• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon 5600 and 5600 XT speculation

Soldato
Another set out today with more fixes, 5700 Black screens isn't one of them though.

The funny thing is my mate has an RX5700XT which he bought months ago,and he has seemingly not had any of these problems. It reminds when I had an HD5850 back in day,and people had grey/black screen issue with that and I never had it once. Makes me wonder whether its something else at play here,ie,a hardware issue.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The funny thing is my mate has an RX5700XT which he bought months ago,and he has seemingly not had any of these problems. It reminds when I had an HD5850 back in day,and people had grey/black screen issue with that and I never had it once. Makes me wonder whether its something else at play here,ie,a hardware issue.

Been here before. Last time was Vega buyers that had poor PSU's or they were daisy chaining the same feed to the power connectors. Swapping out the flaky psu or providing two separate feeds cured most of this, so there were many a returned vega that had nothing wrong with it.

Not sure where this placebo of nvidia drivers being solid and have less issues, just head over to their support and see the same volume of complaints - its pretty even on both camps.

Caporegime

5700XT drivers did have serious issues.
I bought 3 5700XT's for three rigs and the issues were very really.

The 58XX series also had driver issues with that grey screen lol.

Soldato
5700XT drivers did have serious issues.
I bought 3 5700XT's for three rigs and the issues were very really.

The 58XX series also had driver issues with that grey screen lol.

I know as people were harping on about the HD5870/HD5850 and I was getting scared back then. Despite it being one of the earlier models,ie,reference it worked fine for years,and the two other mates who had the HD5850 luckily were not affected - I think one of them is still in use in an old rig(lol). The HD5870/HD5850 problem apparently was down to the the type of GDDR5 used,and one type had problems when the card entered the idle state. Its why it makes me wonder whether the people being affected with all these problems have a hardware issue with the card. But mate is not on the latest driver though.

Last edited:
Associate
Another set out today with more fixes, 5700 Black screens isn't one of them though.
Really disappointing this is STILL not fixed. I prefer AMD gpus but when a mate asks me what card to buy in their budget I usually recommend Nvidia, since I want them to have no issues and a plug and play experience.

Man of Honour
Not sure where this placebo of nvidia drivers being solid and have less issues, just head over to their support and see the same volume of complaints - its pretty even on both camps.

nVidia drivers certainly not in an ideal place right now IMO but several of the worst complaints to be fair are due to MS ******* around with things in Windows 10 and nVidia having to try and find workarounds :(

Soldato
nVidia drivers certainly not in an ideal place right now IMO but several of the worst complaints to be fair are due to MS ******* around with things in Windows 10 and nVidia having to try and find workarounds :(

Yeah its true and the aggressive updates turning on after big patches. In this case both GPUs are good but the software drivers can always be improved.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
It's a solid card performance wise, but it just seems so pointless now. The 2060 is essentially the same price and performance, has RT, and less driver issues...

Soldato
OP
It's a solid card performance wise, but it just seems so pointless now. The 2060 is essentially the same price and performance, has RT, and less driver issues...

Lets be honest though, RT on the 2060 is largely worthless. You take such a massive frame hit with it. Unless it can be utilized another way.. then I really wouldn't be buying it for that. The 5600 XT is faster it seems. However, then 2060 can be clocked, and the 2060 KO is around 3% faster than a stock 2060, even at the same frequencies.

If the 5600 XT is able to be overclocked further with something like MPT, then it will be a very good card to recommend.

Soldato
Lets be honest though, RT on the 2060 is largely worthless.

Correct.

@HeX The 2060 is only an option since they dropped the price because of the 5600! To again, highlight where people pluck out that there are less driver issues from nvidia is cringe. The 2060 has been out for 6 months. Let's see what price (and free games) the 5600 has in a month or two.

HeX

HeX

Soldato

Incorrect. Quite happily played through Control with RT, and have enjoyed replaying Quake 2 again with RT. Just because it's worthless to you doesn't make it irrelevant. End of the day it's additional features the 5600XT doesn't have at the same price point.

@HeX The 2060 is only an option since they dropped the price because of the 5600! To again, highlight where people pluck out that there are less driver issues from nvidia is cringe. The 2060 has been out for 6 months. Let's see what price (and free games) the 5600 has in a month or two.

