What's the minimum sort of GPU?

Soldato
Hi all

I'm thinking of getting a VR headset pretty soon but want to get my GPU to the right level to be able to run VR...

I'm currently rocking an older MSI 670 Twin frozr and have upto £150 to spend on a GPU, any suggestions please?

System specs:

i5 6600k
16GB DDR4 2400mhz
EVGA 500W PSU
MSI Z170A TOMAHAWK motherboard

Cheers

Soldato
I see 1060 mentioned a lot as an entry level card. Take a second opinion on that though, and it'll depend on what your wanting play. There's a handful of VR or supported titles that require more powerful the better in both C/GPU, but most stuff will be perfectly ok on something like a 1060 or something similar.

Soldato
You can pick up an RX590 for around £150-160 at the moment, I imagine that would be your best bet unless you can up your budget a little. Other than that you'd have to look second hand, maybe check the MM and see if there's any deals going.

Associate
I have the rx580 8GB, Oculus Rift runs all VR smooth in it's native resolution. However when you start to bump up the super-sampling to get sharper images, it does start to creak and the GPU fan blows loud (not that you can hear it over your Oculus earphones. I am giving it another couple of years before considering a GPU & VR upgrade.
I use my gear for Prepar3d STEM events development too, with the latest beta updates, VR is much smoother, but with HDR and autogen set low. Again this is from the rx580. We run Nvidia GTX2080 and formation flying with live recording is smooth.

Soldato
Grab a used gtx 1070 or 1070ti from £150 to £200, you'll get around £50 back selling your current card.

I'd second this..

I bought a gaming laptop just for VR last year (2080max-q) which is about equivalent to a 1070/1070ti desktop in most situations and that is just 'right' in terms of ability to have good super sampling on lighter VR games but still able to run more demanding stuff with settings sensibly set..

Associate
I'd second this..

I bought a gaming laptop just for VR last year (2080max-q) which is about equivalent to a 1070/1070ti desktop in most situations and that is just 'right' in terms of ability to have good super sampling on lighter VR games but still able to run more demanding stuff with settings sensibly set..

I'd also second this - I've got an I5 6600k and a 1070, originally used with a Rift, but now a Quest with Link - works great.

Associate
Thanks for the replies, I was considering the RX590 i maybe able to stretch to that, If not ill have a look around for a 1060 6gb...

I will mainly use the VR for my racing games like Dirt rally, Project cars etc
Non native vr games need a bit more ooomf. I had a 1070 and dirt rally is perfectly playable on og rift with most settings turned down. I was not really happy until i got 1080ti though. Pcars is not as demanding as DR.

Soldato
Erm more power needed to drive higher resolution higher refresh displays, even a 2080ti isn't good enough for a Value Index in some situations whereas my original vive is fine with a 1080.

His Budget is £150. So it doesn't matter which headset he has, he has only £150 to get a GPU.

He should get the best GPU for VR he can within that budget.

Back
Top Bottom