• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

But the chiplets are moving to a single 8-core unit, rather than a pair of quad core CCXs. At what point does the OS see a 3700X (for example) as an 8 core CPU? Does it know there are 2 CCXs, or does the IO die or BIOS obfuscate that? If it's the former then I can see additional work on the OS required to work with the new 8 core CCD.

Has this been confirmed? If so that is big news! Can potentially get upto 32cores on a desktop CPU in the future if thats the case, not to mention doubling the core count of the already insane 64 core EPYC and Threadripper chips

Soldato
Has this been confirmed? If so that is big news!
AMD did a presentation at the AI Advisory Council's 2019 conference back in September which had some slides showing the difference between EPYC Rome (Zen 2) and Milan (Zen 3). There was a diagram of the Zen 2 chiplet which showed 2 sets of 16MB L3 cache amongst the 8 cores and 8 lots of L2 cache. The Zen 3 chiplet diagram had a single block of 32+MB cache between the cores and L2. That could just mean AMD are slapping unified L3 cache across both CCXs to reduce latencies, or it could mean Zen 3 is updated to a single 8 core unit. So no it's not confirmed, but a single 8 core CCD is the rumour.

OC3D article:
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp..._architecture_details_and_zen_4_genoa_plans/1

Can potentially get upto 32cores on a desktop CPU in the future if thats the case
Not this gen, the next process node isn't that small. From what I understand, the chiplets can either go up slightly to 10 cores at the same size, stay at 8 cores at the same size but slightly less dense to improve thermals, or stay at 8 cores and shrink down a little.

That being said, the IO die will move to 7nm sooner or later which will free up a good chunk of space on the package. You'll still probably get 2 chiplets on a desktop Ryzen, but there's scope to add more chiplets on EPYC and Threadripper or add in something else entirely.

Those slides though still show EPYC Milan at 64 cores though, so I don't think we'll see core count increases in Zen 3. There's no point really; let the reality of 16 core desktop parts, 64 core workstation parts and 64 core server parts sink in before we move to 20 and 80 cores :p

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

AMD did a presentation at the AI Advisory Council's 2019 conference back in September which had some slides showing the difference between EPYC Rome (Zen 2) and Milan (Zen 3). There was a diagram of the Zen 2 chiplet which showed 2 sets of 16MB L3 cache amongst the 8 cores and 8 lots of L2 cache. The Zen 3 chiplet diagram had a single block of 32+MB cache between the cores and L2. That could just mean AMD are slapping unified L3 cache across both CCXs to reduce latencies, or it could mean Zen 3 is updated to a single 8 core unit. So no it's not confirmed, but a single 8 core CCD is the rumour.

OC3D article:
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp..._architecture_details_and_zen_4_genoa_plans/1

Not this gen, the next process node isn't that small. From what I understand, the chiplets can either go up slightly to 10 cores at the same size, stay at 8 cores at the same size but slightly less dense to improve thermals, or stay at 8 cores and shrink down a little.

That being said, the IO die will move to 7nm sooner or later which will free up a good chunk of space on the package. You'll still probably get 2 chiplets on a desktop Ryzen, but there's scope to add more chiplets on EPYC and Threadripper or add in something else entirely.

Those slides though still show EPYC Milan at 64 cores though, so I don't think we'll see core count increases in Zen 3. There's no point really; let the reality of 16 core desktop parts, 64 core workstation parts and 64 core server parts sink in before we move to 20 and 80 cores :p

Amazing, very exciting times ahead!

And yeah I didn't mean the future as in zen3, but a couple years down the line when talking about zen4 and zen5 where we could double the core count of what we have currently!

But yeah fair point, we need current software need to be able to utilise what we have currently to much better levels before increasing core counts even further. But that will come sooner than we think I feel, in the games department especially.

Soldato
Not going to happen next Gen or process I don't think (Zen3 or Zen4)

Maybe upon AM5/Zen5/PCIE-5.0/DDR5 etc I think they may well adjust then as I don't think Zen4 will be as big push for all those elements either in terms of RAM and PCIE. So late 2022/early 2023 if they can manage about 12-18 month cycle for that.

