Star Trek: Picard

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I laughed when I saw you had spent so much time writing thoughts as you watched the episode but the more I read the more I enjoyed it. Seriously hope you'll do this for the next episode.

I can do. Meantime, if you want to see what happens when I do that for something that I dislike, here's one I did for the STD season 2 finale. ;)

And no, no mechanical keyboard. Just a cheapish Logitech one. I'd like to get a decent mechanical keyboard at some point, but this Logitech one simply refuses to die and I can't justify replacing it!

Soldato
@Panos

Yes, thanks for that. I actually had remembered that Data died at the end of "Nemesis" because I was paying attention. Were you?

So Picard goes to Okinawa to meet Dr Jurati. She relays to him what Bruce Maddox was working on after Picard shows her Dahj's necklace. But she never says when Maddox started working on the idea AFAIK. It could have been while Data was still alive (TNG established after "The Measure Of A Man" that Data maintained contact with Maddox to help him with his research into artificial life).

If Data and Maddox were doing research into this 'fractal neuronic cloning' before Data's death then they might have extracted something from the android's positronic net. Perhaps using a similar technique to the one Data used when constructing Lal in "The Offspring".

Anyway, just wild guessing until a few more episodes air to answer questions :)
If you actually watch it you will realise that Data remained in contact with Maddox, how else do you think Dahj looks like the girl in the painting, do you think he was stalking data and broke into his quarters to take a photo of it? And as for the earlier comment about DNA, there is no mention of DNA. They talked about positronic signatures & code which were obtained well before he was vaporised.
Lolpanos.

Data was NOT ORGANIC. Didn't had a single human cell except those temporary grafted on him on First Contact. However his "cloned daughters" are humans with positronic brains.
HUMANS, with organic HUMAN muscles! Yet they have the power of Hulk, jump 30 metres and with the agility of someone from Tarantino's film.

That means the Federation threw out of the window half it's directives to experiment on humans, human cloning and eugenics. The basic fundamental ideas it abhorred since before the Kirk era. (Khan and eugenic wars anyone?)

DS9 raised the issue on transplanting positronic brain on humans, while TNG raised the whole issue of Data and his uniqueness numerous times from S2E9 onwards.

Get real. This is a pile of sht. Supporting this series as "Star Trek" is only acceptable to those who have no idea of "Star Trek" before 2009.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only few things i think i dislike are 1. the girl when she leapt up the stairs was a bit unrealistic even for a android and 2. I just know im going to hate the romulan that looks like a elf from lotr with a sword later in the show. Rest of it seemed ok and really enjoyed the first episode so far. About the whole data positronic cells thing to clone datas is a bit weird tho.

At first i thought the girl was going to be lal, datas daughter, to come back somehow as the clues were adding up, but it wasnt. I know its a diff girl but i thought somehow they got her brain working and used a new body somehow but nope. That or starfleet used datas schematics of when he created lal and they then furthered his work to make a new daughter of data.

The switching to activate mode reminds me of when soong activated the homing signal to get data and lore back just before he died, as to what was happening to the lass, or some form of that but instead of going somewhere it activates a self defence mode.

Panos, i dont think they said the girl was flesh and blood only that she looked real, i think its just synthetics that have evolved so they can make androids look realistic as in skin and stuff i dont think its anything to do with dna or biological stuff just that they look realistic compared to datas construction as in better materials. The only thing they used to clone data was a positronic neuron or something i think the women explained. Tho how they got a sample i have no clue unless they used b4 ones when he had datas memories and gathered some to store for tests before it broke down and lost the info. Could be wrong of course.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Data was NOT ORGANIC. Didn't had a single human cell except those temporary grafted on him on First Contact. However his "cloned daughters" are humans with positronic brains.
HUMANS, with organic HUMAN muscles! Yet they have the power of Hulk, jump 30 metres and with the agility of someone from Tarantino's film.

That means the Federation threw out of the window half it's directives to experiment on humans, human cloning and eugenics. The basic fundamental ideas it abhorred since before the Kirk era. (Khan and eugenic wars anyone?)

DS9 raised the issue on transplanting positronic brain on humans, while TNG raised the whole issue of data and his uniqueness numerous times from S2E9 onwards.

Get real. This is a pile of sht. Supporting this series as "Star Trek" is only acceptable to those who have no idea of "Star Trek" before 2009.

Let us unpick this a second.

