Indestructible brake pads/disk

Permabanned
The Carlton was Injected AFAIR but not 100% sure, 87 XR2 was Twin Choke carb and my 1990-91 (mk4 shape) XR3i EFI was Injected (previous years were mechanical Injection).

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably applies to the majority of cars these days then :p

Amazing how many people you see on motorways etc, on their brakes every 10 seconds because they're 6ft behind the car in front, these people must get through brakes.

I hate those people. They have no chance if the car in front has to stop quickly.

Soldato
As a mechanic it's scary how quick some people go through brakes. In 12 years I have never worn a set of pads out on a car, it's amazing what a bit of engine braking and reading the road ahead can do :D

My record is less than 200 miles on a set of pads, that was bedding them in, couple of trips to work then about 20 laps of the local track. They were completely down to the metal so in once sense i did get my moneys worth.

Soldato
Engine breaking quickly gets expensive to fix.
Does it put much more force through the differential/gearbox than changing up ?
yes ok - if someone was following too close (increasingly they use active cruise though) and goes into the back of you, but I'd normally blip brakes too.

should probably use the brakes heavily, more frequently, (even ABS ?) so that there's no debris/oxidation if I did need to stop.

Soldato
110k and still going (not even an advisory on MOT). What is going on (not complaining though ;))

Well, back in the good old days when we were still allowed to use optimal materials rather than compromise ones....

Asbestos based brake pads would last for ever and the disks would too!

:p

Soldato
My F56 mini needed fronts and rears during my 3 year ownership from the factory. After some reading it seemed I wasn't alone on this however!

Man of Honour
Remember that autos don't do engine braking like manuals do. That's why I end up pressing my brakes often.

Mine does in sport mode almost as well as a manual amazingly (I'm actually quite surprised how well it manages to do that - occasionally it does too much engine braking when I don't want it but most of the time it nails it) - it doesn't really do engine braking in normal driving mode but I have noticed a couple of times it has but it is very rare. (As the transmission and computer is based off the 370Z it probably should manage that well though hah).

Have to say it amazes me how many people make heavy use of brakes to transition between speed limits - aside from downhill sections I can usually taper off the speed not too far from the signs and drop to the new speed limit just before passing through without touching the brakes at all.

Soldato
Also if you want some indestructible tyres buy Michelin primacies (like the gt86 came with) :D

Comically low grip, but you'll have to throw them away from age before they wear down.

Soldato
I am a brake pedal user but still use engine on a lot of occasions even though it's Powershift.

Years ago neighbour over the road had a Vauxhall VX490 and he came over and said his brakes had packed up - He used his gears to slow down for most of the time and just touching brakes to stop- He said I never abuse the brakes - So set to work on it and all four brake cylinders were leaking along with seized pads and shoes - I had to rebuild the whole lot. Since then I use my brakes as they are meant to be used and so far I have never had a seizure in any part of braking system.

One other reason I use brakes a lot is the wife slows down far too soon and just touches brake to stop. Need to clean discs up a bit

Best for wear tyres I ever had were Gislaved - hard as concrete and no way would they go round a corner if it was wet. Soon changed them.

Back
Top Bottom