Associate
But the chiplets are moving to a single 8-core unit, rather than a pair of quad core CCXs. At what point does the OS see a 3700X (for example) as an 8 core CPU? Does it know there are 2 CCXs, or does the IO die or BIOS obfuscate that? If it's the former then I can see additional work on the OS required to work with the new 8 core CCD.
OS kernel scheduler needs to know rough topology of cores and caches to know relative cost of moving a thread to another core. That is the main reason for patches such as znver3 discussed above.

Soldato
OS kernel scheduler needs to know rough topology of cores and caches to know relative cost of moving a thread to another core. That is the main reason for patches such as znver3 discussed above.
So I presume then an 8 core CCD, rather than twin 4 core CCXs, would require an update to the scheduler. So if what @Postmodum was reading is correct then Zen 3 would still be twin CCXs, it's just unified L3 cache over the top.

Associate
So I presume then an 8 core CCD, rather than twin 4 core CCXs, would require an update to the scheduler. So if what @Postmodum was reading is correct then Zen 3 would still be twin CCXs, it's just unified L3 cache over the top.
Update isn't necessary, but will be beneficial.
And if you unified L3 cache, what else is there to separate CCX?

I have great expectations for large unified L3. Games especially will love it.

Caporegime

Dwarf Fortress especially will love it ;) I'm expecting good things.

Just got to resist buying a 3000 series when the B550 mobos come out. Will be a strong temptation, as I'm not counting on Zen3 being available until early 2021. Do I really want to wait a year?

Soldato

I can’t remember the slide perfectly but everything was joined up in the same way as the four core units, except as an 8 core one. I’ll be flogging my 5820k as soon as they’re out...

Soldato
I can’t remember the slide perfectly but everything was joined up in the same way as the four core units, except as an 8 core one. I’ll be flogging my 5820k as soon as they’re out...
Jump on the OC3D article I linked, the slides are in there.

It doesn't show the CCXs though, just the L3 cache sitting on top. So with Zen 2 you see 2 lumps of 16MB L3 cache, which we know is 16MB per 4-core CCX. The Zen 3 comparison shows a single block of 32MB+ L3 cache. That could mean it's for a single 8 core CCD, or the paired 4 core CCXs are staying, they just have a shared cache now.

Caporegime
Been feeling the same, 7700k @ 5ghz, had an upgrade itch for 6 months easy, 3900x or wait, problem with waiting is 4000 series looks like the end of a socket which would mean waiting more.

I have a 3600x and 1600x in other machines so i could do a chip shuffle i suppose when the time comes.

Soldato
Been feeling the same, 7700k @ 5ghz, had an upgrade itch for 6 months easy, 3900x or wait, problem with waiting is 4000 series looks like the end of a socket which would mean waiting more.

I have a 3600x and 1600x in other machines so i could do a chip shuffle i suppose when the time comes.

If you don't want ryzen 4000 because it's the end of life for the aocket, then wait for ryzen 5000, but ryzen 5000 will probably be first gen 5nm... so if you wait for ryzen 6000 you will get mature 5nm process

In conclusion, upgrade to the 6700x...unless you want to wait even more because let me tell you ryzen 7000 will be off the charts, not to mention ryzen 8000

Caporegime
If you don't want ryzen 4000 because it's the end of life for the aocket, then wait for ryzen 5000, but ryzen 5000 will probably be first gen 5nm... so if you wait for ryzen 6000 you will get mature 5nm process

In conclusion, upgrade to the 6700x...unless you want to wait even more because let me tell you ryzen 7000 will be off the charts, not to mention ryzen 8000

Thanks for that, i see the new influx of OCUK member are highly valued.

Associate

In the same boat, got a 7700k @4.8 and have the itch to upgrade as well, just trying to be sensible and wait until ryzen 4000 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom