Fidelio X1 replacements?

Soldato
My trusty old Fidelio X1 headphones are starting to fall apart a bit, especially on the left ear thing. I've had them since Feb 2014 so lasted a while.

What sort of replacement options should I be looking for?

Usage is mostly gaming/music on the PC.

I like having open backed, as primary concern is comfort over long periods of time. The X1's are very easy to work for hours.

For cost I don't mind spending a bit, but don't want to go too crazy, probably no higher than £250-£300. The X1's cost £150 originally, I can get the X2HR's for around £130 at the moment (but seen them go as low as £100). Think the X2HR's are discontinued now.

To drive them I am using the onboard DAC on my motherboard, an Aorus Master Z390 - ESS SABRE reference DAC (ESS 9118). By all accounts it's reasonable as these things go, but the X1's are easy to drive.

I do have the option to try and fix the ear things, but people on the internet said they are glued on, and aren't quite the same with aftermarket replacements if you can go through the hassle of changing them.

Soldato
Glued on the x1s. I used to own them.

Have x2s now, all round more balanced with less bass emphasis, very good for music and spatial awareness in games.

Not as comfy though the foam as the x1s but by no means uncomfortable and pads replaceable.

For the money for sound, materials and IMO looks nothing will beat x2s at the prices you quoted above.

Caporegime
k702 - £94 - were originally £300 back in the day when q701 and k701 were about (older models).

you won't beat them for competitive gaming. as in they are end game nothing is better.

if you want a more fuller warmer sound then get the akg k712 pro's but they are double the price for a very minor improvement in signature.

in terms of quality no real difference between them.

I haz 4090!
Don
Don't get AKGs if you want hours upon hours of comfort - I've had a few pairs now and whilst they do sound great (K712s were my favourite), the band can be a little uncomfortable after a while. I've had the X1s and X2s and loved them both, but my day to day headphones are Beyerdynamic DT990 pros. I prefer the sound of the X2s, but the Beyers are just out of this world when it comes to comfort, and there isn't a whole lot in the sound for me.

You sound similar to me in that you want a set of headphones that sound good, and you can wear all day without really noticing they're there. Sennheiser 599s are another option to look at.

Soldato
OP
Don't get AKGs if you want hours upon hours of comfort - I've had a few pairs now and whilst they do sound great (K712s were my favourite), the band can be a little uncomfortable after a while. I've had the X1s and X2s and loved them both, but my day to day headphones are Beyerdynamic DT990 pros. I prefer the sound of the X2s, but the Beyers are just out of this world when it comes to comfort, and there isn't a whole lot in the sound for me.

You sound similar to me in that you want a set of headphones that sound good, and you can wear all day without really noticing they're there. Sennheiser 599s are another option to look at.

I have some Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros at work but I find them v uncomfortable after a short while, seem to squeeze my head after a while. Are the DT 990's better in this regard? Don't know if it's because the 770's are closed back.

Caporegime
i bought a knitted cover for the headband £1 from aliexpress for the AKG's. now they are completely comfortable. before yes i was actually in agony from them the bumps. but the new ones don't have bumps so they should be extra comfortable with a full wool covering on them.

I haz 4090!
Don
I have some Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros at work but I find them v uncomfortable after a short while, seem to squeeze my head after a while. Are the DT 990's better in this regard? Don't know if it's because the 770's are closed back.

Really?! I am so surprised at that! Honestly, no I think the dimensions are the same. Do you have a huge head? I can honestly wear the 990s all day and hardly notice they're there.

Soldato

Was going to suggest DT990, if X2HR isn't available any more; but now you've brought up having found the DT770's not that comfortable after a while, the DT990 might not be the answer.

To my knowledge, they have the same headband, just the cups being different, so comfort should not be any different.

Comfort is like sound preference in some ways; not everyone will have the same experience.

Friend of mine has some Sennheiser HD25's and finds them very comfortable. I can't wear them for that long before they hurt my ears. Horses for courses, n all that. :p

Soldato
OP
Really?! I am so surprised at that! Honestly, no I think the dimensions are the same. Do you have a huge head? I can honestly wear the 990s all day and hardly notice they're there.

Haha, yep must have!

Just find them uncomfortable for some reason, which I found odd as a lot of people seem to rave about them.

Back
Top Bottom