Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Had retentions call me already they offered me a decent deal, slightly smaller package than i already have for £10 a month cheaper, turned it down though still not sure what i want to do. Whats the odds they call back a second time?

Associate
Currently living with my parents and we are with plusnet internet provider on fibre package (70+mbit), we never had any single problem for many years!

I work for VM and can get you a great deal as I've done for a few on here using my staff rate, I get a small kickback and you will save a lot :) It is for new customers only, if your interested let me know.
Thanks
Dean

I will be moving out to a new house soon and unfortunately, Plusnet fibre broadband is not available in that area. Checked with openreach as well.

I can get fast internet connection from Virgin only, more than 100mbit. How does virgin compare with plusnet in term of connection quality and reliability?

Associate
Looked at an old bill the other day, I was amazed at how much we were paying for broadband only 10 years ago compared to now, about 10 years ago the bill was in the low £20s and today the bill is in the low £40s nearly doubled in price in 10 years

Soldato
Do not expect to be paying the same price I was 10 years ago but the recent bill increase was a surprise and it got me wondering could I be paying £80 a month in 2030

It's all relative, I remember being happy when 512K dropped to £49.99 after launch, now as a solo product that just about buys you 350Mbit or 200Mbit+TV+phone.

Soldato
Anyone had any luck getting a decent New Customer deal?
Looking at M350 with phone line for £37/month (as it works out cheaper than Fibre alone).

Haven't bothered with a TV pack since we ditched our £100/month Sky package, which consisted of 95% CBeebies (HD!) and the Wife watching Grey's Anatomy for the umpteenth time...
After I showed her how to use our Windscribe VPN, she's kept up-to-date on every episode as it airs...

Soldato
Anyone had any luck getting a decent New Customer deal?
Looking at M350 with phone line for £37/month (as it works out cheaper than Fibre alone).

Haven't bothered with a TV pack since we ditched our £100/month Sky package, which consisted of 95% CBeebies (HD!) and the Wife watching Grey's Anatomy for the umpteenth time...
After I showed her how to use our Windscribe VPN, she's kept up-to-date on every episode as it airs...

Use Quidco/TCB and a new customer online offer - this is likely the best you will get unless VM has run over your pet/relative.

Caporegime
Do not expect to be paying the same price I was 10 years ago but the recent bill increase was a surprise and it got me wondering could I be paying £80 a month in 2030

There is a lot of competition in the market so prices are simply supply and demand.

10 years ago all the bandwidth you were using would have been less than 1/10th you use today.

How much did we pay for 56kbps? that was pay as you go iirc until they brought out a flat fee.

In fact what you get from VM broadband only is exceptional value for money. I am planning on cancelling BT sports, sky tv and tv license. that will save me £90 a month in comparison.

i can then use prime and netflix which I already have. i'm hoping more content becomes available via streaming.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently living with my parents and we are with plusnet internet provider on fibre package (70+mbit), we never had any single problem for many years!

I will be moving out to a new house soon and unfortunately, Plusnet fibre broadband is not available in that area. Checked with openreach as well.

I can get fast internet connection from Virgin only, more than 100mbit. How does virgin compare with plusnet in term of connection quality and reliability?

I was with Virgin for quite a long time when living at my parents, back since the telewest days, I'm now with Plusnet in my own house and have been for two years.

I found Virgin Fibre VERY good in practice, the issue came if I had a problem. The Indian call centres are not good, anything over and above a simple problem that goes outside of the script and then they just lie and make false promises of engineers being booked in, then no one turns up and also false promises of refunds that never materialise.

When the call centres were UK based any problems that cropped up got sorted very quickly.

As far as Plusnet, I had a couple of problems with the line when I moved in but they dealt with the problems quickly, they had UK based call centres too, employing people who can actually do the job, which helps!

Virgin is now in my area and is around the same price as Plusnet, although on "deal" and not a standard price, even though Virgin would be much faster than Plusnet (I'm on the 80mb package) I wouldn't want to move to them given shoddy support when things go sideways.

Soldato
Does anyone have an idea what is the planned maintenance outage in Liverpool, scheduled for 6th Feb? The letter is very vague. We were one of the first areas upgraded for 500Mbps, and at that time they increased capacity and installed the new head end / CMTS. Preparations for 1Gbps / DOCSIS 3.1 maybe?

Soldato
The price will increase until gigabit is ubiquitous, then competition will drive the price down as there will be a lot more competition. It won't be long now until Virgin's monopoly on high speed broadband goes away.

Soldato
Does anyone have an idea what is the planned maintenance outage in Liverpool, scheduled for 6th Feb? The letter is very vague. We were one of the first areas upgraded for 500Mbps, and at that time they increased capacity and installed the new head end / CMTS. Preparations for 1Gbps / DOCSIS 3.1 maybe?

Historically changes ran north to south, SANE downwards (Scotland and North East), post merger that changed and Liverpool was the preferred local trial area as the old National Faults Centre was on the doorstep, it’s a tad ironic considering it was one of the last regions to be migrated from analogue. Sadly (for me) a few years after I left, they audited the trialist mailing list and since then I’m out of the loop. At a guess I’d imagine head end upgrades, anything else would only require a firmware push afaik.

Soldato
Historically changes ran north to south, SANE downwards (Scotland and North East), post merger that changed and Liverpool was the preferred local trial area as the old National Faults Centre was on the doorstep, it’s a tad ironic considering it was one of the last regions to be migrated from analogue. Sadly (for me) a few years after I left, they audited the trialist mailing list and since then I’m out of the loop. At a guess I’d imagine head end upgrades, anything else would only require a firmware push afaik.

Very interesting info, thanks. They’re estimating total loss of services from 9am until 4pm so obviously something fairly substantial. I’ll hold my breath for gigabit. :D

Soldato
First issue I've had with Virgin Media tonight, got home and barely getting 10mbps when I should be on 100. Upload is perfect, rebooted the hub numerous times to no avail. Service status claiming no known issues.

Back
Top Bottom