The 2060 has been available under £300 for months, you could pick up the Palit StormX card for ~£279 back in November and that was with 2 games, this is just an official price drop. Much like how 5700 RRP is still $349 (~£319), but it's been selling for £299 for months.

nVidia drivers aren't perfect, but on the whole they do 'just work', you don't see hundreds of posts about constant black screening with every 'fix' under the sun ranging from using different power cables, using different monitor cables, turning off option X, enabling option X, undervolting, overvolting, sacrificing a goat... these issues have been plaguing AMD GPU drivers for years. Even more so since Vega.

Soldato
I have a few mates with a mix of AMD and Nvidia cards,including GTX1070s,GTX1080,Vega56,RX5700XT,GTX1060s,various Polaris cards,etc yet I am yet to see anyone having any major driver problems. If you go on the internet you might as well go and buy a console,but then most people I know don't seem to keep updating drivers 100 times a year for everything.

Incorrect. Quite happily played through Control with RT, and have enjoyed replaying Quake 2 again with RT. Just because it's worthless to you doesn't make it irrelevant. End of the day it's additional features the 5600XT doesn't have at the same price point.

The 2060 has been available under £300 for months, you could pick up the Palit StormX card for ~£279 back in November and that was with 2 games, this is just an official price drop. Much like how 5700 RRP is still $349 (~£319), but it's been selling for £299 for months.

nVidia drivers aren't perfect, but on the whole they do 'just work', you don't see hundreds of posts about constant black screening with every 'fix' under the sun ranging from using different power cables, using different monitor cables, turning off option X, enabling option X, undervolting, overvolting, sacrificing a goat... these issues have been plaguing AMD GPU drivers for years. Even more so since Vega.

So what - you could get RX5700 reference cards for £255 which is faster than your RTX2060 and the RX5600XT.

Big deal. I have a GTX1080,but I don't feel the need to say Nvidia drivers have no issues or few issues,and AMD has had driver issues for years.

RTX cards also had black screens too:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=rtx+black+screen+reddit

If that is the case none of the nvidia drivers would be listing bug fixes and Nvidia driver threads would be like a page long. I remember one set of Nvidia drivers would keep making Planetside 2 crash repeatedly so I had to stick with an older set of drivers. That was with my GTX1080 and I play that game a reasonable amount. It also meant I couldn't get improved performance in some of the newer games I wanted to play.I had a GTX660,which had a particular driver bug with one web browser,that didn't go away for months,and I thought it was a software issue,until someone told me it was a driver bug. Used a different web browser.

Yet at the same time,had mates who had an AMD card who didn't have it. The grass is always greener on the otherside. The same goes with Linux drivers,it went from Nvidia being the best and AMD being really ****(which was the case),to AMD having really good open source drivers.

Been around long enough to remember cards like the FX and their fantastic drivers,or the whole windows vista report where Nvidia wasn't certifying their drivers properly and causing problems.

You should know better too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Moreover,when the RX5700XT was available for sub £300,and its an 8GB card unlike the RTX2060 and RX5600XT,what is the point?? Even Hardware Unboxed,wasn't really that enthusiastic with either,as they said 8GB is probably what you should be aiming for. In the end how much better is a RX5600XT or RTX2060 than a cheap GTX1660 Super for £200ish?? A whole 20% to 25% faster. Meh. Vega56 was under £300 a lot of times. GTX1070 8GB cards were close to £200 too. All 8GB cards.

£250 is about the max these cards are worth,as is the RTX2060. No amount,lets pay more because the drivers,blah,blah justifies that these cards are overpriced.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love the comments with regards to the pointfulness (my new word) of the card.

Regardless of where it sits in a product stack, and regardless if another company has an equivalent card at a similar price, it does not render the card pointless. If you applied that logic to every other type of product you buy then why would there be so many phone manufacturers, car manufacturers, TV manufacturers or anything else that someone else makes?

Lets just have zero competition in every market place, at every price point, and see who starts complaining when you are paying more for everything and have to put up with waiting for the manufacturer to decide when the next product should come out, and charge whatever they like for it.

picard-facepalm.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom