BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I'm experiencing a mild wobble/vibration from the NS front only under braking at over 50-60mph, following hitting a large ratchet strap which fell off the pickup in front at around 70MPH on Monday.

The impact caused the (2 month old) tyre sidewall to split and luckily the wheel is fine, not buckled or cracked. Car is otherwise as it was, 2010 E92. No vibration, wobbling or tracking issues at motorway speeds and above.

It's in for oil, plugs and brake fluid at the start of next month so I'll have it checked over too but I'm thinking (from what googling tells me) that a control arm(s) might also need replacing.

Any other clues or recommendations to check would be welcome. Thanks.

Edit: Car's on 94k so these could well be due for replacement anyway but I think it's unlikely to be coincidence given the impact.
May be rotor related as these are worn too but not needing to be replaced just yet. Pads due in 2,500 miles.

Associate
I'm experiencing a mild wobble/vibration from the NS front only under braking at over 50-60mph, following hitting a large ratchet strap which fell off the pickup in front at around 70MPH on Monday.

The impact caused the (2 month old) tyre sidewall to split and luckily the wheel is fine, not buckled or cracked. Car is otherwise as it was, 2010 E92. No vibration, wobbling or tracking issues at motorway speeds and above.

It's in for oil, plugs and brake fluid at the start of next month so I'll have it checked over too but I'm thinking (from what googling tells me) that a control arm(s) might also need replacing.

Edit: Car's on 94k so these could well be due for replacement anyway but I think it's unlikely to be coincidence given the impact.
May be rotor related as these are worn too but not needing to be replaced just yet. Pads due in 2,500 miles.

I personally wouldn't be waiting for the next service, presuming you haven't already, I'd at least jack it up and inspect it.
If it was a something simple like wheel imbalance then you'd expect it to be there when accelerating and coasting too.
Affecting braking only "could" mean theres also an issue with the brakes from the impact.
Hose or rotor damage might be unlikely but still possible.

Soldato

It's almost certainly going to be your brakes. I'd be sticking my head underneath to double check everything is in order after the impact, but yeah, I'm sure a pair of brake discs and pads would fix it.

Man of Honour
If you are the sort of person who values outright performance and noise you'd not have the F10 in the first place. What do you even do with the extra performance to make it worth losing the better interior etc etc anyway? It's not like you're stuck in a slow car anyway is it.

Both the A3 and the 2 Series are a major step downwards in all of the areas that matter in day to day usage rather than that odd occasion when you can actually go and drive for fun.

Soldato
Soldato
If you are the sort of person who values outright performance and noise you'd not have the F10 in the first place. What do you even do with the extra performance to make it worth losing the better interior etc etc anyway? It's not like you're stuck in a slow car anyway is it.

Both the A3 and the 2 Series are a major step downwards in all of the areas that matter in day to day usage rather than that odd occasion when you can actually go and drive for fun.

You don't have to go and specifically drive for fun to enjoy a car.

Man of Honour
You don't have to go and specifically drive for fun to enjoy a car.

Of course not, but the chances to enjoy the performance difference between an S3 and his 530d are few and far between and likely involve a determined effort. The S3 is about a second quicker on a standing quarter than his current car, so it's not like the difference between a Focus 1.6 and a Focus RS is it?

So my point remains - if you're the sort of driver who'd genuinely get a lot out of changing to an S3 or similar then you'd never have bought an F10 in the first place. Remember, we're talking about about a guy who already has a weekend sports car alongside his F10!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Give me my F10 back over my M140i any day. The only three things I prefer about the 1 is the noise, power (it has too much tbf, hard to use) and the updated iDrive. Apart from that I'd rather my old F10 back. But I have to have a car under 3 (or 4, I can't remember) years old so not possible and a new 530d is more than I want to spend. Think I will get an M340i touring when I come to change.

Soldato
I personally wouldn't be waiting for the next service, presuming you haven't already, I'd at least jack it up and inspect it.
If it was a something simple like wheel imbalance then you'd expect it to be there when accelerating and coasting too.
Affecting braking only "could" mean theres also an issue with the brakes from the impact.
Hose or rotor damage might be unlikely but still possible.

@BennyC do you feel it through the steering wheel? What happens if you brake really hard? I'm figuring some debris has worked its way between the caliper and the pad.

I haven't done any hard braking, least not in quick succession. I should probably establish whether this is intermittent or persistent. Leaning towards the former truth be told which might point towards brakes rather than handling.

It's almost certainly going to be your brakes. I'd be sticking my head underneath to double check everything is in order after the impact, but yeah, I'm sure a pair of brake discs and pads would fix it.

Thanks all, had a quick visual on full lock earlier and can't see anything immediately obvious with a NS / OS comparison.

The only thing which did catch my eye were two kinks top & bottom on a connecting rod in the image below. That said I can't see the structural significance of this part in comparison to the actual control arms themselves but I may well be wrong?

I think this is actually a headlight leveling sensor rod that has taken a knock at some point when the control arm might have bottomed out. The knock on Monday didn't impact like you would expect to when hitting a large bump or hole, least it didn't feel that way.

cFcy5u0l.jpg

Can't inspect the inner or outer pad really without getting the wheel off which I might be able to do at the weekend.

Soldato
Is there anyone running a G20 330E here? just wondering what the real world economy is like, im looking at new company cars at the mo, and the 330e looks like,financially, a no brainer. But im keen to find out what the MPG is like on a run.
If you religiously plug them in they're marginly more efficienct than a 320i on a long run, but much more efficient if you're doing lots of stop-start driving.

Back
Top Bottom