D3K

D3K

Soldato
"The Mozilla Corporation has laid of 70 employees"

Of or off? I stopped reading there :p
Professional journalism 10/10

640px-Web-browser-marketshare-2009-2020.jpg

Soldato
I left FireFox open one evening with a local news site with only a couple of banner ads (no flashy background ones) and when I came back to it that tab had jumped from 80mb to 5gb ram usage, nothing straining cpu/gpu/network but I'm finding more and more times FF using more resources for daily browsing than photoshop does for editing regular files. Unless you regularly close tabs it will eat system resources.

Soldato
OP
This is a big shame really.

My prediction is that Mozilla will have to eventually adopt Chromium or Firefox will simply disappear as a product.

But then the question is, if (big if) Mozilla went and used Chromium for Firefox how would they differentiate the browser from all the other chromium based browsers on the market?

Firefox is still the default browser on Linux distros but the Linux market share is so small to be insignificant.

Soldato
OP
Can't they play the you're not being tracked with us card like the IOS religion (lol - their latest uk advertising drive like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_6uV9A12ok)
... and even seek additional crowd funding ?

[ ... genuine firefox question can you currently install an ESR version and block all updates ]

ESR link.

Why would you want to block updates? (Unless your asking a corporate question and you will push out the updates manually) And yes the answer is you can block updates.

Soldato
But then the question is, if (big if) Mozilla went and used Chromium for Firefox how would they differentiate the browser from all the other chromium based browsers on the market?

I honestly do think Mozilla would contribute more if they went all in on chromium. It wouldnt stop them building their own browser with their own feature set. How do they differentiate? The same way Microsoft is with the chromium based Edge :)

Soldato
Why would you want to block updates? (Unless your asking a corporate question and you will push out the updates manually) And yes the answer is you can block updates.

I don't like the uncertainty of potential updates that may invalidate add-ons ... but , finally need to update from FF49 , since some sites now giving outdated browser messages, despite user agent control

edit - the esr's themselves don't have a long lifespan 56 is already gone
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1199816
I'll manage the risk of not having the latest security patch by sensible browsing habits and noscript, in retun for a stable environment.

Last edited:
Soldato
I honestly do think Mozilla would contribute more if they went all in on chromium. It wouldnt stop them building their own browser with their own feature set. How do they differentiate? The same way Microsoft is with the chromium based Edge :)

Be even better if they made a Firefox Chromium version ;) , now that would make things very interesting.

:)

Soldato
OP
The Chromium browser market is too congested for Firefox to profit from making the jump.

What could they possibly offer to increase their market share if they went Chromium?

The importance of Firefox is the fact it is using an open source independent rendering engine which is NOT Chromium based.

Soldato
The Chromium browser market is too congested for Firefox to profit from making the jump.

What could they possibly offer to increase their market share if they went Chromium?

The importance of Firefox is the fact it is using an open source independent rendering engine which is NOT Chromium based.

I can't see Firefox lasting that long if they don't do something, even Microsoft with Edge have realised Chromium is the way forward.

Soldato

And that's just not important enough, imo. Being the other open source engine on the market isn't enough to survive.

Soldato
and - when Chromium further restricts the API interface to allow add blockers to filter content , it will be too late

Soldato
It would be a massive shame if we lost the Gecko engine, it's been performing really well compared to the Blink engine recently. They recently enabled WebRender on Firefox Preview Nightly on Android and I'm seeing a big difference in scrolling smoothness compared to Chrome, even with 90Hz forced on both on my OP7TP.

This is scarier than IE's dominance in the past since MS was slow in keeping it competitive, as Google really is pouring a lot of resources into Blink. With MS now contributing to that, it just accelerates Blink's development.

And it's still very hard to tempt the normal user away, most don't really care about their privacy, and think "Google is the internet" so they usually default to Chrome.

Back
Top Bottom