• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Is it such an outlandish idea that MS would do this to be able to play these PS exclusives?

What's the benefit to MS? They want to sell Game Pass not consoles as they lose money on the hardware.

People playing PC games on the XBox is the opposite of the ideal situation where customers build their own PCs and subscribe for Game Pass.

Associate
What's the benefit to MS? They want to sell Game Pass not consoles as they lose money on the hardware.

People playing PC games on the XBox is the opposite of the ideal situation where customers build their own PCs and subscribe for Game Pass.

Like I said, I still don't think it'll happen. But the benefit would be the Xbox would hypothetically be able to play Xbox , PC and PS4/5 exclusives. It wouldn't be to pull PC players to console, it would be to pull Playstation players to Xbox. It would essentially mean playstation exclusives would only really be timed exclusives.

Again, its ultra doubtful it'll happen. But you can't put it past them haha.

Man of Honour
Like I said, I still don't think it'll happen. But the benefit would be the Xbox would hypothetically be able to play Xbox , PC and PS4/5 exclusives. It wouldn't be to pull PC players to console, it would be to pull Playstation players to Xbox. It would essentially mean playstation exclusives would only really be timed exclusives.

Again, its ultra doubtful it'll happen. But you can't put it past them haha.

That would be bad for them. They would lose money on the console sale and also lose money because the customer can buy games from sources that don't give MS a cut of the sale. I don't see any way that it makes sense for a business to do that.

It's better for the customer to buy a PS5 as they won't lose the money on the hardware.

They would love to get Game Pass on more platforms though.

Soldato
Yup, that's why I said won't see "many" rather than "any" genuinely new ideas. More powerful hardware will open up new possibilities but I believe most devs will use it almost exclusively to make games that look nicer but they'll play identically to what we've seen this generation just with better frame-rates, resolution, viewing distances. It's just good business sense in the short term to make the same game that plays on multiple platforms, they can use the latest consoles for the trailers but people running PS4/XB1 can still part with their cash.

I'm hopeful that in a couple of years we'll see some games that use all of that grunt to actually move gaming in some new directions but the reality is that development for new ideas is harder than retreading existing ones and that areas like AI are much much harder than having better textures.

After 30 years of gaming I'm holding out for some crazy new ideas to freshen up the endless torrent of sequels and remakes. Lately I tend to prefer indie titles where you still get some unique stuff like Baba is You or Return of the Obra Dinn, I've also played quite a few PSVR titles just because the experience is so different (even though the number of AAA titles is pretty small).

While I do agree new ideas will come with great difficulty still, the degree to which some get implemented or developed is tight with the hardware most available to people and to the software that is optimized for it. Simple example, there is a great difference between the original Operation Flashpoint and ArmA 3 or just comparing ArmA 3 with 2.

While games such as CoD or corridor type shooters may not benefit much at least in the beginning, others may take a step forward. It will remain to be seen and for sure will depend on how well the new consoles will sell. Live you've pointed out, indie titles may be getting more interesting. :)

Associate
Yeah I would have assumed they would include a USB-C for high speed external storage.

Depends on what variant of USB is under the connector as that is all USB-C is. Certainly has to be USB 3 or USB 3.1 (5Gbps / 10Gbps)

I would guess its for cost saving reasons as it would probably be more expensive to put a USB-C connection on the unit. Most people have standard USB enclosures anyway however, if they did have a USB-C variant an adapter is all that is needed.

Shawrey

Associate
Can you get external Nvme over USB-A? Just assumed it had to be type C, not sure why. If 3.1 type A is good enough then that's fair.

Was just thinking I would be kinda surprised if there's no option for external storage that's as fast as the internal storage. Unless maybe MS allows easy upgrade of the internal one this time round?

Associate
Can you get external Nvme over USB-A? Just assumed it had to be type C, not sure why. If 3.1 type A is good enough then that's fair.

Was just thinking I would be kinda surprised if there's no option for external storage that's as fast as the internal storage. Unless maybe MS allows easy upgrade of the internal one this time round?

Just use an adapter from USB-A to USB-C as I mentioned above :)

Shawrey

Associate
EOLLK0bXUAEKsDW
EMKSUo1WwAIPeZ6
EOa97N0WAAAXdIM

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd say these a fake unless the person who leaked these is an absolute muppet, the serial number is clear as day :D Won't these be under an ironclad NDA?

Try typing a random serial number in on the warranty page on the Microsoft website. Most likely, you'll get an error code. Then try the SN from this. It'll come up as a "Non-Specific Product".

Either this is some next-level effort by a faker, or it's genuine. I'm leaning toward the latter. The idea that someone has spent hours checking serial numbers, looking for one that shows up as valid and isn't registered to an existing product is simply too far fetched.

Soldato
Try typing a random serial number in on the warranty page on the Microsoft website. Most likely, you'll get an error code. Then try the SN from this. It'll come up as a "Non-Specific Product".

Either this is some next-level effort by a faker, or it's genuine. I'm leaning toward the latter.

You would blur out the serial so it cannot be traced back to you. Why would you risk getting sued or fired from a job?

Back
Top Bottom