Microsoft Chromium Edge - Now Available to Download

Permabanned
OP
Isn't it still under discussion? It's not planned yet but the developers are open to more feedback about it from users: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-january-8/m-p/1097194

Ah that's interesting it might not come if that's the case. Looks like more people don't want it integrated. Funny thing is most of them is saying because of privacy when Microsoft harvests data from Windows 10 anyway ha ha! so funny.

Could you imaging cross browser syncing, how awesome would that be! Chrome/Firefox sync. Means you would only need 1 account for all the services but the question is who would it be hosted with!

Soldato
Impressed with it so far, do wonder due to it being built on Chromium if it'll have the correct flag for the handful of sites that state you need Chrome to be able to use it.

Permabanned
OP
Impressed with it so far, do wonder due to it being built on Chromium if it'll have the correct flag for the handful of sites that state you need Chrome to be able to use it.

I have just checked my user agent and this is the following info I get inside the browser.

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/79.0.3945.117 Safari/537.36 Edg/79.0.309.65

Soldato
Could you imaging cross browser syncing, how awesome would that be! Chrome/Firefox sync. Means you would only need 1 account for all the services but the question is who would it be hosted with!

There was xBrowserSync which I tried when I was fed up with FF Android (Moved to Kiwi as it supported extensions) but wanted to keep using the desktop version, but last time I tried it, it had a lot of sync issues. Haven't tried it recently as Kiwi no longer supports the extension but seems development on it has stalled.

The user agent will disguise itself as Chrome if it detects a site that doesn't like the default Edge user agent: https://www.ghacks.net/2019/04/21/new-microsoft-edge-may-change-user-agent-automatically/

It's a bit of a mess but in future that will change with v83 which will unify all Blink based browsers with a universal user agent: https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-to-phase-out-user-agent-strings-in-chrome/

Permabanned
OP
There was xBrowserSync which I tried when I was fed up with FF Android (Moved to Kiwi as it supported extensions) but wanted to keep using the desktop version, but last time I tried it, it had a lot of sync issues. Haven't tried it recently as Kiwi no longer supports the extension but seems development on it has stalled.

It would be much better if it was integrated though and not with 3rd party add ons.

Soldato
Its an excellent browser I was using the dev build for a while, only issue was it started crashing on the emby dashboard so had to go back to chrome, think I'll try it again now its released though.

Permabanned
Its an excellent browser I was using the dev build for a while, only issue was it started crashing on the emby dashboard so had to go back to chrome, think I'll try it again now its released though.

I have never had that on Edge Chromium Beta or Dev builds since day one, but my Emby is/was always the Beta branch.

Associate
I thought I'd install this and give it another whirl. It's early days but the first thing I've noticed is that colours, especially reds, look washed out in Edge compared to Firefox.

I installed a theme but I don't think it's due to that. I'll keep tweaking but would be interested if anybody else sees the same.

Soldato
It's actually a decent, fast browser but i'm guessing that the flip side to accepting Chromium as your renderer is that you basically open your PC up to Google's data harvesting methods?

Back
Top Bottom