My thermal flask test thread.

Soldato
I gave you edit though I think. Either way, post the results here and I can add them in :)

I don't really need a flask that much, I'm rarely away from a kettle for long. But it would be good to have some kind of cup for my car that can stay hot for a while. Does anyone have any recommendations.

I have one that I will be testing on Thursday if all goes to plan (and I remember to start the test on time).

Soldato
Yeah, in that spreadsheet will have to mention of what thermometer was used.

Just a change of mind, it is contradictory but forgive me, i don't mind at all anyways what i am doing is just a hobby.

@AndyCr15 controls that spreadsheet so you will have to ask him to publish results on it.
Thanks, I'll do the test and then ask AndyCr15. If you want a link to the Thermapen 4, I bought mine from Amazon. Last 6 colours are the ones to go for as the price is £51.60, the other colours are £64.80. Amazing bit of kit, so quick and accurate!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NDBXM4H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you would prefer to pay less, there's the Thermapen Classic which is £36 for three of the colours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ETI-SuperF...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Associate
OP
I gave you edit though I think. Either way, post the results here and I can add them in :)

I have one that I will be testing on Thursday if all goes to plan (and I remember to start the test on time).

I am rubbish with spreadsheets Andy, i need to add a new column specifying what thermometer was used.

Edit,

Thanks Andy!

Associate
OP
I will retest the sigg and tkpro because of the starting temperature.

I did a stupid newbie mistake, with the ThermoPro TP02S i did not remove the cover so that explains the starting temperature of 93c and 97c.

The only ones i would trust is the ones i am testing in the freezer, so i apologise.

83501672_10157926802052375_5507638019101818880_o.jpg
82527722_10157926802142375_3745393661739794432_o.jpg

I have deleted the rows in the spreadsheet and will retest them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just dug my 1.2L flask out, fully filled with boiling water to preheat it, then emptied and filled with boiling water again. Ill see what temp I've got at 3.10am, I'll probably still be up. :p Only £15, not expecting amazing temperature maintenance but its certainly kept my water hot enough for a few hours when I've used it.

20200121-211058.jpg

20200121-210930.jpg

Associate
OP
I just dug my 1.2L flask out, fully filled with boiling water to preheat it, then emptied and filled with boiling water again. Ill see what temp I've got at 3.10am, I'll probably still be up. :p Only £15, not expecting amazing temperature maintenance but its certainly kept my water hot enough for a few hours when I've used it.

20200121-211058.jpg

20200121-210930.jpg

I start mine ideally in the morning, i will be finished around midnight.

This has ultimately backed me up about the 97c starting temperature, thank you, nice to see my cheapo thermometer gave the same exact reading there...

Nice to have you onboard.

Dan.

Soldato
I start mine ideally in the morning, i will be finished around midnight.

This has ultimately backed me up about the 97c starting temperature, thank you, nice to see my cheapo thermometer gave the same exact reading there...

Nice to have you onboard.

Dan.

Glad to be of help. :)

Well I missed my 6 and 12 hour deadlines and will do the test again on Friday.

Instead of checking after 6 hours at 3.10am, it was 7.5 hours later at 4.40am before I got back to the flask which gave me 79c. Then I got back to it again at 9.40am which was 12.5 hours since the start and showing 70c. So when I get temps at exactly 6 and 12 hours I anticipate about 82/3c and 71/2c.

The water still felt very hot to the touch at 9.40am, and it looks like a cheap flask like mine is keeping similar temps to between the Stanley and the Ultimate flask.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well I missed my 6 and 12 hour deadlines and will do the test again on Friday.

Instead of checking after 6 hours at 3.10am, it was 7.5 hours later at 4.40am before I got back to the flask which gave me 79c. Then I got back to it again at 9.40am which was 12.5 hours since the start and showing 70c. So when I get temps at exactly 6 and 12 hours I anticipate about 82/3c and 71/2c.

The water still felt very hot to the touch at 9.40am, and it looks like a cheap flask like mine is keeping similar temps to between the Stanley and the Ultimate flask.
In such vital experiments to benefit a humankind, such amateurism shall not be tolerated :mad:

Soldato
(Since you do pre-heat in real life, definitely think that was worthwhile
- the radiation versus conduction heat losses in the different flasks may be different at higher initial temperature.)

In real life, you also take some cups out of the flask during the day, and the remaining liquid in the flask will, then, have acclerated heat loss,
so I'm wondering, if you should do that too ...... is the final cup palatable

Soldato
(Since you do pre-heat in real life, definitely think that was worthwhile
- the radiation versus conduction heat losses in the different flasks may be different at higher initial temperature.)

In real life, you also take some cups out of the flask during the day, and the remaining liquid in the flask will, then, have acclerated heat loss,
so I'm wondering, if you should do that too ...... is the final cup palatable

As I've said before, personally I would say we shouldn't. More complicated, more variables, more chance for borked results.

I'm not sure why everyone wants 'real world's results. Surely we just need to know which maintains temperature best? Do we really think one will perform better in a test where cups are taken and then perform worse in one they are left closed, compared to other flasks? Surely the performance will be the same? The only reason for real world would be to know what actual temperature it might be after 12 hours, no?

Associate
OP
As I've said before, personally I would say we shouldn't. More complicated, more variables, more chance for borked results.

I'm not sure why everyone wants 'real world's results. Surely we just need to know which maintains temperature best? Do we really think one will perform better in a test where cups are taken and then perform worse in one they are left closed, compared to other flasks? Surely the performance will be the same? The only reason for real world would be to know what actual temperature it might be after 12 hours, no?

This is how i casually take it as well Andy, i agree with what you have said, it gives us a good indication i think with how well it maintains the temperature and to give an idea of different variables.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The thermos ultimate 900ml is the one i whole heartily recommend to anyone why well it is smaller in size ( smallest when compared to all of my other flasks) being 900 ml or 500ml whichever you pick and does not cost a bomb for a decent flask and yeah decent heat retention up to the 12 hour mark.

The other alternative is the Stanley legendary classic.

I will test the Yeti flask bottle it is on the spreadsheet and apparently people rave about the yeti and or hyped and is popular from what i have found out, i will find out when i test the Yeti.

I would love to test more flasks but it is getting to a point where i have enough due to the folks here hah.

I would love to have tested the esbit flasks first hand but what i like about esbit is that they have tested their thermal bottles like in the extact same manner as me so i guess i do not have to bother.

Their website is > https://esbit.de/

Nice to have a manufacturer to report the actual temperatures when it is 6h from starting temperature etc instead of saying hot up to 6,12,24 hr etc.

83611853_10157935159602375_7123790803352158208_o.jpg

zojirushi also test their bottles the same as well,

https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/sjjs scroll down and you will see.

83360724_10157935178057375_1528307710771068928_o.jpg

Dan.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well my results are in. Not too shabby for a cheap double walled flask. Interesting how it lost 15c in the first 6 hours and only 10c in the final 6 hours. AndyCr15, would you be so kind as to publish my data into the spreadsheet. Thanks. :)

Product: Mountain Warehouse Food Flask
Size: 1.2L
Price: £14.99
Link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-W...ehouse+flask&qid=1579888650&s=clothing&sr=8-7
Tested By: Merlin5
Pre-Warmed: Yes
Starting: 98c
6hrs: 83c
12hrs: 73c
Thermometer Used: Thermapen 4 Pro
Conditions: Room temperature (17-20c)

Back
Top Bottom