1) 'Data was NOT ORGANIC'. No-one here is saying that he was (though it was established that he had several organic components, but we'll leave that one on the side for now). No-one in Star Trek: Picard is saying that he was. Dr Jurati said that Maddox had been working on 'fractal neuronic cloning'. None of that necessarily has to do with organic life - after all, 'cloning' just as easily refers to backing up a damned hard drive. Combine Maddox's technique with a refined version of the one Data used in "The Offspring" and there's your brain/positronic neural net.
2) 'His cloned daughters are humans with positronic brains'. Are they? Or are they synthetic life that mimics human form? Have we been told yet? Jurati talks about humans with positronics added, but we don't know yet exactly what Maddox did.
3) 'This goes against loads of Federation rules'. Yeah, because the Federation totally stuck by all of it's principles all the time :D Or were you asleep for much of DS9 ("In The Pale Moonlight" being a prime example)? "Insurrection" was a doozy as well - the Federation council was perfectly fine going along with Dougherty's plan to relocate and effectively destroy the Baku before the Enterprise crew stuck a lampshade on it.
4) 'Only people who don't know anything before JJTrek support this'. I mean...have you ever actually read anything I've posted about Star Trek on here???

You don't like the series? Okay. You wanna rant about it? Go right on ahead, long as you're using spoiler tags I don't really have a dog in that fight (besides, I'd look pretty hypocritical after the mauling I've given STD's first two seasons!).

Just...don't try and tell me that I don't know anything about Star Trek, princess. It makes you look like an idiot :)

Soldato
OP
Thought it was a good first episode, and great that we actually get to see more 24th century earth cities other than just san francisco....even if it was a bit blade runner.

The only thing which really annoyed me for some reason was this:

when picard was knocked unconcious after the blast, he woke up at home. I'd assume some medical personnel, or those two romulans would have checked on him first and woke him up. It seems we should believe that in a busy place like that, only those two romulans he's living with found him and instantly beamed him back home. Weird!

Soldato

DS9 raised the issue on transplanting positronic brain on humans, while TNG raised the whole issue of Data and his uniqueness numerous times from S2E9 onwards.

Did someone fart in your face, you sound really mad.

Clearly you were asleep before 2009.
Nowhere did it state the girl was organic. You just jumped to that on your own. Data was in contact with Maddox for years so likely all the 'data' (pun intended) was gathered over a long period. The girls are still machines, but with a more realistic human look and feel, hell they don't even know they aren't real to start with

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The only thing which really annoyed me for some reason was this:

when picard was knocked unconcious after the blast, he woke up at home. I'd assume some medical personnel, or those two romulans would have checked on him first and woke him up. It seems we should believe that in a busy place like that, only those two romulans he's living with found him and instantly beamed him back home. Weird!

Zhaban and Laris (the Romulan couple) tell Picard when he wakes up that the police responded to the incident and found him. The police presumably got him home and his friends looked after him until he regained consciousness.

Soldato
Zhaban and Laris (the Romulan couple) tell Picard when he wakes up that the police responded to the incident and found him. The police presumably got him home and his friends looked after him until he regained consciousness.
wouldn't a hospital or medical facility have been the better choice for an older man unconscious? I would have thought the Police might have wanted to ask questions too?

Soldato
wouldn't a hospital or medical facility have been the better choice for an older man unconscious? I would have thought the Police might have wanted to ask questions too?

Yes, that was definitely jarring.
I guess they didn't want to spring for a hospital bed set that would be used for one minute. Old man found unconscious after an explosion? Send him home to his sofa before he's even woken up? Sure, why not? What could possibly go wrong?

JRS

JRS

Soldato

POLICE OFFICER 1: *waves tricorder over Picard* He's okay, just knocked out
POLICE OFFICER 2: We'd better call his home
POLICE OFFICER 1: I'll get onto it
POLICE OFFICER 2: Wonder what happened here?
POLICE OFFICER 3: Here's the security footage. Just him and some Romulan attackers up here
POLICE OFFICER 2: And he survived?
POLICE OFFICER 3: It's Picard
POLICE OFFICER 2: Good point, well made
POLICE OFFICER 1: Right, his friends say to bring him home, they'll look after him
POLICE OFFICER 2: What about going to a hospital?
POLICE OFFICER 1: You said yourself, tricorder says he's fine
POLICE OFFICER 2: What if we need to question him?
POLICE OFFICER 1: It's Picard
POLICE OFFICER 2: Good point, well made

:D

Soldato

Lolpanos.

Soldato

I don't recall anyone saying anything that Maddox has done was done with authorisation or with the Federation knowing about it, certainly the Dr (Jurati is it?) who was working with him before their research into synthetics seems to know nothing about it as she claims that sentient androids or organic android hybrids are theoretically 1000 years away as Picard says something along the lines of "then how was I drinking tea with one yesterday?" and she looks pretty puzzled. Sounds to me like he's gone off grid & has been doing work on the side that he's not supposed to and I presume over the coming episodes Picard is going to try to find him. Just because something is illegal, banned or unethical it doesn't stop rogue nutjobs from doing it if they have the knowledge & access to resources.

Cannabis farms are banned under UK law but they keep finding them!

Back
Top Bottom