Commissario
What a corker, just got home from the cinema.

It's a Wednesday afternoon and normally if I go to the pictures during the week, it's deserted. It was packed! I've never seen the local cinema so busy.

Man of Honour
This is one of the best films I've seen.
Every 10 minutes I'd turn to Mrs Poole and say "This camera work is amazing".
After the film I watched a 'Making Of' video.

Also two years ago me and the Mrs walked on The Somme and other Battlefields with a great guide, I thought Mendes got it right.

Caporegime
Finally released in Sweden, Just saw it.

Whilst i really enjoyed it and was in Awe of the actual production of the film, I kinda lost it 100% after the Plane crash and the direction it took then.
I started questioning the characters decisions, their reasoning and choices.
That really bugged me during watching it.
The ending was great, pretty much sums the stupidity and futility of it all.

After he died it ruined the dynamic for me, their interaction was so expertly handled, so real, the suspense was palpable. The film lost it a bit for me from there. It started getting a bit "bigger" more "artistic" the whole night scene was borderline silly, the river escape, way too fantastical. It pulled me just out of zone and i questioned stuff.

Still Best film i seen in yonks, a solid 9/10. Look forward to some Oscars for this.

Caporegime
There isn't actually too much fighting. Some 1 on 1s and there's an "over the top" scene, which feels realistic enough, contrary to what I've been told about ww1 trench warfare.

The costumes are good, the general attitude of the actors seems good.

But no way would I describe it as realistic, but it is good at creating the period asthetically.

Soldato
As per my posts above I absolutely loved this movie, but one thing that bothers me every time I see the trailer with the run along the top of the trenches is that nobody appears to be getting shot? They are getting hit by mortars/explosions but there's no gunfire at all. Weird, no? :confused:

Caporegime
As per my posts above I absolutely loved this movie, but one thing that bothers me every time I see the trailer with the run along the top of the trenches is that nobody appears to be getting shot? They are getting hit by mortars/explosions but there's no gunfire at all. Weird, no? :confused:

I think the were getting shot as people were going down who were nowhere near the mortar explosions but I guess we just couldn't hear the gunfire.

Soldato
I think the were getting shot as people were going down who were nowhere near the mortar explosions but I guess we just couldn't hear the gunfire.
Yeah maybe. I just think the chaos of war would be better articulated by hearing a bit of that. It almost seemed like they had cut corners..

Wasn't bad but really over the top at times.
lol

Associate
Watched it over the weekend, was boring and dull and very unrealistic.

Over hyped because its British war film based on WW1.

6.5/10

Disappointed.

Soldato
Watched it over the weekend, was boring and dull and very unrealistic.

Over hyped because its British war film based on WW1.

6.5/10

Disappointed.

That seems a little harsh, although I would certainly agree it was quite unrealistic in places. On reflection it might have been better if I hadn't heard so much about the filming techniques before seeing the movie. Going in cold I might have been more impressed, but having already heard a bunch of hype about how amazing and immersive it was supposed to be I did find some aspects underwhelming. Everyone seems to be raving about it at the moment, but in the fullness of time will it be viewed as a bit of a one trick pony?

Associate
Just watched this tonight and couldn't wait for it to end. What a load of tosh. The plot may have been based on the directors Grandfathers recollections but that's about all it was good for.

The acting was atrocious, the script ridiculous , the plot ludicrous and the reality? Never mind the reality. Or the blatant tokenism.

Feel embarrassed that I got sucked in to watching it TBH

Soldato
Just watched this tonight and couldn't wait for it to end. What a load of tosh. The plot may have been based on the directors Grandfathers recollections but that's about all it was good for.

The acting was atrocious, the script ridiculous , the plot ludicrous and the reality? Never mind the reality. Or the blatant tokenism.

Feel embarrassed that I got sucked in to watching it TBH

What tokenism? We might have another Laurence Fox here.

I also think it was overhyped but the cinematography was good and didn’t have a problem with the acting for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom