What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
The Wandering Earth - 8/10 (Sci-fi)

As always, watch in Mandarin with English subtitles. Audio dubbing as ever is complete crap :p

A neat little sci-fi with impressive visuals, likeable characters and a sense of fun. Doesn't always take itself seriously, but has moments of tension and drama.

Thoroughly enjoyed.

Annihilation - 6/10 (the one with Padme) (Sci-fi)

Quite bleak, which I like. A touch silly and hammy in places. Ending unsatisfying, and the cut-aways to the present day really didn't add anything at all.

Another sci-fi and I'm a sucker for watching any sci-fi I can get my hands on. Some interesting ideas but ultimately never sets the bar above average.

Terminator: Dark Fate - Garbage/10 for a "Terminator" film or 3/10 for a generic film
<snip>
Couldn't be worse than Genesys, could it?!

6 Underground. 4/10

Some good Parkour moments, some good action scenes and some amazing camera work.

But, what a stupid movie. Didn't really care what happened.

Maybe worth a watch if you have absolutely nothing better to do or you are huge Ryan Reynolds fan.
I'd decided that one was probably garbage based on the trailer alone. Glad I wasn't wrong :p

Last edited:
Soldato
You should try Swiss army man or Horns. They're great. I actually admire Radcliffe for his choice of movies, people dislike him but he's taken on some strange titles and some have been gems in the rough.

I've seen Horns and thought that was great too I'm going to watch it again

Swiss army man I've not seen so I'll give that a watch too nice one

Soldato
I've seen Horns and thought that was great too I'm going to watch it again

Swiss army man I've not seen so I'll give that a watch too nice one
Swiss Army Man is a gem.

For me it was Starship Troopers - 23 year old satire on war is one of my favourite films. You can completely take your brain out and enjoy the corny dialogue, crazy violence, beautiful people and excellent special effects (still look good) or treat it like the tongue-in-cheek satire it is. 5/5

Soldato
A Fall From Grace (Netflix) - run of the mill murder, court film that really suffered from just being too long. 90 mins would sufficed but was much longer due to dragging out parts. Ending was alright but all just a bit flat throughout. 4/10

Soldato
The Gentleman - 8/10...tempted to give it a 9 but need a rewatch.

This is Guy Ritchies best work since Snatch, everything works, I could have walked back in the cinema and watched it again immediately.

Hugh Grant is an absolute standout, even "can't decide an accent" Charlie Hunnam was superb.

Soldato
Terminator: Dark fate. 6/10. Not a bad action film with some great sequences in. I enjoyed it overall but the agenda was a bit obvious at times. I, in no way, felt that Dani was a capable leader, despite them setting her up as perfect from the get-go. My wife has never seen the terminator films (something to be immediately remedied) so just watched it as 'Evil robots try to kill humans' and found it passable.
The de-aging at the start was amazing though.

Associate
The Gentleman - 8/10...tempted to give it a 9 but need a rewatch.

This is Guy Ritchies best work since Snatch, everything works, I could have walked back in the cinema and watched it again immediately.

Hugh Grant is an absolute standout, even "can't decide an accent" Charlie Hunnam was superb.

Loved to see Hugh Grant in this role, so good compared to the standard rom-com stuff I've seen him in. And Hunnam was pretty good to be him. McConaughey was good as always (I don't think I've seen him in a bad role)

Associate
Saw Bad Boys for Life yesterday. Decent enough action movie with a quite basic story. Smith and Lawrence played of each other as usual and did a fairly good work at that. Some decent jokes during the movie too. 6/10

Caporegime
Spectral - 4/10

Watched >60 mins but didn't finish. Guy does a "Voyager" and pulls new scientific discoveries out of his posterior in 2 minutes flat, every time a new situation demands it - roughly every 10 minutes between each action scene. "Reverses polarity" to make a pair of night vision goggles into a ghost detecting torch :p Invokes Einstein in technobabble about quantum breakfast cereal (or something).

I like sci-fi so it's always a shame to see dross like this being pumped out in the genre.

Good example of the ultra cliched trope: "They're too strong/we've got nothing that can hurt them/oh now we have and it only took 5 mins to throw together/this is their weak spot hit it for massive damage".

Boooooring!

Caporegime
Robin Hood (2018)

It's medieval times, but everything is done in a modern style. The crusades are the Iraq War. Everyone mysteriously has machine bows. Nottingham belches fire from the ground for no reason. It's a brave stylistic choice.

And I could live with it. It might even be good in another movie that really ramped up the gonzo. Here, however, it's just a strange nail in the coffin of a movie that teeters on the edge of being so bad it's good but ends up merely being mediocre, forgettable action dross. Tim Minchin's turn as Friar Tuck is lacking his trademark wit and charm. Odd casting. Ben Mendelsohn's turn as the Sheriff is exquisite but not enough to save this pile.

It seems to want to be satire, or parody, or allegory or something. The modern day political allusions are laid on thick and fast but never quite amount to a hill of beans. I rather doubt the sequel heavily hinted at during the closing sequence will be made.

4/10 Okay if there's nothing better on but in these days of Netflix there's always something better on.

Back
Top Bottom