 - 1 PC 1 Year **Offer Price**
Headset Not wanted
M.2 Solid State Drive **For Operating System If Selected** Not wanted
Solid State Drive 1 Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/EU)
Solid State Drive 2 Not wanted
Graphics Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Windforce 2x OC 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Graphics Card (Crossfire/SLI) Not wanted

Ram got changed almost immediately and added another monitor and solid state drive and thats the build. Sorry about that.

Associate
Ok. Same theory applies. Dust, clean and reseat with new thermal paste.

Check the thermals.

After that, I would check your BIOS settings. First thing would be any BIOS updates of which there should have been a couple.

Secondly, you do not mention if you ever overclocked it or not. Assuming you had, it is possible to have reset to factory specs in which case, you need to revert back or it is likely overvolting.

In my opinion though, I prefer Ryzen to possibly have only a mild overclock because (certainly gen 1) benefits more from an undervolt than an overclock with added voltage with an exponential rise in temps and power consumption.

Failing any/all of the above bringing temps back to what you used to see, you could consider a new case and extra fans but I would imagine the first steps should address the temps.

Soldato
Is the system still in warranty by any chance? If so, let OcUK know about the helicopter and that you're willing to pay for new case and a few other upgrades. They offer free upgrade service during warranty period but moving to new case isn't exactly that, and they'll probably charge. However, at least they could re-use the parts you wanted them to re-use, as some of them are pretty good.

Alternatively sell the whole thing as is and order a new system. Or find someone local to give it a good clean and to make it more silent if you don't mind paying for the job and/or stick it all into a new case if you want.

Back
Top Bottom