• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are NVidia clearing the decks for a new high end card?

Soldato
Mid Range cards are not fast enough for 4k gaming which is getting pretty popular now..
Might be getting popular but people need to be wiling to get their wallets out to buy a GPU to drive it properly. Currently I'd not want anything less than a 2080 Ti at 4k. Maybe next gen upper-mid range might be capable enough but I doubt that.

Soldato
Gaming on 4k (native) is still a minority.

It's popular in hardcore circles like this forum, it's not popular in the casual market.

I **** you not, when I talk to my casual gamer friends - they don't even know what resolution is, when I tried to explain what 4k resolution they look bewildered, they don't know their current monitor is 1080p.

These types of gamers are gaming on 23 inch 1080p screens and they bought the cheapest model possible - if the cheapest model was a 720p screen they'd have bought that instead without realizing. For them it's all about the games themselves, not the graphics.

4k will only become popular when they stop making 1080p AND you can get 4k screens for $150usd - and it's not because the casual market wants it and is waiting for it, they buy these screens by accident and they will only upgrade to 4k when 1080p is no longer the cheapest monitor to buy.

It's EXACTLY the same thing that happened in the TV market - 4k only became popular when they stopped selling 1080p. If they still made 1080p TVs on mass and they were cheap, 90% of the market would be buying 1080p today still.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know a few people on qHD and 1080p but no one yet on 4K monitors and a number do like PC gaming quite a bit. OTH,I was the first amongst my group to go to qHD a few years ago,but it wasn't for gaming. Ironically I know more console gamers running games on 4K displays(TVs).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Been on 4K since 2014. Tried going back to 1080p and 1440p on separate occasions but could not go back after seeing the much better image quality sadly.

I would not mind trying 1440p on an OLED as I heard it looks quite good.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
according to the current steam hardware survey 4k single displays make up a whole 1.51%, 1440p 6.74% and 1080p 69.27%.

yes i know multi monitors and other things but you dont make profits on niche products for the most part unless you can sell them for HUGE mark up's with amd slowly grinding in to being slighty competitive maybe the prices will drop and people will move up in res but honestly as someone who has been on 1440p for nearly 5 years im rather shocked at how low the numbers are. but for now chasing 4k as far we'd all like it to drag prices back down i just dont see AMD going for it just yet, wouldnt be surprised if big navi is a great 1440p part but resonably priced.

as for the next line of nvidia stuff 10-15% jump maybe in max performance at the top end with another bump in top end pricing because if people are willing to pay why not.

Soldato
Been 1440p since 2013.
Since 2011 here with a Dell U2011 which I still have. No intention to move to 4k. I remember how long it took high end GPU's to run 1440P good enough for me. Bought a g-sync monitor last year and stayed at 1440P
Looking forward to 3000 NV generation and thought it would arrive 2nd quarter 2020 so we'll see when they arrive. Not gaming much at the moment but going to hold onto the 2080 until I upgrade - might even keep the 2080 for a spare PC.

Caporegime
But current cards won't be powerful enough to run future RT games.

I agree with you, they won't. In fact the Sharpening feature that AMD introduced with Navi was more of a game-changer for me as it didn't require any extra programming and the effect was fantastic and immediate :cool: (I currently have a 2080Ti and 5700XT)

Permabanned
Since 2011 here with a Dell U2011 which I still have. No intention to move to 4k. I remember how long it took high end GPU's to run 1440P good enough for me. Bought a g-sync monitor last year and stayed at 1440P
Looking forward to 3000 NV generation and thought it would arrive 2nd quarter 2020 so we'll see when they arrive. Not gaming much at the moment but going to hold onto the 2080 until I upgrade - might even keep the 2080 for a spare PC.

I think it was 2013, it was the very first Asus G-Sync Rog Monitor (about £600ish at time I bought after as it came down in price while), a TN POS with poor QA.

Soldato
according to the current steam hardware survey 4k single displays make up a whole 1.51%, 1440p 6.74% and 1080p 69.27%.

yes i know multi monitors and other things but you dont make profits on niche products for the most part unless you can sell them for HUGE mark up's with amd slowly grinding in to being slighty competitive maybe the prices will drop and people will move up in res but honestly as someone who has been on 1440p for nearly 5 years im rather shocked at how low the numbers are. but for now chasing 4k as far we'd all like it to drag prices back down i just dont see AMD going for it just yet, wouldnt be surprised if big navi is a great 1440p part but resonably priced.

as for the next line of nvidia stuff 10-15% jump maybe in max performance at the top end with another bump in top end pricing because if people are willing to pay why not.

Exactly. People prefer good FPS over a higher res. Because low FPS makes games horrible to play.

Soldato
Exactly. People prefer good FPS over a higher res. Because low FPS makes games horrible to play.

Again, these people are only the minority hardcore gamers.

The casual majority gamers don't care for framerate or resolution and use 1080p 60hz screens

Back
Top Bottom