Indestructible brake pads/disk

Caporegime
Coasting in neutral isn't specifically illegal. However, if you had an accident while you were coasting in neutral, then you could be prosecuted for not being in full control of the vehicle.

I wonder how anyone could ever prove you were doing that though (aside from anyone actually in the car testifying against you).

Soldato
As a mechanic it's scary how quick some people go through brakes. In 12 years I have never worn a set of pads out on a car, it's amazing what a bit of engine braking and reading the road ahead can do :D

My driving instructor advised against engine breaking citing that the stress put on the engine/gears/components and possible subsequent failures is more expensive than simply replacing disks and pads.

In reality, I do one or the other dependent on the circumstances.

Soldato
Coasting in neutral isn't specifically illegal. However, if you had an accident while you were coasting in neutral, then you could be prosecuted for not being in full control of the vehicle.

I am sure I recall cars from my younger days that had free wheel gearboxes, IE they effectively disengaged on overrun. Bet they must have been heavy on the brakes mind...

Soldato
My driving instructor advised against engine breaking citing that the stress put on the engine/gears/components and possible subsequent failures is more expensive than simply replacing disks and pads.

In reality, I do one or the other dependent on the circumstances.

I'd challenge anyone who says that to show one single solitary car built in the last 50 years that failed, or developed a problem with its engine, from running with the throttle closed for brief periods rather than relying solely on brakes. Unless he drives clog and anchor style (very wearing on components in itself!) then he's also driving off-throttle tens of thousands of times per day, just not for as long as someone who reads the road ahead and uses acceleration sense to vary the vehicle's speed. In fact any modern car's handbook I've read has recommended this over relying solely on brakes.

TL,DR: Nonsense.

Soldato
I'd challenge anyone who says that to show one single solitary car built in the last 50 years that failed, or developed a problem with its engine, from running with the throttle closed for brief periods rather than relying solely on brakes. Unless he drives clog and anchor style (very wearing on components in itself!) then he's also driving off-throttle tens of thousands of times per day, just not for as long as someone who reads the road ahead and uses acceleration sense to vary the vehicle's speed. In fact any modern car's handbook I've read has recommended this over relying solely on brakes.

TL,DR: Nonsense.

This was 11 years ago and he was in his late fifties, once I started actually driving it became apparent that engine braking is quite handy and it's now a habit I generally can't undo.

Soldato
I think driving instructors advise their students to do what they think will prolong the life of the car, such as mine telling me to hold in the button when engaging the handbrake to avoid wearing out the ratchet. Who's ever worn out a handbrake ratchet?

Caporegime
I think driving instructors advise their students to do what they think will prolong the life of the car, such as mine telling me to hold in the button when engaging the handbrake to avoid wearing out the ratchet. Who's ever worn out a handbrake ratchet?

Just had one replaced on one of our trucks today!

Soldato

You aren't supposed to press the button when applying the handbrake. If you slip it won't always catch it, I've tried :p

Back
Top Bottom